U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

10,871 posts, read 4,915,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't think so. It isn't easily digestible hay, it's coarse bedding straw at this stage. It's tinder.

It looks like it could have made good green browse at a much earlier stage before it went to seed. But if you were a cow or sheep you wouldn't touch it now the way it is unless you were starving and really desperate. For fodder of nutritional value, energy and palatability it has to be either browsed on the hoof or else cut and cured while it's still tender and green with some sweet juice in it and milk in the seeds, before it's gone to mature seed and all toughened up into stiff straw like wood fiber.

Looking at the OP's latest photos there are other species mixed into the grass that aren't palatable even if they were newly greened up! Midsummer's too late to get much value out of grazing that. However, a herd might simply trample it down a little for you if that's what you want! And probably introduce even more noxious invasive weeds than there are already.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 01:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

26,840 posts, read 32,438,785 times
looks delicious

Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM

737 posts, read 259,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
looks delicious
Such drastically different opinions... Any plant experts or sheep rancher to add input?

On the slope there are all kinds of vegetation mixed in; on the flat area though there is mainly this grass plant. I assume this was not the originall vegetation, but laid-down grass turf. Hope someone can identify this grass type and maybe its characteristics.

I wonder if I can change into some ground cover grass that does not grow so tall, therefore does not need mowing.

Old Yesterday, 04:39 PM

1,800 posts, read 1,162,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
This isn't 1970. Finding a responsible kid like that is not so easy these days.
In our neighborhood - actually, in the adjoining neighborhoods as well - there is no shortage of high school and college kids posting on NextDoor offering basic mowing and trimming, they supply the tools and gas. Same for pet sitting, dog walking, child care (some of these are college kids in early childhood development/elementary education programs and before that were through babysitting courses and are Red Cross certified ... so much different than when I was a kid).

Price for mowing is dependent on lot size and the market, because some years there is a glut of kids willing to mow and they drop their prices. But in the ten years we've been here, there's never been an issue getting someone to mow when needed and it has always been fine.

We also have a lot of people who use commercial services - no shortage of lawncare companies in the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro. And a lot who mow themselves.

Old Yesterday, 06:31 PM

7,138 posts, read 4,976,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Not sure of you are asking about the math or is it a rhetorical question. But here is my calculation:

An office worker works 40 hours a week. There are 52 weeks a year, so that's 52X40=2080 hours. For simplicity we usually just use 2000 to do the conversion.

This means, a McDonald's hourly worker who gets paid $15/hr, is equivalent to an annual salary of 15X2000=30K.

On the reverse, someone making $100K annually salary, is making a $100,000/2000=$50/hr hourly wage.

This lawn mower's requested rate is equivalent to 45X2000=$90K salary if he/she works a full 2000 hours a year like an office worker.
Did you back out the cost of vehicle, gas , insurance, maintenance. Then cost of equipment, gas and maintenance. How about cost of health insurance? How about time between jobs where he isn’t mowing. It always amazes me how people think the guy pockets all that money and has no expenses.

Old Yesterday, 06:33 PM

7,138 posts, read 4,976,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
It depends on what kind of mower they're using. A neighborhood kid with a push mower doesn't have much overhead, and you're paying almost exclusively for labor plus a bit for gas plus a tiny bit of amo on the cost of the mower. $40-$45 would be above market in that case.

If they have serious (expensive) machinery that cuts a large area fast, and they have to travel to the job site and transport the equipment on a truck or trailer, that's different.
I see kids who will mow your lawn but you have to provide all the equipment, etc.

Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM

8,217 posts, read 13,704,147 times
Seeing the prices now makes me think back to when I was 13 and mowing yards. Finally got Mr. Holt down the street to let me mow his huge (probably close to half acre) yard for $7.50! Beat the heck out of the $3 and $5 yards. And that was with a push mower and trimming around with those old clippers. Weed eaters hadn't been heard of yet.

Old Yesterday, 08:34 PM

331 posts, read 174,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Seeing the prices now makes me think back to when I was 13 and mowing yards. Finally got Mr. Holt down the street to let me mow his huge (probably close to half acre) yard for $7.50! Beat the heck out of the $3 and $5 yards. And that was with a push mower and trimming around with those old clippers. Weed eaters hadn't been heard of yet.
If that was 1972, using an inflation calculator, it would be $46

I purchased a 200 year old scythe last year that would work. My neighbors gave me some funny looks last year when I used it. It also doubles as a Halloween prop.

Last edited by TheGrandViking; Yesterday at 08:44 PM..

Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM

18,639 posts, read 8,800,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Such drastically different opinions... Any plant experts or sheep rancher to add input?

On the slope there are all kinds of vegetation mixed in; on the flat area though there is mainly this grass plant. I assume this was not the originall vegetation, but laid-down grass turf. Hope someone can identify this grass type and maybe its characteristics.

I wonder if I can change into some ground cover grass that does not grow so tall, therefore does not need mowing.
You could get a goat!

Old Yesterday, 11:29 PM

9,010 posts, read 4,808,427 times
You asked why you need to only cut the top and not the face of the bluff; probably because the vegetation growing on the face holds the soil in place and prevents erosion.

Do the fire regulations require the clippings to be removed or can they just be allowed to break down where they're cut?

What is the terrain actually like underfoot? You have mentioned that it may have been a manicured lawn at one time; does that mean it is level or even or is it rutted with debris in it that would hamper cutting it? Has the guy seen the property or is his price based on what he's used to at the neighbor's house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden