Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 08:34 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Looks nice.

I'm surprised no fence? Or maybe there's a gate there I can't see. I know its code in many areas to have a fence around any pool. Last thing you want is a kid falling in then suing you.
i just put in the pool this summer, signed off on the fence 3 months ago but the fence company is still waiting on the materials to do the job. so there will be a fence as soon as they can do it. in the meantime, i like it a lot more without the fence.

i took this picture from a little further out. im trying to take a lot of pictures because im not happy that i dont have good pictures to compare to when they first put the trees in.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 05:09 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i just put in the pool this summer, signed off on the fence 3 months ago but the fence company is still waiting on the materials to do the job. so there will be a fence as soon as they can do it. in the meantime, i like it a lot more without the fence.

i took this picture from a little further out. im trying to take a lot of pictures because im not happy that i dont have good pictures to compare to when they first put the trees in.
Ahh cool. Yeah, fence kinda ruins the whole feeling of it but I guess safety is important since a wild kid can wander over and fall in.

You should take some clippings and root them. Free trees. I regret not doing it more.

It's that time of year for some Hollytone

Old 09-11-2020, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Ahh cool. Yeah, fence kinda ruins the whole feeling of it but I guess safety is important since a wild kid can wander over and fall in.

You should take some clippings and root them. Free trees. I regret not doing it more.

It's that time of year for some Hollytone
the way the properties are its highly unlikely a kid will wander into my yard and drown in my pool. id definitely take the risk if i was allowed to. maybe just put a complete block with the trees and just a gate to walk through.

ill look at the clippings idea. we have a lot of deer and friends of mine have complained of deer damage for small green giants. the deer dont seem to like to eat them but will rub on them. i havent had any deer issues with mine, maybe because they were always large enough. i do try to keep deer off of my property but im not anywhere near 100% effective,

i bought these fertilizer spikes which i regret. ill be looking to fertilize soon. i want some growth. my azaleas really had a great spring with some beautiful flowers blooming. those i use holly tone on.

Old 09-11-2020, 09:26 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Where I came from on LI you had to have the fence in before they would allow water to be put in the pool. Of course, our homes were a lot closer together than you appear to be, but I have friends who lived in another area of the same town with large property (1.5 areas to 20 and the same held true for them.

Old 09-14-2020, 08:40 AM

a friend was over yesterday and he noted that there has been a lot of growth on my green giants since he was last over a couple of months ago. he suggested that i cut off about 6 inches of green growth at the top because it will help the rest of the tree fill out more. anyone have any thoughts on that? at this point, that back row will likely be plenty high for my happiness in a year (and probably will fill out also if it continues like it did this year) and so i figure i should probably just leave it.

Old 09-18-2020, 09:53 AM

Quote:
he suggested that i cut off about 6 inches of green growth at the top because it will help the rest of the tree fill out more. anyone have any thoughts on that?
May 2018 I cut off 2-4 feet of growth. Not only because it past the height I need them but to "fill them in"
//www.city-data.com/forum/51850911-post23.html

May 2019 I definitely noticed a difference. Was fully.
//www.city-data.com/forum/55229024-post26.html

May 2020 For sure.
//www.city-data.com/forum/57845267-post30.html

It only makes sense. Cut off the top so that energy has to go somewhere else so that's how it fills in better.

I do this to my Pine tree too. Cut off the top and the thing goes wide

Old 09-18-2020, 10:30 AM

what season did you cut the tops? as we are approaching fall, i dont believe i am supposed to expect much new growth until spring. so should i do it early spring?

Old 09-18-2020, 12:19 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
Captain,
Leave them alone. You have plenty of room for them. They are beautiful, don't mess with them.

Old 09-18-2020, 02:04 PM

Quote:
what season did you cut the tops? as we are approaching fall, i dont believe i am supposed to expect much new growth until spring. so should i do it early spring?
When I posted it. May. I would say November is good time to do it too since they'll be dormant. I like doing it in spring so the fresh new growth pushes things right away and has time to recover through Spring & Summer.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:02 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,551,890 times
If you’re not 110% positive you’ve reached the desired height you want, and then sleep on it, and double check for 125% sure the next day - then do not clip the top!!

Toss some basic 10-10-10 around them to feed them. It’s safe, won’t burn them up, and they’ll be happy. I listened to some twerp at a nursery last year who talked me into some crazy fertilizer that ultimate roasted a couple of blue spruces of ours, after two years of successful 10-10-10 and great growth.

I put in 14 more in the spring of 2019 at 5 feet. They’re now getting established and staring to take off, approaching 8 feet now on most.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden