U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 05:37 PM

6,373 posts, read 5,196,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Don't remove the tree without proving that it is the cause of the driveway cracks. The soil under the driveway may have been undermined by water or decaying materials. The original pour may not have been perfect. Clay soil may have swollen and dried. The roots may not be the problem.

The tree is a really valuable asset, so maybe if it took 10+ years for the drive to crack (for example), just take up the old cement, evaluate the established roots and soil, and if possible just pour a new driveway with expansion joints or whatever they are called to handle any minor future changes.

The feeder roots of trees (these take up water and fertilizer) are very fine and cause no trouble. Keeping the tree the same mass as now will slow further thickening of the primary roots. A little judicious pruning every couple years would handle that, but it might not be necessary based on what you see under the current driveway.
Good suggestion. My son was there when the old driveway was removed and the new one install (I don’t live in the area) and he said no big roots at all were under the driveway. I just thought perhaps the tree was effecting the soil underneath. The house does have a sprinkler system...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 06:41 PM

48,770 posts, read 47,054,962 times
It would help to know what kind of tree it is. Maple trees are known to have very aggressive surface roots that can affect driveways and foundations, while other types have deeper tap roots.

Any chance there is a groundwater issue affecting the driveway? Heavy vehicles?

Old 06-17-2020, 07:28 PM

Here is the tree; don’t know what kind of tree this is
Attached Thumbnails
Will drastically cutting tree resolve driveway cracking-2cdda613-13ae-4072-a5ed-227a6010096c.jpeg  

Old 06-17-2020, 08:56 PM

9,128 posts, read 7,749,468 times
It would be really good if the tree could be identified because then you'd be able to get a better idea about what kind of roots you are dealing with (if it's the tree roots causing the problem) and what is best action to take with the tree if necessary.

Looking at the glossy, dark green heart-shaped leaves I'm thinking that might be a Littleleaf Linden (Tilia cordata) but it's hard to say without a close up look at a single leaf to see if it has toothed margins.

If it is a linden I would not cut it down, I'd make every effort to maintain it the way it is. They are beautiful, hardy, sturdy, long lived trees that grow well in many different kinds of soil and climate conditions and are hard to beat as shade trees that generate a gentle, cooling breeze. All parts of lindens - their bark, leaves, flowers and fruits - are edible and/or used in traditional herbal medicines.

So - trying to get an ID on it, do you know if it has small flowers that are light yellow to white in color and hang in drooping cymes during late summer that look like these linden flowers:
https://www.google.com/search?q=tili...h=614&biw=1334

Old 06-17-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It would be really good if the tree could be identified because then you'd be able to get a better idea about what kind of roots you are dealing with (if it's the tree roots causing the problem) and what is best action to take with the tree if necessary.

Looking at the glossy, dark green heart-shaped leaves I'm thinking that might be a Littleleaf Linden (Tilia cordata) but it's hard to say without a close up look at a single leaf to see if it has toothed margins.

If it is a linden I would not cut it down, I'd make every effort to maintain it the way it is. They are beautiful, hardy, sturdy, long lived trees that grow well in many different kinds of soil and climate conditions and are hard to beat as shade trees that generate a gentle, cooling breeze. All parts of lindens - their bark, leaves, flowers and fruits - are edible and/or used in traditional herbal medicines.

So - trying to get an ID on it, do you know if it has small flowers that are light yellow to white in color and hang in drooping cymes during late summer that look like these linden flowers:
https://www.google.com/search?q=tili...h=614&biw=1334

Not sure about the flowers, I will ask. Although I have owned this property for several years, I never much paid attention to this tree.

Old 06-17-2020, 11:01 PM

5,695 posts, read 3,081,450 times
If the city or village where the tree is located has a tree ordinance regarding mature trees, you'll need to get written permission to remove the tree.

I agree that it is a shame to remove a lovely tree like that.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:37 AM

13,373 posts, read 23,022,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Ask your son if they can get a closer pic of the leaves.

We had 2 sugar maples we had to take out at our old house due to roots. My neighbor also let every volunteer tree grow in their yard. When we left, there was a tree taking over the fence on my driveway side

Old 06-18-2020, 09:02 AM

2,556 posts, read 1,198,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post

It's a beautiful tree. Don't remove it. Cutting it back isn't going to help either.

The driveway doesn't appear to be pushed up by roots so I don't think it's the roots that are doing the cracking. My experience with many homes and many driveways is that concrete cracks no matter what you do. The best you can hope for is to minimize cracking with the use of expansion joints or saw cuts so that the cracking appears in a straight line along the joints. Even that's not perfect.

Whether you replace that driveway or not there is another solution to the root problem. You can install an underground root barrier running parallel to the edge of the driveway.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=roo...ges&iax=images

Old 06-18-2020, 09:04 AM

26,650 posts, read 32,359,882 times
if it was a place i lived in, id remove that ugly tree from blocking my house. but as an investment all that really matters is your ROI. it would be a shame to waste money taking out a tree if it isnt really the problem, so id want to do my best to be sure of that. if it is the culprit, then you can either let the driveway deteriorate as long as possible or just get rid of the tree to avoid future repair/replacement.

just because people pretend to care about every tree now shouldnt impact what you do. do whats best for your piggy bank.

Old 06-18-2020, 10:57 AM

13,373 posts, read 23,022,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if it was a place i lived in, id remove that ugly tree from blocking my house. but as an investment all that really matters is your ROI. it would be a shame to waste money taking out a tree if it isnt really the problem, so id want to do my best to be sure of that. if it is the culprit, then you can either let the driveway deteriorate as long as possible or just get rid of the tree to avoid future repair/replacement.

just because people pretend to care about every tree now shouldnt impact what you do. do whats best for your piggy bank.
The tree is too large for the house. If it was in front of a larger house it wouldn't look so out of place. I'd put a dogwood or redbud there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or