U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 10:16 AM

4,049 posts, read 3,570,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It's a great looking tree, certainly not out of proportion to the house or yard. It could possibly benefit from a bit of thinning and maybe removal of some lower branches to open up the area beneath it to more sunlight. The lone picture shows no driveway damage or surface roots so you may be "barking up the wrong tree."

Hopefully the contractor the OP says is coming will be interested in providing that service which will benefit the tree rather than just an invoice that will benefit themselves.

I agree with the above quoted statement. The tree needs to be properly trimmed and some of the lower branches removed. That will provide curb appeal and shade. I would find out what type of tree it is and learn more about it.

Did the driveway that was removed have rebar in it? We've found that some of the builders in our neighborhood didn't add rebar to the driveways, but they did to the sidewalks. I see upcoming problems for quite a few people. The trees the builders planted are wrong for the size of our lots. There will eventually be problems if the roots are not handled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 12:50 PM

8,927 posts, read 4,777,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
large tree on the front yard doesnt equal "wooded area" or "tree lined street." you are reaching to try to make reality fit your preference. this is also a rental and not a house that he is selling. the fact is that with or without that tree the rental revenue is the same. we can all speculate and conjure up real estate ads that we remember seeing sometime but we can just ask the OP if he thinks he can charge more rent because of the tree (or maybe even if it helps prevent vacancy due to desirability of the tree) if we want a more concrete answer. i understand that it can be desirable to people but im not aware of how that actually translates to dollars. im happy to be educated.\

oh and i understand that you are trying to make a point by using the term "barren land" but that isnt really appropriate. new construction communities are some of the most desirable options for home buyers by me and those communities typically have litte to no big old trees on the property.
Just imagine how valuable they would be if they hadn't been clear cut. You apparently have some kind of tree phobia; the vast majority of buyers, and renters, don't and appreciate the value of having trees.

Old 06-20-2020, 01:18 PM

4,437 posts, read 13,109,822 times
Coming late to this "party". I have to agree with those who say do not top it nor thin it. Doing so will affect the health of the tree no matter its specie ... was that determined? I didn't see that it was?

Like many I am not convinced the tree roots are the only reason, if at all, for the driveway deterioration. In the photo it looks like the grass under the tree is doing relatively well. It wouldn't if the tree roots were that close to the surface and sucking away whatever moisture was available (something maples and oaks are notorious for, but their close-to-the-surface roots are obvious ... surface roots, if present, aren't obvious in the photo).

At my home I have a cracked driveway and there are no trees near it. We feel that when the driveway was put in 15 years ago (a HOA development) it was a rush job, sort of a conveyor belt line of driveways being installed, and there has been some settling over the past 15 years. We have irrigation heads along each side of the driveway ... perhaps a contributor.

If I was in your shoes I would consult an arborist, a real one and not a tree service who claims to be aborists. I would rather pay that small fee to know more about the tree, what kind of root system it has, what kind of trimming can be done without killing it. It would be such a waste of money, a big hit to the wallet, to take the tree down and grind its stump only to find out the driveways were improperly installed in the first place. Or waste the money on new driveways to find out it was the tree roots.

Your city or county should have a list of arborists to contact or even a master gardener group who can help.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:10 AM

26,681 posts, read 32,380,465 times
Quote:
Just imagine how valuable they would be if they hadn't been clear cut. You apparently have some kind of tree phobia; the vast majority of buyers, and renters, don't and appreciate the value of having trees.
yeah, because builders spend money cutting down trees because it reduces the property value. that makes sense.

i dont have a tree phobia, you just have a religious attitude regarding trees. my views are practical and you will just support saving the tree no matter what even if there is no benefit to the owner of the property.

funny that you know this to be true and yet you pretend that i am the one with an irrational sentiment on this issue. you think that you can will it to be true that trees are so valuable to everybody and it will always benefit them to save every tree.

Old 06-21-2020, 12:03 PM

9,145 posts, read 7,759,467 times
Builders remove existing trees and bulldoze all other vegetation because it's cheaper and more practical for them to develop/re-develop an impediment-free property than it is to plan, build and work around the impediments. Then after they've finished their construction they plant new trees and all new landscaping. Trees and landscaping are what give real beauty, character and life to a house and make it look loved and homey.

If the OP was knocking down the existing house in order to build a new house in its place then it would make sense to cut down the existing tree in that location where it presently is and put in new trees/landscaping after the new house is built. But since he is not knocking down the existing house, and there is clearly absolutely no landscaping of any kind to compliment the front of the house it's better to leave the tree where it stands. That tree is the one and only thing that gives any character and life to that property which looks simply like an un-loved source of rental income (not a home) sitting on an otherwise barren, neglected piece of land that even the tenants don't care about.

Sorry OP, no offense intended since I know you live in another state altogether and are not there to care for it but that is how it looks. The condition of the house itself looks okay to first appearance in that photo. But the tree has been badly neglected and ignored and the sparse, over-shaded lawn and lack of any other landscaping or garden plants outside sends a message to the rest of the neighbourhood about the residents and/or managers negligence and indifference.

Last edited by Zoisite; 06-21-2020 at 12:12 PM..

Old 06-21-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Builders remove existing trees and bulldoze all other vegetation because it's cheaper and more practical for them to develop/re-develop an impediment-free property than it is to plan, build and work around the impediments. Then after they've finished their construction they plant new trees and all new landscaping. Trees and landscaping are what give real beauty, character and life to a house and make it look loved and homey.

that is true but thats not the entire truth. if the trees added real selling value then more effort would be taken to leave trees. people like a nicely manicured landscaping, that doesnt mean they are paying more for big old trees. its funny that we are arguing something against something that we know to be true but dont want to be true because of personal preferences.

people love trees but most people arent paying more money for a house with trees. im not sure if anyone bothered to google this but i did and there are claims that trees add value and that is a biased interpretation of the actual studies. you can add some value with nice landscaping, nice trees that are well placed and enhance the home's beauty. that doesnt mean that any big tree on a property adds value and im sure we are all well aware of the fact that every town has a large selection of tree companies dedicated to removing trees from people's properties.

but post online and you get these people who have a religious zeal in defense of other people's trees (i bet many have chopped down trees on their own properties, but they had good reason im sure).

Old 06-21-2020, 12:38 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,204,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

If the OP was knocking down the existing house in order to build a new house in its place then it would make sense to cut down the existing tree in that location where it presently is and put in new trees/landscaping after the new house is built. But since he is not knocking down the existing house, and there is clearly absolutely no landscaping of any kind to compliment the front of the house it's better to leave the tree where it stands. That tree is the one and only thing that gives any character and life to that property which looks simply like an un-loved source of rental income (not a home) sitting on an otherwise barren, neglected piece of land that even the tenants don't care about.

Sorry OP, no offense intended since I know you live in another state altogether and are not there to care for it but that is how it looks. The condition of the house itself looks okay to first appearance in that photo. But the tree has been badly neglected and ignored and the sparse, over-shaded lawn and lack of any other landscaping or garden plants outside sends a message to the rest of the neighbourhood about the residents and/or managers negligence and indifference.

Yes, you did intend to offend because this discussion is if the tree is damaging the driveway and never asked for your opinion about the look of this residence which, in fact, is in top condition with all new appliances, flooring, granite countertops, lovely backyard and has a green, mowed lawn. I have long learned that most landscaping becomes quite neglected by tenants and in this rental range tenants don’t want to pay the additional rent for the Landlord to maintain landscaping. They are required to water and mow. If they desire bushes and flowers, they are free to plant and maintain them. Neighbors, believe me, more prefer barren lots than overgrown unkept properties with wild bushes, weeds and vines. Its a rental house and up to tenants to make it a “home.”

Old 06-21-2020, 02:06 PM

4,673 posts, read 5,817,318 times
Removing the tree might damage the ground in several years as the roots deteriorate also causing foundation issues. So, you need to investigate the cause of the driveway damage, as discussed above, and then decide whether you want to keep the property if roots can cause damage. The tree is very dense and does need to be professionally thinned to help the wind pass through it, reducing the chance of it falling in a windstorm. I know, that isn't what you asked but sharing my experience.

Old 06-21-2020, 04:14 PM

8,927 posts, read 4,777,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
yeah, because builders spend money cutting down trees because it reduces the property value. that makes sense.

i dont have a tree phobia, you just have a religious attitude regarding trees. my views are practical and you will just support saving the tree no matter what even if there is no benefit to the owner of the property.

funny that you know this to be true and yet you pretend that i am the one with an irrational sentiment on this issue. you think that you can will it to be true that trees are so valuable to everybody and it will always benefit them to save every tree.
Fact: Trees add value.

https://www.hgtv.com/lifestyle/real-...h-mature-trees

Many governments have laws prohibiting the removal of trees - do they do that to lower property values?

Why do you hate trees Captain?

Old Yesterday, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Fact: Trees add value.

https://www.hgtv.com/lifestyle/real-...h-mature-trees

Many governments have laws prohibiting the removal of trees - do they do that to lower property values?

Why do you hate trees Captain?
that is funny that of course you posted the same "study" that you see when you google it. its not saying that any big trees on your yard add value but of course you dont read it and only see what you want to see. right? you and i both know that you didnt read anything except the headline and the first couple of sentences.

you keep bringing up random unrelated "points" because you either dont understand what they mean or because you are so desperate you will just throw out anything in the hopes that it sticks. government's having regulations regarding trees dont relate to them trying to preserve home values or have anything to do with people willing to pay more for houses with trees. in fact, its the opposite. if people valued the trees so much, they wouldnt need to have laws prohibiting the removal of trees.

i love trees. they are great. i have planted a bunch of trees on my property and i have always removed a bunch of trees from my property. but that doesnt mean that every tree should be saved. sometimes when someone asks what they should do about a tree some people will just always see to save the tree and then lie about their value. they are liars but think its ok because they are doing good by saving trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or