U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2020, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 39 times

Advertisements

Hi! Can you help me?

I just purchased Southern Living Plant Collection 2.5 Qt. October Magic Pink Perplexion Camellia Shrub with Soft Pink Double Blooms from Home Depot to line the side of my property from a neighbor. Problem is, the plants arrived today and displayed a full sun to part shade tag. I need to plant SOMETHING along the property line under three medium-large trees - almost always dappled in shade/sun only. Will camellias work? Will the camellias I got work? Want to determine before they go in the ground. Appreciate the quick help! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 05:00 PM

13,351 posts, read 6,360,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npurmal View Post
Hi! Can you help me?

I just purchased Southern Living Plant Collection 2.5 Qt. October Magic Pink Perplexion Camellia Shrub with Soft Pink Double Blooms from Home Depot to line the side of my property from a neighbor. Problem is, the plants arrived today and displayed a full sun to part shade tag. I need to plant SOMETHING along the property line under three medium-large trees - almost always dappled in shade/sun only. Will camellias work? Will the camellias I got work? Want to determine before they go in the ground. Appreciate the quick help! :-)
That's the perfect environment for them in So Cal. Unless you live on the coast, it's way too hot to have camellias in full sun even for 2-3 hours. They will burn depending how inland you live.

Old 07-21-2020, 07:40 PM

9,337 posts, read 7,865,823 times
I agree with Marino. That particular variety you got can tolerate full sun for a few hours in the morning but the blossoms are prone to getting sun burn easily if the environment is very dry and hot. Ideally they will flourish and do best in dappled light all day so you are good to go for planting that variety by those trees that cast dappled light and shade.

Old Today, 08:06 AM

709 posts, read 365,287 times
I'm learning from experience that the "full sun" recommendation in SoCal should really be adjusted to dappled sun or part shade. So I agree with the advice above!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden