Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 06:03 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,151,834 times

Advertisements

I've got an area out back that gets moderate sunlight, mostly mid morning/noon. It's very rocky with clay soil. I've ordered 1/2 pound of 4 o'clock seeds to spread back there. Should I do anything to the soil aside from raking it before I scatter them? I plan to put down wheat straw and mix in some other wildflower seeds as well. Anyone ever planted 4 o'clocks this way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 06:52 AM

1,216 posts, read 5,772,986 times
HOLY Toledo ... and halfa pound!!

I'd have sent you seeds for postage....

anyhooo --- some folks 'nick and soak' 4-O'Clock seeds ... but i have honestly never had a problem getting them to germinate [but this year, trying them in the house, they are fighting me]

once the ground warms up, you should have no troubles getting them to germinate.

the way you are doing it, sounds OK to me. I'd make sure they are covered lightly .... but i've had ones on the surface germinate.

what color did you get? or is it a mix?

I'm up to 5 varieties this year ... but so far i've only had yellow and magenta. Lime light, white and Broken Colors are my new ones for this year.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:49 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,686,730 times
I'm looking for them locally here in NC, but so far no luck...Where did you order your seeds?

Old 04-30-2008, 08:17 AM

you can get them at WalMart, HD or any place that sells seeds.

Heck -- send me stamps and i'll send you seeds.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:21 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,297,179 times
I haven't been able to fine them in NC either---maybe they don't grow well here??? Ever since I read your post tcs1366 regarding the 4 O'clocks and the Japenese beetles I've been looking for them. I'll be happy to send you stamps for seeds!! What a nice offer!! I guess the only way to find out if they will grow here is to give it a try!!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:44 AM

These will grow just about anywhere... i've read that in warmer climates, the roots/rhizomes will survive and regrow from them the following years ... but with all the seeds it produces [1 from every flower] you will have tons of seedlings each year.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I'm looking for them locally here in NC, but so far no luck...Where did you order your seeds?
Four O'clock Varieties Description - Four O'clock Seeds from Main Street Seed And Supply,Co. (http://www.mainstreetseedandsupply.com/flfouroclockseed1.htm - broken link)

I got the 1/2. It's really not that many seeds, but I have an area about 100' x 50' that I want chock full of them. Also planning to put them behind my roses to keep the aphids at bay. I've read they don't like the smell.

Marvel of Peru

Old 04-30-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I haven't been able to fine them in NC either---maybe they don't grow well here??? Ever since I read your post tcs1366 regarding the 4 O'clocks and the Japenese beetles I've been looking for them. I'll be happy to send you stamps for seeds!! What a nice offer!! I guess the only way to find out if they will grow here is to give it a try!!
Lowes carries them. They should still have them near the front door on the seed rack. Home Depot might. I had them at another house years ago. They are invasive so be careful about where you plant them.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:05 AM

Don't put them behind your rose bushes -- that will attract the Japaneses beetles to your roses .... mine are about 20' away and since having planting Mirabilis jalapa, I no longer have JB troubles.

for some reason, the plant attracts the beetles and they eat the plant, which in turn kills them.

For aphids... use herbs. I've planted lavender behind my roses, no more aphids. this year i am adding parsley [as it attracts SwallowTail butterflies] garlic chive [which also keeps aphids away] and feverfew [i can't recall what this helps] but that is my plan anyways.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:05 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,297,179 times
I see you are in Albemarle too. I did look at the seeds at Lowes in Albemarle but I guess I missed them. Oh well, I am looking forward to getting these planted asap. I was thinking of putting them around the house in the back yard like a hedge. Maybe a few in planters. Not positive yet but I will plant them so they can also help save my roses from those Japanese Beetles!! I will not be planting them very close to my roses as my rose bushes are in the front yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden