U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2020, 06:32 PM

69 posts, read 6,193 times

Advertisements

I have some gooseberry with vine-like growth. It grows around the porch columns and railings, which it is next to. But it will also “reach” directly for a chair or barbecue grill which is ten feet away, and then grow around its legs. How can a plant know where things are?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2020, 07:06 PM

9,439 posts, read 7,921,349 times
Everything, either animate or inanimate, has an electromagnetic energy field. Plants can sense the electromagnetic energy fields of things near them just the same way humans and animals can sense them.

Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM

11,335 posts, read 5,180,085 times
I have one vining caudiciform plant in an indoor pot (Stephania perrieri). It sends up a new vine every year. It is interesting to watch. Because of where the pot sits in the window there isn't anything very close by. At first, as the emerging vine starts growing it's direction seems to "wander" quite a bit until it finds something to wrap itself around. As if its sniffing, then changing direction if nothing it likes gets detected. It doesn't really aim itself toward anything in particular right from the beginning. I'm always amazed how quickly it grows; you can almost see it move.

Last edited by Parnassia; Yesterday at 02:55 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM

2,520 posts, read 648,802 times
The hoarder's property behind mine is filled with the invasive vine, bittersweet. Those bittersweet vines encroach into my yard and will grow towards the one small tree I have or the garage to try to overtake it. Once it finds something to latch onto, then it will leave a bristly burr, so it can cling on and continue the overtaking with more ease. It's like a tentacled monster I have to continually battle.

Old Yesterday, 05:54 PM

How do they "find' the things to cling to?? It always reminds me of that movie, "Little Shop of Horrors"..................

Old Yesterday, 06:03 PM

2,982 posts, read 1,725,110 times
They can move around a little bit, with skototropism toward shadow, and sometimes move around with a breeze, until they touch something, then they cling to it.

Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
They can move around a little bit, with skototropism toward shadow, and sometimes move around with a breeze, until they touch something, then they cling to it.
I guess that might be all it is. But it sure seems weird when there is a ten foot gap between the plant and the porch chair, and the tendril is growing in a direct line towards the chair......

Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM

21,120 posts, read 9,798,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheeplewillhavetheirsay View Post
I guess that might be all it is. But it sure seems weird when there is a ten foot gap between the plant and the porch chair, and the tendril is growing in a direct line towards the chair......
Plant cells understand light very well. It is growing toward the "shade" of the chair. Once it has lashed onto a support, it will grow more vertically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTljaIVseTc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlqqZZ7q4-s

Old Yesterday, 10:08 PM

60,083 posts, read 4,514,754 times
They grow so fast too. I have been watching a tendril grow (Jasmine) it seems to grow about six inches a day. From the wall over to my window.

Old Today, 04:18 AM

13,737 posts, read 23,257,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Plant cells understand light very well. It is growing toward the "shade" of the chair. Once it has lashed onto a support, it will grow more vertically.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTljaIVseTc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlqqZZ7q4-s
Thanks for the video. The passion flower was kind of creepy.

I used to have the vine, now I wonder what happened to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or