U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 12:41 PM

14,232 posts, read 17,000,126 times

Advertisements

Birds used to do a number on my sweetcorn back in WV. The only thing that stops them is netting. Or you use metal tape and tape each ear- tedious but effective.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 03:42 PM

3,758 posts, read 3,730,339 times
Lightbulb RatX claims "no risk of secondary kill"

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Don't poison the squirrels. If you do, hawks, foxes and coyotes who eat squirrels will die too.
You will kill animals up the food chain.
RatX, a non-toxic rodent bait which claims "no risk of secondary kill", won't mess with scavengers and predators.

Old 08-02-2020, 07:42 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,176,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntCoffey View Post
Thanks for the tips! I've been using an original-style wood rat trap with a peanut butter/bait mix but the squirrel somehow sets it off without getting caught.

Same here!
The cheese too...i dont know how they do it. I must not be putting it in there right........

I feel like they're playing w/me. lol

Old 08-02-2020, 09:05 PM

21,142 posts, read 9,876,430 times
Quote:
They're cute but so destructive, and with 15 tomato plants growing in my garden I'd really like to have a few for myself. Between the high temperatures (95-100*) and critter attacks all I seem to be able to harvest ripe from my chain-link-enclosed garden is a few minuscule Sun Gold tomatoes.

What's your sure-fire solution to keeping them at bay?
Chainlink is your problem. That's easy for squirrels to climb, and many can slip right through the holes.

You have to rig cages around those tomatoes that protects them from the top as well as the sides. You need something with 1/2" mesh. And you also need skirting for the cages to prevent them from going under the cage sides.

Old 08-02-2020, 10:16 PM

130 posts, read 41,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Chainlink is your problem. That's easy for squirrels to climb, and many can slip right through the holes.

You have to rig cages around those tomatoes that protects them from the top as well as the sides. You need something with 1/2" mesh. And you also need skirting for the cages to prevent them from going under the cage sides.
The chain link is for the deer. They are one of many other issues we deal with here. Your cage solution sounds foolproof but not worth the effort and expense to protect 15 tomato plants. I’ve already eliminated one squirrel family and now this one has come to take their place. I’m willing to share but so far the squirrels have taken everything but the peppers and the little yellow raisin-sized tomatoes, none of the others get close to full size or ripe before they are snatched. I’ve got a special peanut butter snack for tomorrow’s visit...

Old 08-03-2020, 04:20 PM

21,142 posts, read 9,876,430 times
Quote:
The chain link is for the deer. They are one of many other issues we deal with here. Your cage solution sounds foolproof but not worth the effort and expense to protect 15 tomato plants. I’ve already eliminated one squirrel family and now this one has come to take their place. I’m willing to share but so far the squirrels have taken everything but the peppers and the little yellow raisin-sized tomatoes, none of the others get close to full size or ripe before they are snatched. I’ve got a special peanut butter snack for tomorrow’s visit...
Your choice.

But killing them won't prevent squirrel garden depredation. As you note, more will just move in to the recently-vacated territory. And there's an unlimited supply of squirrels...

Old 08-04-2020, 07:22 AM

53,050 posts, read 1,435,739 times
Rabbits ate all of my green bean plants, planted seeds 3 times. I have never had this happen in all my years of gardening.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:05 PM

5,620 posts, read 9,478,601 times
Don't complaint... do something

HB's relocation service

Old 08-11-2020, 07:58 AM

25 posts, read 6,806 times
Default Galvanized metal fencing

The squirrels I have would dive/chew right thru the top netting of that set-up in the photo. I used window screens This summer to create an enclosure for my tomatoes and they just chewed Big holes thru the screen and striped the tomatoes off. PLUS chewed All the stems in half.

Next year I hope to try using galvanized 1/4 inch fencing that was recommended. Has anyone tried that? All they need is one small entrance and the tomatoes are history.

My best luck was planting 4x more plants and picking them green and putting in a paper sack for a week. Not as good as red off the vine but all I could do.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:32 AM

73,960 posts, read 57,391,637 times
Something I did seems to be working. Very interesting. Annoying to do but since I did it I haven't seen 1 tomato on the ground and I did see squirrels wondering what happened.

TIN FOIL!

I did this to all the grown tomatoes after I saw those 2 chewed ones.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden