U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 05:17 PM

10,984 posts, read 4,967,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Plant #23

This is a tree with 1' diameter trunk, although it fell down and is lying sideways.

Attachment 221746

Attachment 221747
Betting it's shore pine (Pinus contorta). I don't know the coastal pines well. Have to count the needles in the clusters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 05:18 PM

9,268 posts, read 7,815,462 times
Quote:
Plant #22

Is this the leaves of Cow Parsnip? I know I have Cow Parsnip.

Attachment 221745
Yes, that looks like Cow Parsnip. How tall is it? If it's quite tall I'd say cow parnsip, but if it's less than 3 feet tall I'd say it might be angelica.

Quote:
Plant #23

This is a tree with 1' diameter trunk, although it fell down and is lying sideways.

Attachment 221746

Attachment 221747
Definitely a pine, I don't know what kind though. Personally I would get rid of it if it's already down because if that catches on fire it is so incredibly flammable it will burst into flames like a bomb going off and literally explode into many pieces like fireworks going off and shoot burning bits of pine wood and pine heart pitch-sap very far away in all directions and start many more fires further away.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:39 PM

18,136 posts, read 8,565,804 times
Quote:
I got a quote to mow grass, for fire prevention purpose (as opposed to beautifying the hosue). I haven't asked estimated hours yet; this hourly rate already pauses me. Is that a normal price range for mowing grass these days? This is around Albion CA.

$45/hr = $90K annual salary... It seems just yesterday that hourly workers were fighting for living wage.
I highly doubt that these lawn mowers are working 40 hours a week at that salary. And, even if they are, there's overhead and other expenses, too, so the salary would be less than 90k. If this is a one man show, perhaps he'd earn closer to 90k. But if this is a larger business, the business owner will take his cut, in addition to the expenses alluded to above, before the laborer gets paid.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:11 PM

759 posts, read 268,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Looks more like Angelica...same family as cow parsnip (Heracleum) they can look similar when newly emerged. Doesn't grow as large as cow parsnip. Similar phototoxic skin reaction as cow parsnip but IME less intense. They often grow in the same areas. Good bear food.
I think this is cow parsnip. They grow to be about 5' tall by my estimate. I have not been able to walk up to a stalk to see what the leaves on the bottom look like.

-45/hr to mow the grass - is that a bit steep?-cow-parsnip-summer.jpg

Last edited by RobertFisher; 07-01-2020 at 06:32 PM..

Old 07-01-2020, 06:23 PM

209 posts, read 63,443 times
That's when you get your neighbor's kid to mow your grass for $20.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:36 PM

24,735 posts, read 32,437,646 times
Quote:
... Any plant experts or sheep rancher to add input?.....

Sheep or cattle might be able to pick a few things out of that mess in the early spring when things are just starting to green up.

I would not put my own sheep or cattle on that for a couple of reasons.

There is very little there to eat and there are things that livestock should not eat. If stock gets hungry enough, they will start to eat things that are bad for them, and there isn't enough there to fill them up with good feed.

The biggest problem is that the field is far too small for livestock. In the spring, cattle would turn that into a mucky muddy mess and you would quickly have a serious erosion problem because it is on a hillside.

Sheep don't eat garbage so there is very little there for sheep to eat. You could put 3-4 sheep on that small area for a couple of days, but then you would either have to take them off or else start to feed them hay.

It looks to me like there is a lot of cheat grass, which can be deadly for livestock and pets. Even before the dangerous seeds form, stock won't eat the grass, so no benefit to putting them on a field of cheat when it first comes up.

Keep in mind, on a hillside you want the plants to have roots to hold the soil. You don't want the soil turned up or all the plants killed and gone. What you are doing is trimming them short to help control wildfire.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:40 PM

Plant #24

Just to catalog it, there is of course the CA puppy also.

-45/hr to mow the grass - is that a bit steep?-dsc01973b-large-.jpg

Dried up shape of what I think is cow parsnip:

-45/hr to mow the grass - is that a bit steep?-dsc09269b.jpg

Old 07-01-2020, 06:46 PM

Plant #25

This plant with feather like tip is about 8-10' tall.

-45/hr to mow the grass - is that a bit steep?-dsc02084-large-.jpg

Old 07-01-2020, 06:58 PM

10,984 posts, read 4,967,658 times
Quote:
Plant #25

This plant with feather like tip is about 8-10' tall.

Attachment 221754
Yuck! Looks like the invasive common reed Phragmites. You really don't want that to spread!

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-01-2020 at 07:17 PM..

Old 07-01-2020, 08:12 PM

5,668 posts, read 2,807,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Yuck! Looks like the invasive common reed Phragmites. You really don't want that to spread!
Isn't phragmites a wetland plant though? There was a lecture on it just the other day during Master Gardener College, and I particularly remember that fact. Does his land have any wetland component?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden