U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 07:32 AM

26,832 posts, read 32,438,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
It's pure profit , of which at their chosing they can place 'cost' into the subtotal.

Still recall econ class. Very simply put. Two men are asked how much they'd charge to move a mound of gravel. One guy said, why 100$ sir! I got 'overhead' of labor and equipment. The other guy says, sir, how's 50$ sound?. I have muscle, a wheelbarrow and shovel. One man got to eat that week while the other wondered how he was going to pay his loan for his 'equipment'
That's how you work the fairness of who to choose. Who will get the end goal completed at an agreeable price and method.
what? i think you are making that story up. did you even take an econ class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 07:45 AM

1,031 posts, read 267,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what? i think you are making that story up. did you even take an econ class?
Parade Magazine.

Old 06-29-2020, 07:48 AM

11,830 posts, read 3,494,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I got a quote to mow grass, for fire prevention purpose (as opposed to beautifying the hosue). I haven't asked estimated hours yet; this hourly rate already pauses me. Is that a normal price range for mowing grass these days? This is around Albion CA.

$45/hr = $90K annual salary... It seems just yesterday that hourly workers were fighting for living wage.
It depends on what kind of mower they're using. A neighborhood kid with a push mower doesn't have much overhead, and you're paying almost exclusively for labor plus a bit for gas plus a tiny bit of amo on the cost of the mower. $40-$45 would be above market in that case.

If they have serious (expensive) machinery that cuts a large area fast, and they have to travel to the job site and transport the equipment on a truck or trailer, that's different.

Old 06-29-2020, 08:37 AM

12,510 posts, read 8,964,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
I got a quote to mow grass, for fire prevention purpose (as opposed to beautifying the hosue). I haven't asked estimated hours yet; this hourly rate already pauses me. Is that a normal price range for mowing grass these days? This is around Albion CA.

$45/hr = $90K annual salary... It seems just yesterday that hourly workers were fighting for living wage.
Look at it in the context of what your time is worth if you were to do it yourself.

But I do agree that mowing a lawn should pay in the range of minimum wage.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:26 AM

32,665 posts, read 13,576,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It definitely is a fire hazard that needs to be cut, there's no doubt about that.

That isn't all just tough old grass growing, there is other rough stuff visible through the grass too. The job looks like it's going to need brush cutters or a bush hog, not a mower. You need to get the contractor to actually come onto the property to look at the types of vegetation and do a quick inspection of the terrain for hidden big rocks, holes and hollows in the ground, scrubby brush, small saplings, old dead branches, woody brambles at ground level, the grade of the terrain, etc. that will need to be dealt with and then he'll give you a quote. I think an experienced brushman is going to quote by the job, not by the hour, for what you need to have done there with the right kinds of brush cutting equipment.

This!! It's a fire waiting to happen, get it done!

Old 06-29-2020, 09:46 AM

4,678 posts, read 3,503,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Look at it in the context of what your time is worth if you were to do it yourself.

But I do agree that mowing a lawn should pay in the range of minimum wage.
Actually this request is more intensive than a typical suburban or urban lawn mowing. This is cutting back random growth on potentially uneven ground for fire prevention purposes. The pay should be proportional to the negative consequences of doing nothing.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:48 AM

712 posts, read 259,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Actually this request is more intensive than a typical suburban or urban lawn mowing. This is cutting back random growth on potentially uneven ground for fire prevention purposes. The pay should be proportional to the negative consequences of doing nothing.
You have a future in law!

Old 06-29-2020, 10:06 AM

26,832 posts, read 32,438,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
let's say that this brush causes a fire and burns down your house. you should pay the person the value of your house to clear all this brush/long grass/etc.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:18 AM

4,678 posts, read 3,503,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
let's say that this brush causes a fire and burns down your house. you should pay the person the value of your house to clear all this brush/long grass/etc.
I used the word proportional in my post which does not mean the exact cost of the worst case consequence.

Old 06-29-2020, 02:24 PM

20,947 posts, read 23,389,508 times
My gardener charges $140 a month for maintaining and weed control. Cuts grass, clips bushes, cleans leaves blows clippings. This using my green waste trash but his equipment.
He spends about a hour or so. 1/2 acre property. Decent amount of stuff to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden