Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2020, 10:24 PM

9 posts, read 2,064 times

Advertisements

hello. I am new to gardening. So it would be better for me if you guys provide me some basic guidelines for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 05:34 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,129,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeversion View Post
hello. I am new to gardening. So it would be better for me if you guys provide me some basic guidelines for it.
It would be helpful to let us know what project you specifically need help with. If I were to answer your question without details all I could offer is basic gardening tools.

Old 07-27-2020, 06:14 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,992,621 times
Quote:
Vegetables? Flowers and bushes? Butterfly gardening? Overall landscaping? The folks in this Garden Forum can give all kinds of helpful suggestions about how to get started, and their enthusiasm is contagious!

It would also be helpful to know what part of the country you live in ... gardening can be quite different zone to zone. This is one zone map https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

Old 07-27-2020, 02:17 PM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Quote:
Seeds. Soil. Sun. Water. Pray.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:30 AM

4,192 posts, read 2,514,758 times
The first step is a soil test. Your local extension agent/office is the best place. Some do it for free certain times of the year. The only charge then is postage which last time I did it ran $8. A professional soil test will measure not only the PH, but the calcium, magnesium and organic matter. You can add all the fertilizer you want but if the PH and calcium are not right, the fertilizer is useless.

Driving around to see what others are doing is helpful. In my experience, if you see a nice garden and the gardener is there working, stop, tell them how much you admire their garden and ask for any insights. Most gardeners I know love to talk about their gardens.

Old 07-28-2020, 04:04 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,032,233 times
Maybe since you're brand new to it, start off with container gardening, or flower pots, and start off with annuals. Annuals are usually pretty easy, and you can get everything you need at a big box store, like Lowes, or Home Depot.

Before you buy anything, determine where you want to put the flower pots, and pay attention to how much sun that particular area gets. If it gets morning sun and afternoon shade, you're kind of golden. You can plant just about anything you want.

If it's a very sunny location, look for flowers that say "full sun" If it gets extremely hot AND full sun, consider succulents or drought resistant flowers. Or maybe herbs like lavender, or rosemary, or mint. (mint and herbs are usually perennials, meaning they will come back year after year, so consider that.)

But yeah...it'd be helpful to know what kind of gardening your planning on. We love gardening, and we love to give advice. ;-P

Old 07-28-2020, 04:19 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:
Hello. Welcome to the gardening forum. Gardening involves many, many things that you might need to learn about. It would be better for all of us if you first provide us with some basic information about the location and environment you live in and what kind of gardening you think you want to do.

Do you want to grow plants for food or for decoration on your property or as houseplants in plant pots for inside your house? Once you have decided what kind of gardening you first want to start with it will be easier for other people to provide you with some basic guidelines to get you started.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden