U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2020, 02:30 PM

20,947 posts, read 23,389,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
It's pure profit , of which at their chosing they can place 'cost' into the subtotal.

Still recall econ class. Very simply put. Two men are asked how much they'd charge to move a mound of gravel. One guy said, why 100$ sir! I got 'overhead' of labor and equipment. The other guy says, sir, how's 50$ sound?. I have muscle, a wheelbarrow and shovel. One man got to eat that week while the other wondered how he was going to pay his loan for his 'equipment'
That's how you work the fairness of who to choose. Who will get the end goal completed at an agreeable price and method.
That’s not a agreeable price. That’s choosing the lowest bidder. And the most inefficient one.

My gardener charges $140 a month for maintaining and weed control. Cuts grass, clips bushes, cleans leaves blows clippings. This using my green waste trash but his equipment.
He spends about a hour or so. 1/2 acre property. Decent amount of stuff to do.

$45 a hour isn’t really that much. Gone are the days of laborers doing work for $10 a hour.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 02:39 PM

5,821 posts, read 2,561,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
It depends on what kind of mower they're using. A neighborhood kid with a push mower doesn't have much overhead, and you're paying almost exclusively for labor plus a bit for gas plus a tiny bit of amo on the cost of the mower. $40-$45 would be above market in that case.

If they have serious (expensive) machinery that cuts a large area fast, and they have to travel to the job site and transport the equipment on a truck or trailer, that's different.
Did you look at the OP’s lawn? It clearly requires the latter. There is no way a push mower would handle a full-on prairie that he seems to have going and thinks needs twice yearly maintenance. The hourly rate seems pretty dang good for what he needs.

Old 06-29-2020, 04:42 PM

26,837 posts, read 32,438,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
That’s not a agreeable price. That’s choosing the lowest bidder. And the most inefficient one.

My gardener charges $140 a month for maintaining and weed control. Cuts grass, clips bushes, cleans leaves blows clippings. This using my green waste trash but his equipment.
He spends about a hour or so. 1/2 acre property. Decent amount of stuff to do.

$45 a hour isn’t really that much. Gone are the days of laborers doing work for $10 a hour.
Here you can hire an illegal Mexican for $160/day plus lunch. Just give him a pair of scissors and let him cut your grass for about $23 an hour.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:36 PM

24,683 posts, read 32,363,193 times
Hey, I see California on the news every year, cheerfully burning. You need defensible space around your house, OP, and that is not a "lawn mowing" job.

Old 06-29-2020, 06:39 PM

18,627 posts, read 8,800,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Not sure of you are asking about the math or is it a rhetorical question. But here is my calculation:

An office worker works 40 hours a week. There are 52 weeks a year, so that's 52X40=2080 hours. For simplicity we usually just use 2000 to do the conversion.

This means, a McDonald's hourly worker who gets paid $15/hr, is equivalent to an annual salary of 15X2000=30K.

On the reverse, someone making $100K annually salary, is making a $100,000/2000=$50/hr hourly wage.

This lawn mower's requested rate is equivalent to 45X2000=$90K salary if he/she works a full 2000 hours a year like an office worker.
Office workers don't have travel time between hours that are paying. Travel in their vehicle hauling their equipment.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:26 PM

1,924 posts, read 717,108 times
How much is it for YOU to NOT do the work?

Old Yesterday, 03:07 AM

22,355 posts, read 23,647,089 times
Quote:
Grass is about 2' tall. By the way, this is not grass that cows or sheep regularly eat, is it?

Attachment 221574

Attachment 221575
If I was a cow or a sheep, I would eat that.

Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM

9,202 posts, read 7,785,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
If I was a cow or a sheep, I would eat that.
I don't think so. It isn't easily digestible hay, it's coarse bedding straw at this stage. It's tinder.

It looks like it could have made good green browse at a much earlier stage before it went to seed. But if you were a cow or sheep you wouldn't touch it now the way it is unless you were starving and really desperate. For fodder of nutritional value, energy and palatability it has to be either browsed on the hoof or else cut and cured while it's still tender and green with some sweet juice in it and milk in the seeds, before it's gone to mature seed and all toughened up into stiff straw like wood fiber.

Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM

9,702 posts, read 7,325,362 times
Quote:
Not sure of you are asking about the math or is it a rhetorical question. But here is my calculation:

An office worker works 40 hours a week. There are 52 weeks a year, so that's 52X40=2080 hours. For simplicity we usually just use 2000 to do the conversion.

This means, a McDonald's hourly worker who gets paid $15/hr, is equivalent to an annual salary of 15X2000=30K.

On the reverse, someone making $100K annually salary, is making a $100,000/2000=$50/hr hourly wage.

This lawn mower's requested rate is equivalent to 45X2000=$90K salary if he/she works a full 2000 hours a year like an office worker.
How would the business owner bill 2000 hours a year? Remember he has to talk to prospective customers, he has to matain his books, he has to drive from account to account, he has to do 100 other things that he doesn't get paid for.

Quote:
Yes that was too overly rough an assessment. Indeed equipment and gas are all valid cost components.
He has to factor in the cost of his equipment, the cost of his truck, the fuel for both...

Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM

712 posts, read 259,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't think so. It isn't easily digestible hay, it's coarse bedding straw at this stage. It's tinder.

It looks like it could have made good green browse at a much earlier stage before it went to seed. But if you were a cow or sheep you wouldn't touch it now the way it is unless you were starving and really desperate. For fodder of nutritional value, energy and palatability it has to be either browsed on the hoof or else cut and cured while it's still tender and green with some sweet juice in it and milk in the seeds, before it's gone to mature seed and all toughened up into stiff straw like wood fiber.

Pictures of the grass from spring till mid summer

-45/hr to mow the grass - is that a bit steep?-green-1-large-.jpg

-45/hr to mow the grass - is that a bit steep?-green-2-large-.jpg

-45/hr to mow the grass - is that a bit steep?-green-3-large-.jpg

-45/hr to mow the grass - is that a bit steep?-green-4-large-.jpg

-45/hr to mow the grass - is that a bit steep?-green-5-large-.jpg

-45/hr to mow the grass - is that a bit steep?-green-6-large-.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden