Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 10:55 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,853,930 times

Advertisements

Probably the ultimate contradiction in terms! I recently moved to Phoenix, which is kind of warm a few months out of the year . I have a ground floor patio which faces due north, which is completely enclosed except for the front side facing north, and the patio is completely in shade 24/7 (which is good for the electric bill but probably not so good for plants!). I've been puzzling on the question of container plants which could tolerate triple digit heat for months, but would thrive without sun!

I've been to a couple garden centers, one a big-box type place and the other an independent. Two things I noticed immediately is that their entire inventory was out in the full sun, the other that at both places they started trying to sell me on things there that were out in the full sun! I tried to explain to both that I didn't want to buy plants that they have out in the full sun and take them home into a no-sun situation where the plants would probably have a nervous breakdown! I also didn't expect - nor appreciate - the hard-sell that I felt at both places.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Heck, I've even thought of three or four fake ficus trees - all I'd have to do to them is dust them off once in a while!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 01:45 PM

14,641 posts, read 14,734,000 times
There are several kinds of plants that thrive in the shade and can tolerate very high temperatures. You will need to ensure the plants are getting plenty of daily water and the roots are insulated enough inside their containers so they aren't allowed to get too hot and bake inside their containers. Keep in mind that the bigger the container and the more soil in it, the better insulated the roots will be from the heat and the more moisture will be retained in the soil, keeping the soil cooler through evaporative action.

Take a look at some of the plants listed at links below.

I'd suggest you try experimenting by trial and error with various small plants in good sized pots that are light colours, not black or other dark colours (dark gets too hot) and don't get any plants that are very expensive to start with, anticipating that some plants will not be successful. Some of the shade plants you experiment with will thrive and some will not survive the heat in spite of your best efforts. Once you know which ones are successful on your patio and you have eliminated the failures, you can get yourself some fuller sized specimens of the successful species and put them in bigger patio containers. Keep on experimenting the same way with other new species introduced gradually and eventually you will have a full complement of many kinds of container plants that are heat tolerant and do best in permanent shade.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en-...sclient=psy-ab

Old 07-26-2020, 02:07 PM

So no actual advice - just a recommendation to search Google? Thanks. Been there done that.

Old 07-26-2020, 02:25 PM

22,844 posts, read 18,137,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post
So no actual advice - just a recommendation to search Google? Thanks. Been there done that.
You will need to ensure the plants are getting plenty of daily water and the roots are insulated enough inside their containers so they aren't allowed to get too hot and bake inside their containers. Keep in mind that the bigger the container and the more soil in it, the better insulated the roots will be from the heat and the more moisture will be retained in the soil, keeping the soil cooler through evaporative action.

I'd suggest you try experimenting by trial and error with various small plants in good sized pots that are light colours, not black or other dark colours (dark gets too hot) and don't get any plants that are very expensive to start with, anticipating that some plants will not be successful. Some of the shade plants you experiment with will thrive and some will not survive the heat in spite of your best efforts. Once you know which ones are successful on your patio and you have eliminated the failures, you can get yourself some fuller sized specimens of the successful species and put them in bigger patio containers. Keep on experimenting the same way with other new species introduced gradually and eventually you will have a full complement of many kinds of container plants that are heat tolerant and do best in permanent shade.

So the quoted text doesn't meet your definition of advice?

Old 07-26-2020, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamson520 View Post

I'm not going to make recommendations when you have not specified what appeals to you. I am not a mind reader. You are the only one that is going to know what strikes your fancy when you actually make a personal effort to LOOK at the assortment that are suggested in all of those websites.

It's your responsibility to select the ones you think you would like and then ask questions about those plants, it's not my responsibility to pick and choose for you.

No actual advice? You asked for thoughts and suggestions. I have given you plenty of advice that you in your ignorance never even thought to ask about. So if you are so lacking in grace and politeness to not recognize or appreciate what you have been offered and get yourself into an ignorant, ungracious snit because nobody else can read your mind or be willing to do all YOUR homework for you then I invite you to take a hike and get lost.

You are a lazy ingrate.

Old 07-26-2020, 02:48 PM

9,342 posts, read 13,922,544 times
Very few plants grow in deep shade but you might try fuchsia. Or zebra plant. Maybe croton.

Old 07-26-2020, 03:33 PM

To the person that made a direct message without leaving their name - "Your plant advice is great but black pots in the shade don’t get hotter. Minor correction." I'd have responded directly but don't know who you are.

Actually yes they do get hotter. Depending on the material they are composed of and whether or not it is porous and if it's thick or thin - .i.e. ceramic, clay, stone or concrete containers or even thick heavy plastic, etc. - the black and darker coloured containers with more heavy, solid, non-porous density do absorb ambient temperatures and will get quite hot and retain the heat much longer than the soil does well into the night after ambient temperatures have cooled down. It's important that the breathing soil and roots get a chance overnight to get cooler through evaporative action. If they are in a heated container that cools more slowly the plants have less time overnight for the roots to get a rest and take a cool break from the constant warmth. Hot soil and roots can cause stunting and root rot, fungal infections, insect infestations in the soil and other problems for the plants.

You can put it to the test for yourself with a black rock and a white rock that have been sitting in the shade on a hot day. They will both get warm but the black rock will get warmer and will retain the heat for much longer than the white rock after the temperature drops at night. The same principle applies to freezing temperatures as well.

Last edited by Zoisite; 07-26-2020 at 03:44 PM..

Old 07-26-2020, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
You will need to ensure the plants are getting plenty of daily water and the roots are insulated enough inside their containers so they aren't allowed to get too hot and bake inside their containers. Keep in mind that the bigger the container and the more soil in it, the better insulated the roots will be from the heat and the more moisture will be retained in the soil, keeping the soil cooler through evaporative action.

So the quoted text doesn't meet your definition of advice?

No. I wanted specific plants. Not colors of pots and random google links, and a suggestion to just randomly buy a bunch of things and see if they live or die. Doesn't matter anyway - I put her on Ignore.

Old 07-26-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Very few plants grow in deep shade but you might try fuchsia. Or zebra plant. Maybe croton.
Thank you for those specifics! That's exactly what I was looking for when I posed the question. My work is done here!

Old 07-27-2020, 05:20 AM

4,692 posts, read 2,562,465 times
rubber tree plant..easy to care for..water, fertilize and wipe the leaves off once in a while..indirect sunlight..will get 6 to 8 feet tall..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden