Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 12:35 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

If we were to build or buy a greenhouse it would have to constructed with impact resistant plastic. Hail is a mother around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 12:39 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
LOL. I take it you've never experienced life in back country Washington.

Unless they're made of concrete and standing 20 feet high with razor wire at the top, there are no garden fences that keep out determined animals like bears, elk, moose, deer, raccoons, porcupines and big cats like cougars. If they don't climb or jump over fences they just knock them down or bulldoze through them.

A greenhouse protects plants from too much rain as well (remember, he's in Washington) - like non-stop 40 days and 40 nights or more worth of rain kind of thing. And from the slugs that come with the rain.

PS - see the first two lines in post #3 for the name and website of the company that OWS was asking about.

The slugs still manage to get in, but a food crop-safe product gets them before they get to my plants, and if I see them outside the greenhouse, a little salt does the trick.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:05 PM

440 posts, read 239,963 times
What a generous son. Obviously he thinks you might enjoy it. Is he aware the greenhouse may well need a gravel bed or even a concrete slab foundation? Also will need a source of heat for winter and maybe fan ventilation in summer. And assembly in most cases, not sure about that particular one.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:13 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Maybe you should send him your preferences, being the sensible mom that you are.

I think it's awesome he obviously wants you to have the best! If you downgrade you could suggest another accessory or two to help get you started.

Old 07-08-2020, 06:35 AM

489 posts, read 1,210,463 times
I put up a Harbor Freight 10'x12' a couple years ago and am satisfied with it. I think it was $525 using coupon. 10x12 may seem small but I have 6 wiremaid shelving each about 10' long equaling 60'. (3 on each side) Shelves can be folded up out of the way for the summer allowing use of the space for other items.

My neighbor who is a Master Gardiner has 3 greenhouses, warned me about HF. He said "it won't survive the winter". Last winter one of his collapsed and mine is still standing. I supported mine inside with 2x4's. Had a foot or more of snow on roof at times, no problem. There are a lot of tips on the web on little extra things to do when putting one up. For the floor I used treated deck boards. I was also advised by my friend against this wood floor because of water problems (wet floor, etc.) but floor has been no problem at all. Actually makes the GH multi-purpose).
As far as size, I might add another one (end to end) making it 10'x24' having a door on each end.

I also made my own doors (wooden frame using the panels provided). 6' wide french doors. Also removed a few panels in summer to reduce heat and provide air movement.

Old 07-08-2020, 10:33 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
it's refreshing to see a thread about greenhouse in the heat of summer here

i had to put out some shade clothes to protect my vegetables.

Old 07-08-2020, 03:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
it's refreshing to see a thread about greenhouse in the heat of summer here

i had to put out some shade clothes to protect my vegetables.
The heat of summer here today is 71, up from 53 when I got up this morning. Our forecast:
Attached Thumbnails
Greenhouse Question-temps.png  

Old 07-08-2020, 04:09 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The heat of summer here today is 71, up from 53 when I got up this morning. Our forecast:
Heh. You have the same forecast as me. It isn't hot out but it's what I call room temperature, warm enough to run around in just shorts and a T-shirt or tank-top. I find it just right for my comfort levels when I'm working outside.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden