Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 08:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Plant #24

Just to catalog it, there is of course the CA puppy also.

Attachment 221752
The yellow flower is California poppy. The seed pods that look like cocoons are undeveloped Quaking Grass seed pods, also known as Rattlesnake Quaking Grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 12:47 AM

257 posts, read 130,923 times
$45/hr. Now factor in the expenses they have for vehicles, equipment maintenance, fuel, travel time, wages for workers, benefits, and TAXES. What about government licensing? Insurance? Expenses and time lost due to regulatory compliance?

Sounds like a bargain for having someone else do the work.

Old 07-02-2020, 03:00 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,597,880 times
Quote:
I got a quote to mow grass, for fire prevention purpose (as opposed to beautifying the hosue). I haven't asked estimated hours yet; this hourly rate already pauses me. Is that a normal price range for mowing grass these days? This is around Albion CA.

$45/hr = $90K annual salary... It seems just yesterday that hourly workers were fighting for living wage.
Honestly it sounds like a very good deal, especially if we're talking steep incline hills (hence the fire prevention). Just go for it. If they do a nice job, let them keep their money. Making or breaking it here isn't going to be based upon garden guy purchase prices.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:43 PM

1,651 posts, read 1,303,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
Honestly it sounds like a very good deal, especially if we're talking steep incline hills (hence the fire prevention). Just go for it. If they do a nice job, let them keep their money. Making or breaking it here isn't going to be based upon garden guy purchase prices.
My work is only on bluff top; a rather flat area (about 3% grade). I have done it myself before, using a gas powered pole hedge trimmer with adjustable blade angle. The cutting part is kind of enjoyable really. I did not remove the debris; just let it sat there and rot.

I can't be there now due to the pandemic situation. I can only contract someone to do it.

This partial cutting, incidentally, is why I somewhat wonder about the urgency of this work. Starting at the edge of the bluff, by law vegetation cannot be touched. This means the same grass grows on the slope and turns into potential fuel too. Any risk that exists on bluff top exists just beyond that line.

Does it help to reduce the fuel? I think so. But does this make the place fire safe? Well... someone tell me.

In addition we are by the sea; the air is usually quite damp and cold. Take today for example; a typical summer day. Today's high for Fresno CA is predicted to be 94 F. At my area: 60 F.

Not saying I won't comply, just I see contradictory policies (must cut certain part, must not cut certain part).

Last edited by RobertFisher; 07-02-2020 at 12:59 PM..

Old 07-02-2020, 12:52 PM

Plant #26

Checking about a tree in a nearby valley. What tree is it and what is that stuff dangling on the branches? This is not some accidental phenomenon; every tree of this type in that area has this shabby and spooky look.

-45/hr to mow the grass - is that a bit steep?-dsc02764b-large-.jpg

Old 07-02-2020, 02:50 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Plant #26

Checking about a tree in a nearby valley. What tree is it and what is that stuff dangling on the branches? This is not some accidental phenomenon; every tree of this type in that area has this shabby and spooky look.

Attachment 221765
Not seeing leaves for ID but judging by the tree's growth habit / branch forms I'm guessing it's some kind of oak.

The stuff growing and hanging off the trees is just lichen and is an indication of healthy, unpolluted air in that general environment. It isn't a parasite and isn't hurting the trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichen

The lichens in those trees you posted appear to be numerous types, but the ones trailing off branches are likely beard and/or lace lichens.

https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pl...ngissima.shtml

Lace Lichen Species Info | California Lichen Socitey (CALS)

pictures: https://www.google.ca/search?q=hangi...h=648&biw=1338

Old 07-02-2020, 03:00 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Not seeing leaves for ID but judging by the tree's growth habit / branch forms I'm guessing it's some kind of oak.

The stuff growing and hanging off the trees is just lichen and is an indication of healthy, unpolluted air in that general environment. It isn't a parasite and isn't hurting the trees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lichen

The lichens in those trees you posted appear to be numerous types, but the ones trailing off branches are likely beard and/or lace lichens.

https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/pl...ngissima.shtml

Lace Lichen Species Info | California Lichen Socitey (CALS)

pictures: https://www.google.ca/search?q=hangi...h=648&biw=1338

Agree with all of this!

Old 07-02-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Isn't phragmites a wetland plant though? There was a lecture on it just the other day during Master Gardener College, and I particularly remember that fact. Does his land have any wetland component?
This plant grows by a sand beach, at the first dirt soil.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:50 AM

Quote:
My work is only on bluff top; a rather flat area (about 3% grade). I have done it myself before, using a gas powered pole hedge trimmer with adjustable blade angle. The cutting part is kind of enjoyable really. I did not remove the debris; just let it sat there and rot.

I can't be there now due to the pandemic situation. I can only contract someone to do it.

This partial cutting, incidentally, is why I somewhat wonder about the urgency of this work. Starting at the edge of the bluff, by law vegetation cannot be touched. This means the same grass grows on the slope and turns into potential fuel too. Any risk that exists on bluff top exists just beyond that line.

Does it help to reduce the fuel? I think so. But does this make the place fire safe? Well... someone tell me.

In addition we are by the sea; the air is usually quite damp and cold. Take today for example; a typical summer day. Today's high for Fresno CA is predicted to be 94 F. At my area: 60 F.

Not saying I won't comply, just I see contradictory policies (must cut certain part, must not cut certain part).
Get someone local to put boots on the ground, give you recommendations, and evaluate your liability and responsibilities. The lay of the land and the features of the adjacent properties will play into it quite a bit. None of us here can evaluate the whole area in terms of its wildfire risk. Even if you reduce the fuels directly, what's surrounding the parcel that can or might burn will matter. You've gotten some info from knowledgeable folks here already but none of us can see the area.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:52 AM

Quote:
This plant grows by a sand beach, at the first dirt soil.
A lot of Phragmites invades coastal soils near the sand limit. It can tolerate brackish salty conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden