U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 01:44 PM

6,382 posts, read 5,204,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
The tree is too large for the house. If it was in front of a larger house it wouldn't look so out of place. I'd put a dogwood or redbud there.
We are getting a quote for trimming it down to half its size, this is a rental property and I won’t get one more cent in rent by paying to have it removed and then having another one put in. I am starting to think the tree isn’t the cause of the driveways cracking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 02:57 PM

26,671 posts, read 32,380,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We are getting a quote for trimming it down to half its size, this is a rental property and I won’t get one more cent in rent by paying to have it removed and then having another one put in. I am starting to think the tree isn’t the cause of the driveways cracking.
exactly, nothing you do here is going to help get you more rent money so best to do what will cost you the least (considering the long run also).

Old 06-18-2020, 03:03 PM

920 posts, read 922,486 times
Quote:
Ahh.... but for rental property I love HOA’s, keeps the neighborhood to a standard and I get notified if there’s a problem. I really like that.
I like HOAs too, but i ask for forgiveness rather than permission (if it is a small project).

Old 06-18-2020, 05:53 PM

10,690 posts, read 4,851,467 times
Quote:
Be sure the services giving quotes can properly identify the tree and demonstrate they how to prune that species before anyone touches it. It looks so healthy now. Not all species tolerate aggressive pruning. If they damage or kill it you'll end up paying someone again to remove the mess they left!

Old 06-18-2020, 11:05 PM

8,916 posts, read 4,777,791 times
It's a great looking tree, certainly not out of proportion to the house or yard. It could possibly benefit from a bit of thinning and maybe removal of some lower branches to open up the area beneath it to more sunlight. The lone picture shows no driveway damage or surface roots so you may be "barking up the wrong tree."

Hopefully the contractor the OP says is coming will be interested in providing that service which will benefit the tree rather than just an invoice that will benefit themselves.

Old 06-18-2020, 11:44 PM

2,956 posts, read 1,307,809 times
Quote:
I own two single family investment houses which are side by side. On the front lawn of one, which is between both places, is a tree that has grown so very large. It is at least double the height of the houses and the limbs are so wide that it covers the entire front yard of its house, and the side yard of the other house.

Recently we replaced the driveway of the house with the tree directly in front, but the other house’s driveway is also pretty seriously cracked. There are no major surface roots, however there are no other trees so I am assuming this tree’s roots are the cause of the driveways breaking up. Its quite a healthy tree and provides nice shade. I am loathe to remove it so am wondering if I have it cut down in height to half its size and dramatically trimmed it that would help resolve the driveway cracking issue. My theory is the size of the tree causes underground roots needing to feed such a large tree which is causing so much movement under the driveways. I might be way off on this....

First thing to do is indentify the type of tree.

In layman's terms and from my own experience with this problem.

Poplar trees have runners/tendrils of roots just along the top layer of soil which snake in a random pattern far beyond the tree trunk. These "tendrils" pass under concrete and asphalt while they spread.
Yes they will easily reach to neighboring driveway and capable of further yet, no problem.

Characteristic of poplar: if you cut the tree its trendrils will shoot up out of the ground to find sunlight and grow leaves then eventually become a tree itself. One tree has many tendrils so you end up with a grove if you don't prevent it.

Call an arborist OR contact a tree farm and ask their experts what you yourself can do.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:53 AM

13,394 posts, read 23,039,297 times
Quote:
Please do not have it trimmed. People usually end up with butchered trees. As was mentioned, not knowing the type of tree can cause worst issues doing that.

Post a pic of the driveway before you had it redone and post one of the other driveway

Old 06-19-2020, 07:11 AM

6,382 posts, read 5,204,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It's a great looking tree, certainly not out of proportion to the house or yard. It could possibly benefit from a bit of thinning and maybe removal of some lower branches to open up the area beneath it to more sunlight. The lone picture shows no driveway damage or surface roots so you may be "barking up the wrong tree."

Hopefully the contractor the OP says is coming will be interested in providing that service which will benefit the tree rather than just an invoice that will benefit themselves.
That is the new driveway poured on Thursday.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:34 AM

26,671 posts, read 32,380,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

i dont think the tree gets a say in the matter.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:49 AM

9,138 posts, read 7,759,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont think the tree gets a say in the matter.

Ha ha ha!! The only time a tree has no say in any matter is if the tree gets chopped down and its roots are utterly obliterated. Otherwise the tree has ALL the say in the matter of what it wants or doesn't want and how it's going to perform in response to any given situation. Trees have minds of their own and they are stubborn, they do as they please and there is no reasoning with them.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or