U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:55 PM

174 posts, read 100,437 times

Advertisements

I cleaned and sealed my deck this weekend. To prevent the cleaner and sealer from getting to my lawn, I covered the lawn with plastic sheet. The job took longer the entire day and it was blazing hot. When I finally removed the sheet, the entire lawn is ghostly yellow. Am I just screwed now? Do I have to remove the existing lawn and do over????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM

1,751 posts, read 572,678 times
“Fair warning:
If your ever going to do something so thoughtless as trying to “solarize” and suffocate me- I am going to trip you any chance I get and send attack ants and yellow jackets onto you..You have been warned!”

P.S.
I might forgive you if you give me a nice slow cool deep water drink now and a bit of fertilizer in Sept/October.

Some new Babies-seeds would be nice to have around the same time too.

I will green up in a few days or when it cools off at the latest ...”

Signed,
” Your former green lawn”

Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
“Fair warning:
If your ever going to do something so thoughtless as trying to “solarize” and suffocate me- I am going to trip you any chance I get and send attack ants and yellow jackets onto you..You have been warned!”

Signed,
” Your former green lawn”

P.S.
I might forgive you if you give me a nice slow cool deep water drink now and a bit of fertilizer in Sept/October. I will green up in a few days or next year at the latest ...
Some new Babies-seeds would be nice to have around the same time too.
I checked the bottom of the grass and some are still green. I may still have a chance? I quickly watered the lawn already. I shouldn't fertilize right away?

Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM

1,751 posts, read 572,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamyst View Post
I checked the bottom of the grass and some are still green. I may still have a chance? I quickly watered the lawn already. I shouldn't fertilize right away?
Depending where you are geographically: if it is not yet too hot and you have cool nights- you may very lightly fertilize you lawn -0.5- 1 lbs of nitrogen per 1000sq ft of your lawn. More is not better.
The best time to add seeds and to fertilize is fall -Sept/Oct- in cool season grasses country.

Your grass leaves are damaged by heat and sun. Let them recover ( green-up) first.
Is not a good idea to flood your lawn with water and fertilizer- as some roots might been cooked by the sun.
Be patient- it should recover...Don’t add misery by overwatering now- give a slow deep drink if it is dry where you are once a week or so.
If you have about 1 inch of rain per week - you don’t even need to water

Old Yesterday, 01:57 PM

361 posts, read 137,191 times
Find some moles. Introduce them to your damaged lawn. Then, when anybody asks about the lawn, blame it on the moles.

Old Yesterday, 02:31 PM

15,493 posts, read 1,001,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamyst View Post
You do not fertilize a patient. NO! Deep water again in the morning. Give it time!!!!

Old Yesterday, 02:36 PM

How / when do I know if I need to pull everything away and reseed? It's almost 90s the next 4 days in Chicago so I will make sure to water every morning. The lawn gets constant sun with no shade.

Thank for all the advice so far. I am such an idiot. I covered the lawn only because 2 years ago when I redid the deck, the cleaner and sealant caused major damage to patches of the lawn. This time I was trying to do the necessary prep work to avoid another lawn disaster and of course I messed up AGAIN. Sigh.

Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

7,443 posts, read 9,324,050 times
It will probably come back. Do NOT fertilize. Cut it as usual to remove some yellow dead leaves but no shorter because new stuff needs a bit of shade. Don’t drown it but water as usual or less since it isn’t transpiring. Just wait.

Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM

39,752 posts, read 49,107,858 times
Water, if needed, and let Mother Nature do her work. The plastic hasn’t killed the roots.

What kind of grass is it?

Old Yesterday, 05:23 PM

2,974 posts, read 2,241,053 times
If your lawn is Bermuda grass you couldn't kill it with nuclear weapons. It'll grow back, don't panic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or