U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 03:46 PM

111 posts, read 20,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
DH loves to tend the yard, and I like it too.
We both weed constantly, both by hand and chemical.
He mows every week (riding), applies fertilizer and weed killer a couple times a season.
Edges every few months
Applies mulch in the spring.
I choose the plants and I always know their mature size and their light and water requirements.

Part of the secret of not creating a maintenance nightmare is to choose the proper plant for the proper spot.

I just took a Master Gardener class and one of the duh moments was when the teacher said, if you don’t want a plant to get any bigger, don’t prune it and don’t fertilize it. Both pruning and fertilizing trigger new growth. I used to fertilize everything in my yard on the holidays..St Pats through Labor Day, but now if something looks healthy and I dont want it any bigger, I dont fertilize it anymore. A lot of our neighbors are on a vicious cycle of pruning the hell out of everything (my neighbor does the annual “chainsaw massacre “ the weekend before Easter). This is a lot of work, and looks terrible.

The instructor was against pruning in general, but I also prefer to let a plant have the shape it was meant to have.

Really, unless you enjoy it, or are physically unable, hire someone.
Thank you, interesting points. I have also heard that it's best to plant things only if you think about the natural shape and the size at maturity. I planted a few Italian Cypress trees years ago and they got so much larger than I had imagined! I thought they would stay a cute swirly shape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 04:24 PM

39,738 posts, read 49,088,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose998 View Post
Thank you, interesting points. I have also heard that it's best to plant things only if you think about the natural shape and the size at maturity. I planted a few Italian Cypress trees years ago and they got so much larger than I had imagined! I thought they would stay a cute swirly shape.
One of my neighbors has an Italian cypress. It was planted smartly and is now as tall as the house and in a lovely spot. Less is more.

Old 06-23-2020, 04:29 PM

39,738 posts, read 49,088,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose998 View Post
The fun of gardening, if you find it fun, is to roll with the punches. I have knowledge, but I still can’t grow a decent tomato in Georgia. The fun about gardening is that every little bit of knowledge keeps you going.

Old 06-23-2020, 04:37 PM

2,947 posts, read 1,680,450 times
I pull weeds as I walk around and see them. No schedule, other than not letting it go so long that it becomes unsightly.

Old 06-23-2020, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The fun of gardening, if you find it fun, is to roll with the punches. I have knowledge, but I still can’t grow a decent tomato in Georgia. The fun about gardening is that every little bit of knowledge keeps you going.
Very true. I'm excited about starting a vegetable garden so I will have a late fall crop. (It's warm where I live.) This is my reward for taking care of some of the unruly bushes/trees and weeds everywhere!

Old 06-23-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I pull weeds as I walk around and see them. No schedule, other than not letting it go so long that it becomes unsightly.
I think this, along with a designated time on Saturday morning, is what I am leaning towards. I'm going to schedule a landscaping company to take care of some of the harder labor- trimming trees/bushes and knocking out most of the weeds.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:11 AM

857 posts, read 252,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Yes, I've had lots of encounters in the past with yellow jackets in ground nests. They have chased me and stung me and my dog multiple times, and even chased me and stung me on my riding mower. They sting multiple times because they have a straight stinger and can sting, circle around and sting again without dying like a bee will with it's curved stinger that they lose if they sting. In the past I just avoided them if possible. I noticed they seem to leave the ground nest after a few years.
Yellow jackets chase you? And then sting you? Wow. I am glad I have never even seen a yellow jacket where I live... that sounds pretty scary.

And what about those Murder Hornets that were supposed to come here?

Old 06-24-2020, 02:55 PM

9,246 posts, read 7,797,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daffodil_fields View Post

.... And what about those Murder Hornets that were supposed to come here?
Please don't call them that name, it's very wrong and calling them that has now perpetuated a lot of really serious trouble for farmers, bee keepers and honey bees across North America.

The hornets are called Asian Giant Hornets, not Murder Hornets. Murder Hornets is nothing but a harmful, sensationalist fad name that was made up by some stupid idiots on news and social media several weeks ago. They did it to shock and terrify people and the fad name went viral and sure enough it frightened a lot of gullible people into a panic.

Now as a consequence of people using that stupid name there are more panicking ignorant idiots are killing harmless honey bees and wild garden bees with insecticides because they think any bees they see are killer hornets that are going to come after them and murder them in their beds.

The Asian Giant Hornets are in the Pacific North West in Washington and British Columbia. They have not been sighted anywhere else in North America.

Old 06-24-2020, 03:26 PM

18,371 posts, read 8,665,979 times
I have no green grass to cut, gardening is my exercise. Haven’t hired a single person for years now. Maybe in 10 years when my husband slows down.

Old 06-24-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I have no green grass to cut, gardening is my exercise. Haven’t hired a single person for years now. Maybe in 10 years when my husband slows down.
Do you have a schedule or certain day you work on your yard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or