U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2020, 05:27 AM
 
1,349 posts, read 778,606 times
Reputation: 2189

Advertisements

Queen Anne's Lace blooms Spring into Fall, and should do well in Idaho's growth zone. It's low maintenance and also looks to be a good self-seeder.

Bonus is like hibiscus flowers, the flowers (and roots) of QAL is edible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2020, 09:17 AM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
26,550 posts, read 17,156,497 times
Reputation: 40451
My Many Happy Returns daylily looks great for many weeks in the summer, and is a beautiful plant overall. It is a repeat bloomer.

In Northern Idaho, where OP lives, there will be fewer choices, I think.

I have read not to plant early blooming daylilies in my area, because they just get rained on and ruined. I don’t know what the recs are for OP’s area. But my daylilies this year are spectacular. Two plants are in full bloom and two more are getting ready to bloom.

I like heucheras too. And there are other plants that provide colorful foliage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2020, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Coastal Georgia
39,738 posts, read 49,088,748 times
Reputation: 67834
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My Many Happy Returns daylily looks great for many weeks in the summer, and is a beautiful plant overall. It is a repeat bloomer.

In Northern Idaho, where OP lives, there will be fewer choices, I think.

I have read not to plant early blooming daylilies in my area, because they just get rained on and ruined. I don’t know what the recs are for OP’s area. But my daylilies this year are spectacular. Two plants are in full bloom and two more are getting ready to bloom.

I like heucheras too. And there are other plants that provide colorful foliage.
I have a bed of Stella d’Oro....repeat bloomers, but not evergreen, and they have had to be sprayed for mites for the past few years. It does seem to happen early in the season, after a lot of rain. Our spring starts in Feb/March here. A good healthy spray of bug killer and drier weather always takes care of it.

I have not had the same problem with my evergreen daylilies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2020, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
26,550 posts, read 17,156,497 times
Reputation: 40451
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have a bed of Stella d’Oro....repeat bloomers, but not evergreen, and they have had to be sprayed for mites for the past few years. It does seem to happen early in the season, after a lot of rain. Our spring starts in Feb/March here. A good healthy spray of bug killer and drier weather always takes care of it.

I have not had the same problem with my evergreen daylilies.
We have early and long springs in SW Washington too. We are still cool and rainy here now. The natives say summer begins here on July 5. I don’t have mites, but don’t get me started on blackspot on roses!

Back to the OP’s dilemma: try Shasta daisies. They won’t bloom all season, but they will bloom for several weeks, and they are hardy. And plant asters and Chrysanthemums for later blooms.

Keep us posted on what you decide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2020, 03:57 PM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
35,298 posts, read 45,301,568 times
Reputation: 45695
https://idahonativeplants.org/boise-area-native-plants/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
28,037 posts, read 26,719,486 times
Reputation: 35065
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
We have early and long springs in SW Washington too. We are still cool and rainy here now. The natives say summer begins here on July 5. I don’t have mites, but don’t get me started on blackspot on roses!

Back to the OP’s dilemma: try Shasta daisies. They won’t bloom all season, but they will bloom for several weeks, and they are hardy. And plant asters and Chrysanthemums for later blooms.

Keep us posted on what you decide!
I apparently can't remember anything on my own! I used to have Shasta daisies and they do bloom for a while. I would trim a dying flower and stem down to the first pair of leaves and it would usually bloom a second time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
26,550 posts, read 17,156,497 times
Reputation: 40451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I apparently can't remember anything on my own! I used to have Shasta daisies and they do bloom for a while. I would trim a dying flower and stem down to the first pair of leaves and it would usually bloom a second time.
I had shastas and they bloomed like crazy. But the variety I planted were too tall. And late rains knocked them down. I saw some on the OR Coast recently that were shorter, and they looked fine.

I forgot to mention that tetraploid daylilies have stronger stems and the blooms are usually bigger. They are very robust plants. But the heritage daylily Hyperion is a beautiful plant and worth growing though it is a century old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top