Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 04:26 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Took about 20 pulls to get going again this morning...is a Briggs and Stratton 4HP "Quattro" model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpr9b0Qyfds

this seems to just be the same ole flathead they made for decades. Only with a plastic instead of diecast carb and it has a primer bulb. The old ones didnt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2020, 05:30 AM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
As a kid my dad made me cut the grass, Sears push mower. After I had cut off enough sprinkler heads/lowered the deck to scalp the lawn (figuring lower cut grass = less mowing!) and other things he had enough and announced he would be taking over that job again. 1st thing he does, he buys a brand new Ariens self propelled mower! Rear bagged, nice big rear drive wheel and of course it started with about a 1/2 pull. It was about $500 if I recall.

Years later, I bought my first house. I cut the grass for about 3 months, then hired a local guy to mow the grass from then on. I hate the noise, I hate the dirt/dust and even hate the smell of the mower in the garage!

Old 11-07-2020, 07:13 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Best to stay away from gas today. Glad i got my EGO 3 years ago bros.

Old 11-07-2020, 06:47 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Best to stay away from gas today. Glad i got my EGO 3 years ago bros.
It all depends on the size of your yard. You are not going to tackle a few acres with electric.

Old 11-08-2020, 06:59 AM

30,400 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
It all depends on the size of your yard. You are not going to tackle a few acres with electric.
Well most peeps don't have acers. My last Craftsman was a hunk of junk i bought in 2015. Worked ok for a year then started to have probs and paid to have it fixed and it was even worse so i gave it away.

This gas today we use is no good. I have used Craftsman since 1978 when gas was real. I was shocked the EGO has been so good.

Old 11-08-2020, 09:53 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,650,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Well most peeps don't have acers. My last Craftsman was a hunk of junk i bought in 2015. Worked ok for a year then started to have probs and paid to have it fixed and it was even worse so i gave it away.

This gas today we use is no good. I have used Craftsman since 1978 when gas was real. I was shocked the EGO has been so good.

LOL, works fine in modern cars.

You cant let todays gas set long periods, it deteriorates faster thanks to the alcohol. And todays small engines are made to run super lean. Meaning it takes far less varnish build up from deteriorating gas to plug them.

I have used alcoholic gas in my mowers for some time now, mostly cause its royal PITA to track down the non-alcohol gas. Drain it in autumn. Occasionally still have to clean the carb, just the way it is. I have gotten pretty good cleaning the Honda design carbs (Hondas and clones). And I adapted an antique adjustable Tecumseh carb on my Briggs, that all plastic carb Briggs use on their "E" engines (OHV) from factory is truly a nightmare. The old Tecumseh carb reminded me how much I liked the old style carbs with adjustable jet.

Oh another thing, even during summer use, want to use the fuel shut off valve if your mower has one. This keeps gas that evaporates from carburetor bowl allowing fresh gas down into bowl to continue evaporation. Just have to remember to open the valve before trying to start your engine next time. I even added shut off valve to one small engine. That Briggs 500E doesnt have convenient place to mount one between gas tank and carburetor. Small engines should just come with one. But obviously longevity of "E" engine wasnt a high priority for Briggs in designing it. I will look again when I drain gas soon after final mow of the season. I am however guessing it would require mounting fuel tank further from carb to give some room.

Old 11-08-2020, 10:41 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
I used to have trouble with small engines until I started doing the following.

I use Sta-Bil in all stored fuel. Then I filter all the gas going into the fuel tank I pour the fuel from the storage container into a another container to look for water in the fuel. Then I pour the gas into the tank I filter it with a paint filter.

Since I started doing this I have eliminated almost all problems. My mower always starts in the first or second pull and I have had the same mower for 10 years.

BTW people would be surprised at how dirty fuel is and how much water can sometimes be in the fuel.

Old 11-08-2020, 11:24 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
I used to have trouble with small engines until I started doing the following.

I use Sta-Bil in all stored fuel. Then I filter all the gas going into the fuel tank I pour the fuel from the storage container into a another container to look for water in the fuel. Then I pour the gas into the tank I filter it with a paint filter.

Since I started doing this I have eliminated almost all problems. My mower always starts in the first or second pull and I have had the same mower for 10 years.

BTW people would be surprised at how dirty fuel is and how much water can sometimes be in the fuel.
While I agree about the use of Sta-Bil most do not have to use it. The biggest problem consumers have is storing their seasonal equipment with very little gas in the tank. If you fill your tanks to the top when storing, you cut down on the area that can evaporate and you also increase the amount that will dilute the, otherwise concentrated, gas from evaporation. You leave just a little gas in your tanks and store your seasonal equipment and you are asking for trouble. Just a little gas will evaporate fast and turn to gum, the tank has more air space for moisture to get in, and you can have problems the following season. Top your tanks off and you will not need the additive.

Old 11-08-2020, 11:37 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
While I agree about the use of Sta-Bil most do not have to use it. The biggest problem consumers have is storing their seasonal equipment with very little gas in the tank. If you fill your tanks to the top when storing, you cut down on the area that can evaporate and you also increase the amount that will dilute the, otherwise concentrated, gas from evaporation. You leave just a little gas in your tanks and store your seasonal equipment and you are asking for trouble. Just a little gas will evaporate fast and turn to gum, the tank has more air space for moisture to get in, and you can have problems the following season. Top your tanks off and you will not need the additive.
I ALWAYS use Sta bil in every gas powered thing I have, and it has only failed me once...

The ONE time Sta bil apparently didnt work, was in a 48" Exmark walk behind, 18hp Kawasaki engine, I went to start it in March and couldnt get it to turn over, I found the needle gummed up in the carb...I still cannot explain that one! (Im not sure why the Sta Bil failed in that engine), it was the only time I have had carb problems in the spring.

It is possible TOO MUCH Sta bil was used, many people dont realize this can cause problems too.

Old 11-08-2020, 11:43 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Actually not so surprising. Farm kids with lot equipment around rare anymore. Farm equipment mostly computerized diesel anymore. Cars gave up carburetors long ago now and most people rarely even open hood on car and if they do everything is behind huge plastic shields to discourage tinkering.

Push mowers are still carburetor and magneto and people simply arent familiar with these systems. Yea they can learn, via youtube if nothing else. But why learn, just toss your $200 mower and buy another.... Low end mower for $200 seems crazy to somebody my age, I still remember when the low end mowers were less than $50. And they were around $100 forever. Until the relatively recent big boost in prices on everything. Squeeze out as much profit as possible.
People still have to check their oil in their cars though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden