U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2020, 05:13 AM

39,738 posts, read 49,088,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My lovely irises have come and gone, too quickly.

What do you all recommend that will keep blooming for a long time in a cold-ish climate with a short growing season? I want flowers!

I put some geraniums into pots and so far, they are keeping up their end of the bargain. And I've got some wave petunias. Those have done well for me in the past.

How about some perennials so I don't have to keep planting (and spending?)

My bank has many dozens of rose bushes, maybe hundreds of them, that start blooming really early and have constant flowers until the first freeze. I thought they were knock-out roses, so I bought some knock-outs, but I am not getting a long season out of them.

Happy to hear some suggestions.
I once asked the owner of a nursery what perennials she recommended for lots of flowers, and her answer was “ annuals”. She also got me to be conscious of choosing perennials for the shape and foliage, and to think of the flowers as a bonus. Heuchera is a good example of this, since the foliage comes in many colors, so they look nice even when they aren’t in bloom.

I can think of a few perennials that do well up north, and flower abundantly: veronica, plumbago, and salvia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 05:29 AM

7,434 posts, read 9,315,468 times
How about viola and all the colorful pansies? Lilacs and rose of sharon too

Old 07-01-2020, 05:42 AM

2,934 posts, read 3,590,930 times
"I once asked the owner of a nursery what perennials she recommended for lots of flowers, and her answer was “ annuals”"

Maybe he/she was being honest, maybe not. Perennials are not known to generate year after year repeat customers.

There are plenty of perennials that bloom profusely....there is room in my garden for both annual and perennials. One I will be planting next year is Victoria Blue Salvia. I coordinate and order flowers for the planting of our town square flower beds, and I can say these do very well as a perennial in zone 7b. We also get Lantana to over-winter if the temps do not get too severe, and it will bloom until frost.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-01-2020, 06:22 AM

3,573 posts, read 2,991,766 times
Zinnias put on a nice long show. Way south where I am they’ve been re-seeding also. I love them.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:27 AM

1,349 posts, read 778,606 times
I am in zone 9a and the blooms on my Zinnias have lasted at least 3+ weeks with little signs of decay. They also make long lasting cut flowers, and yes, are easily maintained as perennials due to prolific self-seeding.

Snapdragons, while not as long in bloom, are also prolific self-seeders. I haven't had to buy any mew plants for the last few years.

My chrysanthemums put out a fairly long bloom of at least a few weeks, depending on conditions. They are on their second bloom now, after I cut them down nearly to the base following their bloom last winter.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:43 AM

107 posts, read 10,943 times
Miracle Gro, or just upping the chemicals needed to make flowers thrive.

In regions where plants don't thrive on their own you might as well keep flowers in flower pots.

Old 07-01-2020, 01:11 PM

4,928 posts, read 2,237,900 times
I really enjoy reading threads like this; they expand my knowledge.
Everywhere I've lived, impatiens and geraniums are perennials.

Old 07-01-2020, 06:45 PM

24,715 posts, read 32,382,162 times
When I lived in Oregon, east of the Cascades, I had a couple of different hardy hibiscus that had a very long blooming season. They came with the house when I bought it and I got a couple of cuttings to root. It's a very pretty plant, but I have never seen one for sale. If I run across on in a local nursery, I'll pick it up.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:18 AM

2,815 posts, read 2,177,664 times
Phlox. We had them in Michigan. I think they bloomed all summer. They're very winter hardy.

Old 07-02-2020, 05:13 AM

39,738 posts, read 49,088,748 times
I forgot to mention, that there are repeat blooming daylilies. I get them from https://smokeysgardens.com/
I like how this company sorts their daylilies by colors, heights, evergreen, bloom time, etc., so you get exactly what you want.

I have them on the south side of my house and they are still blooming after 3 months. They require no pampering, other than fertilizer in the spring, and watering if there’s a drought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden