U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2020, 09:26 AM

5,845 posts, read 2,857,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
We are getting a quote for trimming it down to half its size, this is a rental property and I won’t get one more cent in rent by paying to have it removed and then having another one put in. I am starting to think the tree isn’t the cause of the driveways cracking.
When you say "trimming it down to half its size", are you referring to topping it? Are you having the work done by some generic tree trimmers or a certified arborist? If you're having it "topped" then you might as well just remove it entirely because you'll be killing it in the end anyway and it will look like crap in the meantime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 12:46 PM

13,631 posts, read 23,189,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
When you say "trimming it down to half its size", are you referring to topping it? Are you having the work done by some generic tree trimmers or a certified arborist? If you're having it "topped" then you might as well just remove it entirely because you'll be killing it in the end anyway and it will look like crap in the meantime.
That's how I interpret it, topped and thinned. Taking the top off trees never grow right after that. They're butchered

Old 06-19-2020, 01:07 PM

5,471 posts, read 2,037,027 times
Quote:
I own two single family investment houses which are side by side. On the front lawn of one, which is between both places, is a tree that has grown so very large. It is at least double the height of the houses and the limbs are so wide that it covers the entire front yard of its house, and the side yard of the other house.

Recently we replaced the driveway of the house with the tree directly in front, but the other house’s driveway is also pretty seriously cracked. There are no major surface roots, however there are no other trees so I am assuming this tree’s roots are the cause of the driveways breaking up. Its quite a healthy tree and provides nice shade. I am loathe to remove it so am wondering if I have it cut down in height to half its size and dramatically trimmed it that would help resolve the driveway cracking issue. My theory is the size of the tree causes underground roots needing to feed such a large tree which is causing so much movement under the driveways. I might be way off on this....
just kill it. The roots will die and rot.

Old 06-19-2020, 06:53 PM

6,453 posts, read 5,271,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
That's how I interpret it, topped and thinned. Taking the top off trees never grow right after that. They're butchered
Yes, I wanted to “top” it. However, my adult son manages my rentals and just sent me a text basically refusing to top the tree but saying he will have it thinned and lower branches removed so the tree can safely be walked under.

Old 06-19-2020, 08:35 PM

14,857 posts, read 14,623,844 times
No, do not get rid of the tree.
it adds beauty and shade and desirability.

the tree is more important than the driveway.

the driveway is easier to fix than to grow an impressive tree like that.

explore other surfacing options for the driveway.
why not go with gravel? or decorative crushed rock other crushed options?
why not resurface the driveway?

in the grand scheme of things the tree is far far FAR more imporant than the driveway

Old 06-19-2020, 09:31 PM

27,077 posts, read 32,609,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
No, do not get rid of the tree.
it adds beauty and shade and desirability.

the tree is more important than the driveway.

the driveway is easier to fix than to grow an impressive tree like that.

explore other surfacing options for the driveway.
why not go with gravel? or decorative crushed rock other crushed options?
why not resurface the driveway?

in the grand scheme of things the tree is far far FAR more imporant than the driveway
im pretty sure that the tree being there doesnt increase the rent he can collect one tiny bit.

Old 06-19-2020, 11:30 PM

9,149 posts, read 4,877,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
im pretty sure that the tree being there doesnt increase the rent he can collect one tiny bit.
All things being equal, I'd rent the one with a tree. Real estate ads will often include the phrase "tree lined street" or "wooded area" to describe an asset. I've never seen one proclaiming "barren land."

Old 06-20-2020, 02:21 AM

13,631 posts, read 23,189,833 times
Quote:
Yes, I wanted to “top” it. However, my adult son manages my rentals and just sent me a text basically refusing to top the tree but saying he will have it thinned and lower branches removed so the tree can safely be walked under.
I just did lower branches on my 3 year old tree and I also did branches on trees lining the sidewalk in the woods next to me. A guy walking his dog told me he appreciates not being smacked in the face or having to duck. I try to post help every spring in my development FB group when the tree starts leafing out for everyone to remove suckers growing but not many listen. They'll have trees you can't walk under too. So much easier to prune them when they're young then to have to do it when they're established like yours

Old 06-20-2020, 06:26 AM

9,817 posts, read 8,659,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Understandable. No, pruning the tree won't really affect existing roots, and trying to cut them back could weaken or kill the tree itself creating other headaches. I'd agree with reevaluating the soil under the driveway, considering re-configuring it with expansion joints.

About time for the predictable "I'd never buy/own a house in an HOA!" reply. Three, two, one...

It took a while, but here ya go: When we were house hunting many years ago, I learned that living with a Home Owner's Association and Covenants, Codes, and Restrictions was not a life style I wanted. So, we kept looking until we found a very nice place, with good neighbors, limited CCRs (one page), and no HOA to enforce them. My kinda place, fer shure!
Don't cut the tree.

Old 06-20-2020, 09:31 AM

27,077 posts, read 32,609,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
All things being equal, I'd rent the one with a tree. Real estate ads will often include the phrase "tree lined street" or "wooded area" to describe an asset. I've never seen one proclaiming "barren land."
large tree on the front yard doesnt equal "wooded area" or "tree lined street." you are reaching to try to make reality fit your preference. this is also a rental and not a house that he is selling. the fact is that with or without that tree the rental revenue is the same. we can all speculate and conjure up real estate ads that we remember seeing sometime but we can just ask the OP if he thinks he can charge more rent because of the tree (or maybe even if it helps prevent vacancy due to desirability of the tree) if we want a more concrete answer. i understand that it can be desirable to people but im not aware of how that actually translates to dollars. im happy to be educated.\

oh and i understand that you are trying to make a point by using the term "barren land" but that isnt really appropriate. new construction communities are some of the most desirable options for home buyers by me and those communities typically have litte to no big old trees on the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or