U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 09:02 AM

1,681 posts, read 1,780,848 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Florida, central coast Brevard county.
I look at the landscaping, lots of palm trees, green shrubs, which is nice, but no flowers. anywhere.

Why is that?
Back in California most home landscaping contained various color and month-of-year flowers or flowering shrubs. Especially roses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2020, 04:46 PM

4,452 posts, read 13,135,499 times
I have flowers (NE Florida). Maybe it's the work involved to find the right flowering plant for the right location, so folks don't bother? For example, certain flowering plants which have tags that say "full sun 6+ hours a day" sometimes cannot tolerate an afternoon's brutal sun, and people get discouraged when the plant shrivels up and keels over. I think it also has to do with the attitudes of residents in different places. One neighborhood we lived in south of Jacksonville was loaded with color. The one we live in now, not so much.

Old 07-03-2020, 05:24 PM

2,945 posts, read 3,600,174 times
If I lived ij your planting zone, my landscaping would be covered with tropical hibiscus, with ixora for hedges.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:08 AM

39,770 posts, read 49,137,369 times
Pay attention to the commercial areas near you that have well maintained flower beds. That can guide you to some plants that do well in your area.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:18 AM

14,512 posts, read 20,176,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Pay attention to the commercial areas near you that have well maintained flower beds. That can guide you to some plants that do well in your area.

This here ^^^^ I was going to say drs offices and most offices have some color outside . definately check those out .I know hibiscus does very well in florida i know i lived there and will live there again when i retire .

Old 07-07-2020, 07:27 AM

39,770 posts, read 49,137,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
This here ^^^^ I was going to say drs offices and most offices have some color outside . definately check those out .I know hibiscus does very well in florida i know i lived there and will live there again when i retire .
Yes, like my Publix parking lot has gorgeous flowers in bloom all the time. One of the McDonalds drive thrus here has mature shrubs and trees that nobody pampers, but they look beautiful.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:40 AM

9,771 posts, read 3,687,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
I just moved to Florida, central coast Brevard county.
I look at the landscaping, lots of palm trees, green shrubs, which is nice, but no flowers. anywhere.

Why is that?
Back in California most home landscaping contained various color and month-of-year flowers or flowering shrubs. Especially roses.

I lived in Brevard County as a child. Titusville to be exact. :-) We had flowers. Poinsettas, Lantana, Periwinkles, and hibiscus is what I remember.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:02 AM

728 posts, read 391,892 times
Take a wider look around. What you are seeing is more a matter of taste than is what could be available to you.

We have ixora (orange out front and a pink-red out back), gardenia (white), bougainvillea (blue/purple), star jasmine (white), allamanda (yellow), hibiscus (it is huge and full of red flowers currently), bird of paradise, orchids of all description. Even the non-blooming shrubs have color to include the variegated schefflera. People before us wanted a lot of color around the house. There is always something blooming at any time of year (winters can get into the 40s).

It is actually almost too much and I would like to tone it down, but everyone always complements us on the landscaping so...

Old 07-07-2020, 11:07 AM

2,002 posts, read 816,223 times
I agree with the others, hibiscus is widely grown in Florida and all over the islands. Colorful croton is another plant that does well. Many varieties of roses should do well, with afternoon shade in hot areas. Bougainvillea is another option. Home Depot will have lots of flowers that should grow well in your zone.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:39 PM

11,501 posts, read 11,271,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
I have flowers (NE Florida). For example, certain flowering plants which have tags that say "full sun 6+ hours a day" sometimes cannot tolerate an afternoon's brutal sun, and people get discouraged when the plant shrivels up and keels over.
So glad that you mentioned this. I live in Texas, which is brutally hot and humid. I've discovered that "full sun" here (unless it's a native) means "morning sun and afternoon shade". Many full sun plants native to other regions can't take the relentless heat and even the natives can droop some. Many full sun plants in my garden seem happier when the sun is in the morning and the shade is in the afternoon.

there's a section of my yard that's the tropic of cancer, full sun over 8 hours of the day. Only the strongest sunlovers survive and even then it's with good supplemental water
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or