U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2020, 10:11 PM

1,103 posts, read 216,216 times

Advertisements

Whats the most years that a push mower has lasted you? Friend mentioned giving $800 for a Honda push mower. Whole mower is Honda, not just engine. Didnt even have the GXV engine, had GCV. She loves the thing. Said she got tired of replacing the cheapo mowers every year or two. It also has some fancy variable speed transmission for the self propel. But $800? I got to looking and the cheapo mowers were $200 and up. Seriously? I still remember the bargain $49.95 mowers. And always been a $100 mower for several decades now that they could advertise to get people into store to try and upsell them. Absolute cheapest I found new in 2020 was $169. I wouldnt give over $50 for it.

I bought a new mower in 70s with 3.5hp flathead Briggs and got 12 years out of it, changing oil frequently, etc. But have heard of some of GXV Honda lasting 20+ years. Until I moved here 30 years ago usually just bought used mowers for $10 or $15 since I didnt mind wrenching on them. Get 5 year out of a $15 mower and it owes you nothing even if it is a bit loud and smokes a bit. Those are now more like $60 to $100. Sure glad the govt assures me we have had no inflation all this time.

Me, i need a more rugged mower for uneven terrain and some tall grass. For 20 or 25 years have had an old Yazoo from 1950s. Course have had I guess three engines on it. Last one being 5.5hp Predator vertical shaft from Harbor Freight. Really annoying the modern engines no longer have oil drain plug. Seriously using one of these engines on belt driven mower, makes draining oil difficult, you cant just tip it over, sets up to high. Last time had to remove engine from mower to drain oil. Wasnt a happy camper.

Oh I do have second working mower. Friend with the Honda gave me her old Murray high wheel that she couldnt keep running from not long after she bought it new. Plastic carburetor... SERIOUSLY? I made an adapter and put an adjustable carb from ancient Tecumseh on it. Runs nice. Its still cheap mower. But starts easy and nice backup mower. Heard this Briggs has some internal plastic parts so not expecting long life from it. Heck saw some mowers that say not to change the oil, just add if low. Ok... guessing thats code for this engine wont last more than two or three years no matter what you do, so dont even try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 08:31 AM

30,227 posts, read 66,741,855 times
You describe having more than enough experience with mowers
to be able to answer whatever question it is you might be asking today.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:41 AM

1,186 posts, read 281,924 times
You don't have to go a $800 hydrostatic tranny on a Honda self propelled mower. They have models that are much cheaper.

I have a plastic decked Honda HR217 with the variable speed tranny. I don't remember the price but it was on sale at the end of the season. Not had a bit of problems out of it. And I cut embankments with that mower so steep that you can barely stand on them.

There's no other mower on the market that's as user friendlier or more comfortable to own than the Honda. Thei grass catchers are by far the easiest to deal with, and they're like a yard vacuum.

And I've been through 6 Honda self propelled mowers since 1979. I've tried other brands, but keep coming back to Hondas.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:58 AM

54 posts, read 38,737 times
just to give you an idea. my craftsman tractor quit on me last year so I have been using my old push mower. I bought it new from rickel over 25 years ago. Still running well and usually starts on the first pull. Change the oil on it every several years. Now I have to try to figure out why the tractor will not run. It was about $130 back in the day

Old 06-21-2020, 10:59 AM

573 posts, read 316,952 times
Ha! When we bought our house in 1995 I bought a manual push mower for something like $150. Our yard is small but that thing didn't cut well at all. I sold it and bought the cheapest power mower I could find - a Sears Craftsman for $99. I mowed my lawn with that mower, making repairs as necessary, until 2014. I replaced it with some off-brand mower that cost around $190 (cheapest I could find). This year when I pulled it out of the shed for the first mowing of the season, it started on the first pull. I'm thinking this may make it to 2030.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:00 PM

1,103 posts, read 216,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You describe having more than enough experience with mowers
to be able to answer whatever question it is you might be asking today.

I have lot experience with small engines up to maybe 1990s. Have just replaced engines as needed on the antique Yazoo since then. Whatever I found cheap that I could make fit. This new stuff with variable speed transmissions and plastic carburetors is a Rip Van Winkle moment. Like I have been asleep 30 years. I really have no idea of longevity of engines beyond old Briggs and Tecumseh flatheads and the Honda GXV. I know some of early el cheapo OHV Briggs were truly horrible. The Honda GX and GXV are truly worth money if you are willing to do regular maintenance on them. They are indeed 20 year engines. If you can find a used one on a simple mower without all the fancy blade clutch stuff, will last indefinitely. The clone GX engines (horizontal shaft) are ok (like Harbor Freight Predator 6.5hp), the clone GXV engines (vertical shaft 5.5hp) run hot and not nearly as nice as genuine Honda.

I truly hope the Honda continues making my friend happy. She had lot grief over the years with cheap stuff. And she is too far away for me to wrench on it for her.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:32 PM

13,183 posts, read 16,607,938 times
I have a 30 year old reel mower. WD-40 after each use and every year a little lapping compound and run it backwards to sharpen.

Old 06-21-2020, 01:51 PM

962 posts, read 322,550 times
I always believed the best strategy is to purchase new super-cheapo mowers brand new ($150-$180). Use them for 2 seasons, maybe 3, then trash them (send to the landfill).

No oil changes, filter changes, blade sharpening, etc. No burden of ownership. Cheap and hassle free.

USE IT. TRASH IT. REPEAT.

And don't bother with the environment police crap, global warming nonsense. I don't worry about fake catastrophes.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:55 PM

2,682 posts, read 1,216,514 times
I had a White self propelled 22” mower that had a 6.5 engine. I believe I got six or seven years out of that mower, which was great. It replaced a Craftsman mower of similar power that lasted the same amount of time.

I am on my 3rd year of owning a $700+ Honda HRX217 mower. So far, I am not at all impressed with the Honda. I’ve had it back at the dealer 4 times for various work, and it needs to go back again for another oil seal leak. When this mower runs out of warranty I won’t be putting my money into it but will likely go with a good Toro.

Old 06-21-2020, 09:20 PM

8,743 posts, read 2,428,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
I always believed the best strategy is to purchase new super-cheapo mowers brand new ($150-$180). Use them for 2 seasons, maybe 3, then trash them (send to the landfill).

No oil changes, filter changes, blade sharpening, etc. No burden of ownership. Cheap and hassle free.

USE IT. TRASH IT. REPEAT.

And don't bother with the environment police crap, global warming nonsense. I don't worry about fake catastrophes.

I moved to a state three years ago that during the summer months that everyone has lawns that needed to be mowed from a state where almost no one has a grass yard so I needed to buy a lawnmower. I am cheap so a local pawn shop near me has lots of lawnmowers out front of their store. Bought a used push mower for $60. Have had it for 3 years now works fine. I have yet to change the oil, filter or whatever and its still working fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or