U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-29-2020, 07:24 PM
 
Location: North Idaho
24,715 posts, read 32,382,162 times
Reputation: 50231

Advertisements

My lovely irises have come and gone, too quickly.


What do you all recommend that will keep blooming for a long time in a cold-ish climate with a short growing season? I want flowers!


I put some geraniums into pots and so far, they are keeping up their end of the bargain. And I've got some wave petunias. Those have done well for me in the past.


How about some perennials so I don't have to keep planting (and spending?)


My bank has many dozens of rose bushes, maybe hundreds of them, that start blooming really early and have constant flowers until the first freeze. I thought they were knock-out roses, so I bought some knock-outs, but I am not getting a long season out of them.


Happy to hear some suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-29-2020, 07:36 PM
 
36 posts, read 13,078 times
Reputation: 85
For blooms all season long you will want to plant annuals like your geraniums and keep deadheading them all season.
Most perennial flowers will bloom for just a couple weeks like your iris. For continuous blooms with perennials you will have to pay attention to the plants bloom time and stagger those bloom times.
Many gardeners use both so the annuals are still blooming wnen there are blooming gaps with the perennials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2020, 04:28 AM
 
Location: Boydton, VA
2,934 posts, read 3,590,930 times
Reputation: 5647
Salvia farinacea 'Victoria Blue'
Yarrow (Achillea millefolium)
Black-Eyed Susan
Threadleaf Coreopsis
ice plant (Delosperma cooperi)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2020, 04:32 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
35,298 posts, read 45,301,568 times
Reputation: 45695
Lupines.

What are native to Idaho?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2020, 08:04 AM
 
Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
32,431 posts, read 59,111,749 times
Reputation: 35558
We have snapdragons that come back every spring and bloom into early October. Impatiens also bloom all summer, but they are useless for cutting to bring inside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2020, 08:22 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
35,298 posts, read 45,301,568 times
Reputation: 45695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We have snapdragons that come back every spring and bloom into early October. Impatiens also bloom all summer, but they are useless for cutting to bring inside.
Snaps might freeze out in Idaho. Here in very mild Maryland they're a crapshoot every year for surviving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2020, 10:24 AM
 
Location: British Columbia ~🌄 ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️🌄~
9,246 posts, read 7,797,204 times
Reputation: 19173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We have snapdragons that come back every spring and bloom into early October. Impatiens also bloom all summer, but they are useless for cutting to bring inside.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Snaps might freeze out in Idaho. Here in very mild Maryland they're a crapshoot every year for surviving.
I was going to suggest snapdragons as perennials as well. I'm north of Hemlock and my snaps come back early every spring too and turn into good sized 2 ft X 2 ft shrubs that bloom until mid to late November. They need regular pruning and deadheading throughout their growing season though. I don't mulch mine but I'm in zone 9b up here so we very rarely get lower than -7 to -10 degrees centigrade during winter. But for deeper freezing temps like in Idaho which has several growing zones depending on location, they may come back each spring if they are given mulch for winter. They would still need to be pruned way back before deep winter sets in though. Once they get a really good tap root into the ground there's no stopping them.

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2020, 12:05 PM
 
9,746 posts, read 3,678,232 times
Reputation: 22385
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My lovely irises have come and gone, too quickly.


What do you all recommend that will keep blooming for a long time in a cold-ish climate with a short growing season? I want flowers!


I put some geraniums into pots and so far, they are keeping up their end of the bargain. And I've got some wave petunias. Those have done well for me in the past.


How about some perennials so I don't have to keep planting (and spending?)


My bank has many dozens of rose bushes, maybe hundreds of them, that start blooming really early and have constant flowers until the first freeze. I thought they were knock-out roses, so I bought some knock-outs, but I am not getting a long season out of them.


Happy to hear some suggestions.

If you keep the knock-out rose bushes trimmed, you'll keep getting blooms until the first freeze. Plus, feed them with rose food as often as recommended.


Also, hydrangeas keep their flowers for a nice long time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2020, 04:05 PM
 
Location: Southwest Washington State
26,550 posts, read 17,156,497 times
Reputation: 40451
I have a succession of bloom from my daylilies. The trick is to plant mid season and late varieties. I don’t know about planting early blooming ones in your location. Once established they provide many blooms on vigorous plants.

I get a succession of blooms from my roses, but I prune after blooming, and refertilize.

Every year I buy begonias. I have them in shady locations. They bloom all season, non stop. But you do have to buy them every year.

Various salvias have long blooming seasons, I believe

I just remembered that aster frikarti is supposed to have a long blooming season
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-30-2020, 09:16 PM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic
28,037 posts, read 26,719,486 times
Reputation: 35065
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I have a succession of bloom from my daylilies. The trick is to plant mid season and late varieties. I don’t know about planting early blooming ones in your location. Once established they provide many blooms on vigorous plants.

I get a succession of blooms from my roses, but I prune after blooming, and refertilize.

Every year I buy begonias. I have them in shady locations. They bloom all season, non stop. But you do have to buy them every year.

Various salvias have long blooming seasons, I believe

I just remembered that aster frikarti is supposed to have a long blooming season
I was going to suggest daylilies. There are early, mid-season, and late bloomers. Coneflower blooms for a while.

While it's not terribly impressive, anise hyssop thrived in a difficult location in my yard for years. It's a tough plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top