Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 11:43 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

I have tried just about everything on the stores shelves and the weeds just grow right back!

I bought some expensive concentrate by Ortho called '360', its claim was it stopped weed growth for 360 days, I mixed and sprayed as directed, (the weeds turned brown within 2 days) so I thought I had found a good weed killer, but within 2-3 weeks, slowly they began to turn green again, new weeds grew up in the same spot.

On a whim, I saw one of those propane weed torches on sale, I bought it and went thru 2 cans of propane treating all the weeds around my yard...within 3 days there was green coming back on the weeds, so it didnt really do anything. lol

Last summer I tried a homemade mixture that I saw on Facebook, using Dawn detergent and Epsom salt, all this did was shrivel the weeds up a little bit, but they quickly recovered.

A few years ago, I used a commercial product called 'Prosecutor', I think it was a Lesco product, it worked fairly well, but it was slow working, and the weeds would always grow right back.

My grandpa used to use diesel fuel as a weedkiller, but I cannot remember if it worked or not, I also remember having a neighbor at one time that used some kind of mixture with bleach as the main ingredient.

Im sure this question has been asked dozens of times on here, but can anyone suggest something that works? I dont care if its a home made mixture or something I buy.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 11:55 AM

19,758 posts, read 22,666,896 times
I use either 2-4-D based selective or Round-Up non-selective.

Bayer and Round-Up have 2-4 d based selective herbicides (won't kill grass when applied correctly). Generally I get mine at a farm and ranch store. For stubborn weeds it's Round-up, but SPARINGLY. Some weeds, like kochia, are started to creep farther towards us- which sucks.

I try to use the 2-4 d in the natural prairie grass portion of our yard so as not to kill those good plants. I also use it in our 'yard' around the house. A lot of time in my yard? I use a long handled weed fork and dig them out.

Last edited by Threerun; 08-06-2020 at 12:15 PM..

Old 08-06-2020, 12:08 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Use a hoe.

Old 08-06-2020, 12:46 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,664,471 times
You have to use a particular weed killer for different kinds of weeds. No weed killer works on everything. The two major classifications of weeds are broad leaf such as dandelions, and grassy weeds such as crabgrass. Some weeds such as crabgrass are best eliminated using a pre-emergent that is applied before the weed germinates. Chickweed is another one best controlled this way. Post-emergent weed killers are ones you spray on after the weed is actively growing. For both of these types of weed killers, timing is important. Creeping charlie is one of the most difficult weeds to control. Most experts recommend a weed killer with dicamba. I have found it takes several applications each season to control it.

Old 08-06-2020, 01:20 PM

4,602 posts, read 6,364,058 times
If your choice is a glyphosate based product, pay close attention to the percentage listed on the container. The ready to use containers contain minimal glyphosate, and are mostly inert ingredients. I use concentrated glyphosate, up to 50% by volume....you can mix it to any strength you wish.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-06-2020, 01:38 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,779,656 times
I've been known to use straight glyphosate concentrate undiluted on stubborn weeds. It's worked on those specific weeds. I only use it like that when all else has failed.

One other thing . . . make sure to spray weeds when the sun is out. Morning is best as the plants are in a receptive state then.

Old 08-06-2020, 01:57 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,599,679 times
Which weeds?
It's all different...

Old 08-06-2020, 02:11 PM

44,630 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
If your choice is a glyphosate based product, pay close attention to the percentage listed on the container. The ready to use containers contain minimal glyphosate, and are mostly inert ingredients. I use concentrated glyphosate, up to 50% by volume....you can mix it to any strength you wish.

Regards
Gemstone1
^^^ This works best.

Old 08-06-2020, 03:52 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
I've been known to use straight glyphosate concentrate undiluted on stubborn weeds. It's worked on those specific weeds. I only use it like that when all else has failed.

One other thing . . . make sure to spray weeds when the sun is out. Morning is best as the plants are in a receptive state then.
Pay attention to the temperature. Glyphosate herbicide applications are temperature sensitive. Application when too hot can reduce its effect. You are adding pesticides to the environment. Only do it when you can minimize the volume.

Old 08-06-2020, 03:58 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Use a hoe.
My thought's too. A diamond scuffle hoe comes to mind for killing the roots of tough weeds that resist poisons. A hoe is better for the soil as well.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden