U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:00 AM

1,432 posts, read 793,794 times

Advertisements

I’m assuming this is a one man operation.
An office worker doesn’t need to finance, maintain and house equipment. They work in less hazardous environment and don’t have to be in great physical shape. They will receive workers comp if they are injured. They don’t have to spend time marketing and pricing jobs and dealing with unhappy customers which all cuts in to the billable time. They don’t have to do their accounting, billing, collections for the business. They can work in inclement weather.
Now that I’m thinking about it 50 bucks an hour seem more than reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:07 AM

2,960 posts, read 2,230,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I got a quote to mow grass, for fire prevention purpose (as opposed to beautifying the hosue). I haven't asked estimated hours yet; this hourly rate already pauses me. Is that a normal price range for mowing grass these days? This is around Albion CA.

$45/hr = $90K annual salary... It seems just yesterday that hourly workers were fighting for living wage.
Probably on the low side. We pay our service 45$. It takes them 20minutes to mow, edge and blow the clippings off of deck and patio.

Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM

842 posts, read 246,346 times
Quote:
I got a quote to mow grass, for fire prevention purpose (as opposed to beautifying the hosue). I haven't asked estimated hours yet; this hourly rate already pauses me. Is that a normal price range for mowing grass these days? This is around Albion CA.

$45/hr = $90K annual salary... It seems just yesterday that hourly workers were fighting for living wage.
How big is the area? How often do you need this done?

You can always call around and get other quotes. But that price doesn't sound too unreasonable.

Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM

15,457 posts, read 973,148 times
Quote:
Not sure of you are asking about the math or is it a rhetorical question. But here is my calculation:

An office worker works 40 hours a week. There are 52 weeks a year, so that's 52X40=2080 hours. For simplicity we usually just use 2000 to do the conversion.

This means, a McDonald's hourly worker who gets paid $15/hr, is equivalent to an annual salary of 15X2000=30K.

On the reverse, someone making $100K annually salary, is making a $100,000/2000=$50/hr hourly wage.

This lawn mower's requested rate is equivalent to 45X2000=$90K salary if he/she works a full 2000 hours a year like an office worker.

Who cares what an office worker or McD makes. Mowing is not a 40hr/52wk job. Not everyone has the equipment and skills to bush hog.

1/2 acre in DWF with considerable edging 120 per cut.

Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

12,042 posts, read 15,646,445 times
For me it's $60 for a half acre on a somewhat steep, terraced hill, mowing and weed wacking only. Two, or sometimes three guys, takes them roughly 20 -30 minutes.

Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

7,799 posts, read 4,584,969 times
Quote:

You realize business cost and billing rate aren't the same thing as take home salary right?

Even the kid next door needs to pay for equipment and gas, it's not all soda money.

A landscaping business has insurance and taxes, L&I, unemployment, B&O, heath insurance, other costs of doing business..... PLUS equipment and gas. Billing rate is not salary.

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; Yesterday at 10:45 AM..

Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM

8,851 posts, read 2,460,629 times
Quote:

That is assuming they are working 40 hours a week and not counting drive times and expenses as well as the time go out and give free estimates as well as all the business related expenses. I am in flyover country, minimum wage is barely $7 per hour and I would pay $20 to have my grass cut. Probably took about 15 minutes with a big mower. But that does not mean they are making $80 an hour. If they only have a couple jobs like mine in a day that $40 in a day minus expenses. And where I am at it is seasonal. The winter months the grass does not grow much.

That being said get a couple more quotes.

Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

16,962 posts, read 10,131,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I can only give the costs for what I pay in NE Florida. 3/4 acre mowing, edging, blowing $50. Takes the crew of 2-3 about 20 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Like Mawi, I can only tell you what the charges are around here:

$59. Little over half an acre lot. Lots of edging, which I hate to do. So that's mowing, edging, blowing. Takes 2-3 guys about 30 to 45 minutes. It's a little hard to tell though because they tend to do three lawns in a row and ours is in the middle so they're not in our yard constantly.

Our previous yard was a bit smaller and didn't have the same amount of edging and it cost $50 to do.
Not to pick on you two, but your examples are for a quick job but with multiple guys. I can't tell from the OP how many guys would be on the job.

All I know is that a half or 3/4 acre for $50-$60 is a steal - especially if it includes edging and blowing. Do they really edge every time? That should be a monthly job, if that. Plus, I'd never pay for blowing as that takes care of itself in 24 hours, especially if the mowing has been done at the proper interval and with a mulcher.

Even so, I'm sitting on a 5,000 sq. foot lot in the midwest and I'm sure I couldn't get it done for less than $30. An acre is 43,560 sq. feet, for comparison - even half an acre would be 4-5 times bigger than mine.

Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM

690 posts, read 252,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Not to pick on you two, but your examples are for a quick job but with multiple guys. I can't tell from the OP how many guys would be on the job.

All I know is that a half or 3/4 acre for $50-$60 is a steal - especially if it includes edging and blowing. Do they really edge every time? That should be a monthly job, if that. Plus, I'd never pay for blowing as that takes care of itself in 24 hours, especially if the mowing has been done at the proper interval and with a mulcher.

Even so, I'm sitting on a 5,000 sq. foot lot in the midwest and I'm sure I couldn't get it done for less than $30. An acre is 43,560 sq. feet, for comparison - even half an acre would be 4-5 times bigger than mine.
You are right, # of people is a relevant factor. My understanding is it is a one person operation.

My grass area is about 1/3 of an acre. Then there are some brush and wooded area for a total of 1 acre. I don't know what work is required for fire prevention; maybe they need to do something about the wooded area.

I guess I should just ask for an out-of-pocket quote for meeting the fire prevention requirement.

Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM

73,103 posts, read 56,561,160 times
Quote:
I got a quote to mow grass, for fire prevention purpose (as opposed to beautifying the hosue). Is that a normal price range for mowing grass these days?
$45/hr.
Quote:
My grass area is about 1/3 of an acre. .

What about a neighborhood kid? Pay him $25 each mow once a week. He'll be happy with that! Why not get multiple quotes per mow or season?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden