U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2020, 01:23 PM

10,842 posts, read 4,908,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It definitely is a fire hazard that needs to be cut, there's no doubt about that.

That isn't all just tough old grass growing, there is other rough stuff visible through the grass too. The job looks like it's going to need brush cutters or a bush hog, not a mower. You need to get the contractor to actually come onto the property to look at the types of vegetation and do a quick inspection of the terrain for hidden big rocks, holes and hollows in the ground, scrubby brush, small saplings, old dead branches, woody brambles at ground level, the grade of the terrain, etc. that will need to be dealt with and then he'll give you a quote. I think an experienced brushman is going to quote by the job, not by the hour, for what you need to have done there with the right kinds of brush cutting equipment.

Totally agree! Those pics could have directed this thread right from the start. When I think of "mowing the grass" I picture a weekly mow of a leveled, maintained, residential lawn all summer. Not what this job is. It won't be recurring (compared to the typical residential service), will require different equipment (and fewer will even own it) which will cost the contractor more to operate, so they'll pass those costs along to you.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-28-2020 at 02:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2020, 02:05 PM

10,223 posts, read 21,001,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Grass is about 2' tall. By the way, this is not grass that cows or sheep regularly eat, is it?

Attachment 221574

Attachment 221575
Dude. Really? What’s your problem?

Old 06-28-2020, 02:12 PM

15,032 posts, read 47,202,792 times
Quote:
Grass is about 2' tall. By the way, this is not grass that cows or sheep regularly eat, is it?

Attachment 221574

Attachment 221575
Well, next year, maybe get some livestock in there and on it before it gets tall and tough... Assuming you have or will put up a good enough fence. A fence good enough for cattle is not nearly good enough for goats.

Everything seems to cost more in Cali. It is what it is.

Old 06-28-2020, 02:26 PM

4,460 posts, read 4,456,252 times
Quote:
I got a quote to mow grass, for fire prevention purpose (as opposed to beautifying the hosue). I haven't asked estimated hours yet; this hourly rate already pauses me. Is that a normal price range for mowing grass these days? This is around Albion CA.

$45/hr = $90K annual salary... It seems just yesterday that hourly workers were fighting for living wage.
They are not working eight hours a day, every day.

The $45/hr is not pure profit, it is revenue.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:39 PM

7,897 posts, read 3,846,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
They are not working eight hours a day, every day.

The $45/hr is not pure profit, it is revenue.
It's pure profit , of which at their chosing they can place 'cost' into the subtotal.

Still recall econ class. Very simply put. Two men are asked how much they'd charge to move a mound of gravel. One guy said, why 100$ sir! I got 'overhead' of labor and equipment. The other guy says, sir, how's 50$ sound?. I have muscle, a wheelbarrow and shovel. One man got to eat that week while the other wondered how he was going to pay his loan for his 'equipment'
That's how you work the fairness of who to choose. Who will get the end goal completed at an agreeable price and method.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:53 PM

30,264 posts, read 66,843,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Still recall econ class.
It's not an econ question.It's about accounting (aka reality). Cost accounting in particular.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:24 PM

329 posts, read 174,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
It's pure profit , of which at their chosing they can place 'cost' into the subtotal.

Still recall econ class. Very simply put. Two men are asked how much they'd charge to move a mound of gravel. One guy said, why 100$ sir! I got 'overhead' of labor and equipment. The other guy says, sir, how's 50$ sound?. I have muscle, a wheelbarrow and shovel. One man got to eat that week while the other wondered how he was going to pay his loan for his 'equipment'
That's how you work the fairness of who to choose. Who will get the end goal completed at an agreeable price and method.
Unfortunately, your guy with a shovel spent eight hours moving the gravel while the guy with the "overhead" was able to do 4 jobs within the same period. Oh and the guy with the wheel barrel developed back problems but couldn't afford insurance because he was making only $6 dollars an hour.

That picture tells me you are getting a bargain and unless your neighborhood kids raise sheep, good luck finding someone to do it for less.

Old Yesterday, 04:10 AM

16,959 posts, read 9,398,780 times
Quote:
Not sure of you are asking about the math or is it a rhetorical question. But here is my calculation:

An office worker works 40 hours a week. There are 52 weeks a year, so that's 52X40=2080 hours. For simplicity we usually just use 2000 to do the conversion.

This means, a McDonald's hourly worker who gets paid $15/hr, is equivalent to an annual salary of 15X2000=30K.

On the reverse, someone making $100K annually salary, is making a $100,000/2000=$50/hr hourly wage.

This lawn mower's requested rate is equivalent to 45X2000=$90K salary if he/she works a full 2000 hours a year like an office worker.
Except that it’s not. That office worker doesn’t pay both sides of payroll taxes. That office worker gets employer-subsidized health insurance, dental, vision, paid vacations, paid holidays, paid sick time, probably a 401(k) match. Their employer supplies their work equipment. That office worker doesn’t have to invoice a bunch of that companies customers in their off hours to get paid.

A guy mowing lawns would probably have to bill $150k to be at parity with the $90k office worker.

Old Yesterday, 05:46 AM

11,831 posts, read 13,716,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
It's weird that they would give an hourly rate for lawn service,.
They didn't.............the OP was doing the math based on his assumption of how long it will take.

Old Yesterday, 05:51 AM

11,831 posts, read 13,716,560 times
A friend's daughter bought her first house last month. House was in rough shape despite the 1mm sale price. She needed the grass cut, tons of rain + nobody living there for over a month = tall grass. 1st guy says $165 per cut/trimming ($330 a month minimum). She reaches out to a neighborhood facebook page and they recommend a 2nd guy. He comes out and starts mowing, she gets his attention and asks what the price will be? He tells her $50 a cut. She is thrilled and the grass was cut in the next 45 mins.

She didn't care about the hourly valuation. She just wanted her total cost and wanted the grass cut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden