U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2020, 01:40 PM

86 posts, read 15,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I just hire people. I stopped doing my own yard work about 5 years ago. Cutting the grass, raking leaves, shoveling snow, trimming bushes and cleaning the gutters runs about $1K per year. The one thing we couldn't hire anyone to do was weed two large (about 100 sq. ft. each) flower beds so we just dug then up and planted grass. In prior years we hung a half dozen potted flowers on shepherd's hooks in front of the front porch. This year with isolation we haven't bought any potted flowers. I should add that where we live water is very expensive. So we just let whatever is green and grows without watering grow on our lawns and keep it trimmed. Grass, weeds, crabgrass, clover, dandilions, heather, anything that grows without watering is welcome. No watering, no weed killers, no fertilizer needed.
Good idea. I think this is what I am going to need to do. I can do a little but I just can't keep up with the whole thing on my own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
No strategy here, I just spend my Sat AM out in the yard tending to things. Only takes me a hour or two to cut the grass on my 1/2 acre lot, and do some minor cleanup and I actually don't mind the workout as I need to burn off some calories as I have a desk job.

I could pay others to do it, but I don't want to. I actually enjoy it.
I do like it on a small scale, just the size of my yard is enormous. I'm looking into downsizing this next year so I will look for a yard without too much to keep up.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:43 PM

11,244 posts, read 12,186,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose998 View Post
I do like it on a small scale, just the size of my yard is enormous. I'm looking into downsizing this next year so I will look for a yard without too much to keep up.

I break it up into manageable chunks. Usually most of my effort is cutting the grass, but that's mindless work and my kids usually help. I throw my headphones on and it's no different than 30 mins on the treadmill for me.

Other stuff like bushes, and maintaining flowerbeds isn't a constant thing. So I usually do one task for 10 mins each weekend, and it adds up.

I don't have a pool. I've had them in the past and they can be a major time-suck.

Old 06-22-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I break it up into manageable chunks. Usually most of my effort is cutting the grass, but that's mindless work and my kids usually help. I throw my headphones on and it's no different than 30 mins on the treadmill for me.

Other stuff like bushes, and maintaining flowerbeds isn't a constant thing. So I usually do one task for 10 mins each weekend, and it adds up.

I don't have a pool. I've had them in the past and they can be a major time-suck.
Thanks, for the suggestion. I will try just devoting Saturday morning and see how it goes. I do hire a guy to do my pool. It is the best 110 I spend a month. I have tried doing it myself and end up spending more on chemicals and never get it right. He keeps my pool immaculate just coming once a week.

Old 06-23-2020, 07:42 AM

12,751 posts, read 6,093,253 times
Quote:
No strategy here, I just spend my Sat AM out in the yard tending to things. Only takes me a hour or two to cut the grass on my 1/2 acre lot, and do some minor cleanup and I actually don't mind the workout as I need to burn off some calories as I have a desk job.

I could pay others to do it, but I don't want to. I actually enjoy it.

I do my own also but I would enjoy it a lot more if it wasn't so hot and humid from June-October and the sun is so very strong here in SW Florida. The yard has to be mowed at least once a week and then I have to use the trimmer. I think I have about 1/4 acre? The yard is 80x125". I would have someone else do it but the budget got tight recently so I'm stuck doing it myself for awhile.

Old 06-23-2020, 09:26 AM

9,019 posts, read 11,881,916 times
If you can see your way clear to do this, have someone come in and get the yard in manageable shape, it may not be perfect, but at least you can then start a schedule of what to do. Psychologically, that works in two ways, one you will want the yard to look the way it does now and so you will keep up with it and two, you will not be defeated before you start, so that will incentivize you. Again as previously suggested, and again if you can see your way clear, have someone do the part that you don't enjoy.

Old 06-23-2020, 10:30 AM

2,051 posts, read 4,509,415 times
I pay someone to do that job for me.
I found someone I liked 6 years ago, and I'm much happier that it's one less job I have to deal with.

Old 06-23-2020, 12:11 PM

452 posts, read 498,507 times
At our other property which was an acre, I had to set up a grid for doing the yard work. I had over 30 trees, shrubs, rock, pasture, lawn...In AZ in the summer if I didn't prepare for it, I knew I couldn't be spending all day in that heat. So I set up a system where every week I would work in one area. It might be as simple as raking the rocks, or pruning a couple of shrubs; or it could be trimming trees which would take longer. The lawn and pasture had to be mowed weekly, so that was no big deal to do on another day. It was also cost prohibitive to hire someone. Local landscapers wanted $100/per tree for trimming, and $300-400 for weekly maintenance per month. So just for the trees it would've cost $600-1000 minimum 3 times a year!

I had my yard down to a science and it was completely manageable by myself. We had the most beautiful yard on our street.

When we sold, I left my landscaping grid and instructions to the buyers, since they asked who did the landscaping work. You should just see the property now. It's a disaster. Weeds everywhere, trees trimmed wrong or not at all...I know you're not supposed to look at your house after you sell because of this, but our friends still live on that street.

I should mention that one of the main reasons that we moved was because of the weekly yard work. I didn't want to be hanging off a ladder trimming trees when I'm 80. My yard work now is basically zero. All true desert. I love it!!!

Old 06-23-2020, 12:30 PM

39,715 posts, read 49,051,963 times
DH loves to tend the yard, and I like it too.
We both weed constantly, both by hand and chemical.
He mows every week (riding), applies fertilizer and weed killer a couple times a season.
Edges every few months
Applies mulch in the spring.
I choose the plants and I always know their mature size and their light and water requirements.

Part of the secret of not creating a maintenance nightmare is to choose the proper plant for the proper spot.

I just took a Master Gardener class and one of the duh moments was when the teacher said, if you don’t want a plant to get any bigger, don’t prune it and don’t fertilize it. Both pruning and fertilizing trigger new growth. I used to fertilize everything in my yard on the holidays..St Pats through Labor Day, but now if something looks healthy and I dont want it any bigger, I dont fertilize it anymore. A lot of our neighbors are on a vicious cycle of pruning the hell out of everything (my neighbor does the annual “chainsaw massacre “ the weekend before Easter). This is a lot of work, and looks terrible.

The instructor was against pruning in general, but I also prefer to let a plant have the shape it was meant to have.

Really, unless you enjoy it, or are physically unable, hire someone.

Old 06-23-2020, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
If you can see your way clear to do this, have someone come in and get the yard in manageable shape, it may not be perfect, but at least you can then start a schedule of what to do. Psychologically, that works in two ways, one you will want the yard to look the way it does now and so you will keep up with it and two, you will not be defeated before you start, so that will incentivize you. Again as previously suggested, and again if you can see your way clear, have someone do the part that you don't enjoy.
Great advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or