Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2020, 12:42 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
This scam has been going on for a couple of weeks now. How long does it take to test a packet of seeds to see if they're dangerous?
I think that depends on how many kinds and what kinds of risks they would be testing for from different species of seeds, and how many total packets of seeds are turned in. Some things being tested for could produce immediate results while other things being tested for at the same time from the same package might take several weeks to get confirmed results on them. And then to confuse the issue even more, it's obvious that there is a large variety of seeds from several different species of plants that are being mailed, it's not just one species of seeds. So lots of tests to do and I think it could take a while before confirmation news about all the various results is released to the public.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2020, 12:42 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
This scam has been going on for a couple of weeks now. How long does it take to test a packet of seeds to see if they're dangerous?
I'll post here if I hear anything. I'm sure others will too. Not sure how they will test it. Might need weeks or months to see how the plant grows in a protected environment ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
While I don't believe in the more bizarre conspiracy theories like toxins, poisons, or alien growths I do believe in taking responsibility for our actions. There are thousands of nonnative plant invasions created by human stupidity and arrogance. So much for leaving "Mother Earth to take care of whatever that is". If I got a package of unidentified seeds the last thing I'd do is plant them anywhere but an indoor pot just to see what happens. So what if the mystery plant isn't poisonous? So what if its a stupid prank? A brushing scam? Take a good long look at the habitat loss, agricultural loss, and increasing environmental damage from chemicals used to control the spread of noxious invasive weeds and think about it. Then burn or turn in your packet. Don't be another irresponsible idiot that I have to pay tax dollars to counteract.
Yup.. why risk it! Don't be dumb!

https://twitter.com/IADeptAg/status/1288493416821792769
https://iowaagriculture.gov/news/gui...olicited-seeds

“The Iowa Department of Agriculture is working closely with the USDA to trace, collect and properly destroy these unknown seeds to protect our agriculture community from plant and seed-borne diseases,” said Secretary Naig..

Unlabeled seeds and seeds from unknown origins should never be planted. They pose the risk of introducing an invasive plant species or seed-borne diseases that do not currently exist in the United States. APHIS is working closely with the Department of Homeland Security’s Customs and Border Protection and State departments of agriculture to prevent the unlawful entry of prohibited seeds and protect U.S. agriculture from invasive pests and noxious weeds.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:02 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
My guess is the seeds will not be tested. But of course, I have no way of knowing.

It is odd that most of the packages list contents as “stud earrings.”

Old 07-31-2020, 01:03 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
According to today's release from Wall Street Journal: https://www.wsj.com/articles/mystery...ld-11596119184

" .... The case of the mystery seeds showing up in U.S. mailboxes from shippers in China and other countries has gone global.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture said consumers in at least 22 U.S. states and several other countries had received unsolicited packages of seeds. Canada, the U.K. and Australia all are investigating the matter..... "

I wonder what kind of scam would justify the scammers going to the expense and manpower required to pay for the materials, packaging up and the postal expenses of delivering unsolicited packages to so many countries?

Old 07-31-2020, 01:07 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times
Possible soil contamination from some of the planted seeds

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/trending/...LQ/#/questions

Old 07-31-2020, 01:20 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Ayah Didt!

palntut dem all and ated da gren froot tha grewed...YUM_EEE

nevur got ted the sick or anthing...so fahrt, so gud

Old 07-31-2020, 01:31 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
According to today's release from Wall Street Journal: https://www.wsj.com/articles/mystery...ld-11596119184

" .... The case of the mystery seeds showing up in U.S. mailboxes from shippers in China and other countries has gone global.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture said consumers in at least 22 U.S. states and several other countries had received unsolicited packages of seeds. Canada, the U.K. and Australia all are investigating the matter..... "

I wonder what kind of scam would justify the scammers going to the expense and manpower required to pay for the materials, packaging up and the postal expenses of delivering unsolicited packages to so many countries?

Well, I know that the seeds I ordered were less than 3 dollars a packet...so it's not expensive. And with the brush scammers, they just pay someone to receive a package, and then rate and write a review, which many people will fall for.

But I was a legit buyer...and gave a horrible review. lol

Old 07-31-2020, 01:46 PM

566 posts, read 592,259 times
As I scrolled through all of the reply's and carefully looked at the photo's I noticed the little brown seeds look similar to kudzu seeds. If you are unfamiliar with how kudzu grows, or have never heard of it, please look it up. KUDZU
It grows rapidly and will cover over trees as if someone threw a massive green blanket over the landscape. The pinnacle of invasive plants. It will continue growing for miles and suffocates the life out of everything it covers.
The only thing it doesn't do is cross the road... but it would easily do just that if it weren't for cars driving over it.

Old 07-31-2020, 02:05 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
It really takes a special kind of stupid to plant seeds from an unknown source let alone a non-certified source. Particularly if the envelope is clearly from overseas and you didn't order it.

I can rattle off a dozen invasive species that have been 'accidentally' imported into the US. I fight with cheaatgrass on my property. Thanks to Eurasian imports I have this lovely weed crowding out my native prairie grasses.

Old 07-31-2020, 03:36 PM

291 posts, read 109,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Ayah Didt!

palntut dem all and ated da gren froot tha grewed...YUM_EEE

nevur got ted the sick or anthing...so fahrt, so gud
i dont get anything youre saying
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden