U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2020, 07:21 AM

3,125 posts, read 1,706,285 times

Advertisements

Well, now I know what to try for my poor little cherry tree, which has been denuded right down to the stems every winter by deer for the last few years, until we finally put it into a pot and up onto the deck where the deer were too scared to climb up. But I hate having to water it all the time in the pot, and hopefully it will get too big for the pot one day, if it can just get a deerless year.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2020, 12:39 PM

10,843 posts, read 4,915,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
Well, now I know what to try for my poor little cherry tree, which has been denuded right down to the stems every winter by deer for the last few years, until we finally put it into a pot and up onto the deck where the deer were too scared to climb up. But I hate having to water it all the time in the pot, and hopefully it will get too big for the pot one day, if it can just get a deerless year.
You'll need to put a wire cage/fence around the tree until it grows tall enough the deer can't reach the branches. Far enough away from the stems so they can't reach through the fencing to nibble on it. Be thankful you don't have to deal with the biggest member of the deer family; moose! That takes a major fence! All over my little town ornamental trees are fenced (anchored seriously into the ground) and/or swathed in burlap to protect them from moose (and probably wind chill) for months each year. No fussing around with soap, repellants, noise, sprinklers, hair, or anything else. Hungry moose just laugh. Gardeners get out the big guns right from the get go!

In a way, I'm grateful for moose. Prevents me from wasting hard earned income on ornamentals for the garden and getting upset when the long-legged marauders mow them down. They can pick out the most expensive nursery stock from a bargain basement hardware store sale plant immediately. At most I transplant native perennials they don't like. You can tell which those are...they grow everywhere. I can enjoy the yard (even though its a little less exciting) in peace. Still, the unpalatable natives can put on a great show without any pampering...
Attached Thumbnails
Is hair really compostable?-dscn0129-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-24-2020 at 01:48 PM..

Old 06-25-2020, 07:15 AM

3,125 posts, read 1,706,285 times
My first brush with moose was a trip to Jasper (Alberta) and those are really big guys! I can see not much would stop them when they get determined to do something.

Our deer are scared mice by comparison. Just as hungry, tho.

Old 06-25-2020, 01:22 PM

10,843 posts, read 4,915,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcairngorm View Post
My first brush with moose was a trip to Jasper (Alberta) and those are really big guys! I can see not much would stop them when they get determined to do something.

Our deer are scared mice by comparison. Just as hungry, tho.
Oh, maybe 10-12' chain link with posts cemented into the ground. Either that or solid plank 10' board again with cemented posts. Moose don't tend to jump, but they sure do lean.

Old Today, 10:44 AM
Status: "Floating on the Astral plane over Wisconsin" (set 22 hours ago)

6 posts, read 150 times
The long lasting hair fibers might make a good structural soil amendment .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or