Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:33 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times

Advertisements

I plan on planting mine this weekend..hope I have as much success as some of you...
Thanks for all the tips
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 05:48 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
I am planning on having this as a project for my 5 year old grandaughter and I today. I bought a planter and plan on us planing the seeds in the planter. I decided a planter would be a good idea so I can hopefully keep them in a particular area--we'll see. If they spread from the wind so be it. The Japanese beetles have not arrived here yet so I'm hoping the Mirabilis jalapa come up before the Japanese beetles attack my roses. I may be a little late but I wanted to save this project so my grandaughter could help. I think planting seeds and watching them grow is such a good experience for children. And she loves flowers. I just won't let her pick them as I've heard they are poisonous---not sure if they would be harmful to handle for her but won't take any chances.

Old 05-29-2008, 08:47 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
tcs, how much sun do they need? I'm out here in sugar grove and have a wooded lot, some sun, some shade.

Old 05-29-2008, 11:30 AM

All planted and done. My grandaughter said they are just going to be beautiful grandma!! Hearing her say that made it a great experience. Now to see it rain and those seeds start growing! She is going to love the whole process. I just love children!!

Old 05-29-2008, 11:58 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
I had a tree come down this weekend. It was about 60 feet tall. It crushed a lot of the seedlings but missed the hammock. I counted about 50 that weren't crushed. Just before our recent rain, I put out some hummingbird/butterfly wildflower seeds as well. Either way, I will have flowers out there.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:10 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,776,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
tcs, how much sun do they need? I'm out here in sugar grove and have a wooded lot, some sun, some shade.
SG -- sorry to be late to reply -- but i've been dealing with a dead PC, which is now fixed.

i've tried them in the shade and the seeds did not even germinate.

I have had others that get morning sun ... til say 11am - 1pm depending on where I had them located, and they tended to be a bit smaller than the ones that get full sun, which will get quite large.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:13 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,776,274 times
cyn -- i would think as long as your GD does not eat the seeds, you needn't worry about them being poisonous.

and as for the seeds blowing in the wind ... that will have to be quite a tornado to get those seeds moving about. They pretty much just fall to the ground.

my neighbor and I plan on moving some tiny seedlings tomorrow -- to a project we are working on ... we are both to the point where we dont want them up next to the house anymore.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:14 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
I had a tree come down this weekend. It was about 60 feet tall. It crushed a lot of the seedlings but missed the hammock. I counted about 50 that weren't crushed. Just before our recent rain, I put out some hummingbird/butterfly wildflower seeds as well. Either way, I will have flowers out there.
So sorry to hear this - but it's a good thing you sowed so many seeds! I only did one packet, and not all of those came up. still, I'll have a dozen or so.

Please post a picture when all your seedlings are in glorious bloom, will you?

Old 06-01-2008, 02:25 PM

My grandaughter won't eat them--she does know better then that and I, being the protective grandmother, won't ever let that happen! She has moved to an apartment now but will be back to check on her flowers, no doubt! I am sure they will come up just fine. With all that love how can they not??

Old 06-02-2008, 05:57 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
So sorry to hear this - but it's a good thing you sowed so many seeds! I only did one packet, and not all of those came up. still, I'll have a dozen or so.

Please post a picture when all your seedlings are in glorious bloom, will you?
It's been really hot here the past few days. I water for 15 minutes each morning on a timer before the sun comes up. I've found more seedlings that hadn't germinated. Once they start blooming, I'll be sure to get some shots.

Since I was cutting up a tree anyway, I decided to take out a few more. Leaving only dogwoods and Eastern Redbuds, and oaks, maples, and elms over 8" in diameter, I've almost doubled the size of my backyard. This fall, I intend to collect the seeds to plant all along the edge of the yard in front of my puny azaleas. 3 years from now, it should be gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden