Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 07:47 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I recently moved into a new place with my partner. This place has the nicest yard I've ever had in Philadelphia, and I really want to spruce it up ASAP. What are some perennials you suggest planting this time of year (mid-August) that will be peaking / near peak now? Philadelphia is in zone 7b. Most of my yard is either full or part sun.

I know some of the ones I am thinking bloom around now, but I don't know if now is a strategic time to try to plant them. Some thoughts I have:

Nippon Daisy
Lily Stargazer
Joe Pye Weed + Goldrenrod (I don't love either alone, but I think they could look nice together).

and...
I *really* want to plant Chrysanthemum, but I doubt they will be in bloom now. I think they will bloom sometime in September here.

I will be having some guests over for outdoor, physically distanced "housewarmings" by this weekend, and I really want the place spruced up by then! I am only working part time at the moment, so I have time to make this happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 10:02 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Hi all,

....... I will be having some guests over for outdoor, physically distanced "housewarmings" by this weekend, and I really want the place spruced up by then! I am only working part time at the moment, so I have time to make this happen.
Okay, so I really think you are pushing the envelope if you want to have your garden all spruced up with blooming summer perennials for this weekend's housewarming party. You've left it rather late in the season to find many available so your only option you have right now is to take "whatever" left overs in bloom might be on offer at the nurseries, which frankly won't be a lot at this specific time of year. Do not expect to find whatever summer plants you're looking for and be prepared to take whatever you can get. The nurseries are winding down summer sales now, getting rid of left over poor selling summer stock and preparing the nurseries to bring in all their new autumn stocks and I think you've likely missed your window of opportunity for picking up summer plants in bloom.

But go see what the nurseries have got, you might find some left over summer blooming plants that were poor sellers and will be marked way down in price so the nurseries can get rid of them ASAP to make room for incoming autumn stock. Don't delay either, go do that today because remaining left overs this week will be getting thrown into the garbage dumpsters probably by Thursday this week.

You should be in lots of luck though to find pots and pots of newly arriving chrysanthemums in all the nurseries because right now is when the nurseries and big box stores are bringing them in. Most of the mums' blooms won't be fully opened yet but some will be.

You will need to plan well in advance of each of the four seasons for getting your gardens all set up for next year. Now is time to be planning and buying for this autumn and in the next couple of months for selecting the bulbs to put into the ground in October for next spring. Early next spring start planning and planting for next summer and autumn.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-11-2020 at 10:11 AM..

Old 08-11-2020, 01:43 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Okay, so I really think you are pushing the envelope if you want to have your garden all spruced up with blooming summer perennials for this weekend's housewarming party. You've left it rather late in the season to find many available so your only option you have right now is to take "whatever" left overs in bloom might be on offer at the nurseries, which frankly won't be a lot at this specific time of year. Do not expect to find whatever summer plants you're looking for and be prepared to take whatever you can get. The nurseries are winding down summer sales now, getting rid of left over poor selling summer stock and preparing the nurseries to bring in all their new autumn stocks and I think you've likely missed your window of opportunity for picking up summer plants in bloom.

But go see what the nurseries have got, you might find some left over summer blooming plants that were poor sellers and will be marked way down in price so the nurseries can get rid of them ASAP to make room for incoming autumn stock. Don't delay either, go do that today because remaining left overs this week will be getting thrown into the garbage dumpsters probably by Thursday this week.

You should be in lots of luck though to find pots and pots of newly arriving chrysanthemums in all the nurseries because right now is when the nurseries and big box stores are bringing them in. Most of the mums' blooms won't be fully opened yet but some will be.

You will need to plan well in advance of each of the four seasons for getting your gardens all set up for next year. Now is time to be planning and buying for this autumn and in the next couple of months for selecting the bulbs to put into the ground in October for next spring. Early next spring start planning and planting for next summer and autumn.

Thank you for all of this great advice. All of that makes sense. I can't make it today, but will surely go to the greenhouses tomorrow to find what I can. Honestly, considering this is a rental and we may not see our perennials for many seasons over, it's probably fine for us just to get some sales plants and call it good.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:22 PM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
Not exactly what you'd think of as a perennial, they reseed themselves, but my 4 o'clock's are going crazy....and they are in bloom in the evening.

Virginia, zone 7b

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 08-11-2020, 03:08 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
You know...since you're renting...could always plant in pretty flower pots... Hostas come to mind. But also, if you decided to do pots...might find some annuals that would be pretty.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:42 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
I’m in 7B in northern NJ.

Right now my echinaceas are in full flower and will continue til frost. Purple is the most common color but there are so many varieties these days, and commonly found at garden centers. My fragrant hostas, heleniums, and sedums are blooming now too. My type 3 clematis are in flower now til frost (but you’d be hard pressed to find them in flower at the nursery now). I also have scabiosas that have been in bloom constantly since late May. They’re common at local nurseries here.

There are some late and “very late” varieties of day lily that would bloom around this time of the year too.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:43 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
My favorite late summer perennial is an oldie but goodie - Aster 'Monch'.

https://www.gardenia.net/plant/aster...frikarts-aster

Old 08-11-2020, 09:46 PM

287 posts, read 211,618 times
Not sure if they’ll play in your zone, but my helianthus are just popping now. Yellow, profuse flowers

Old 08-18-2020, 06:17 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Anemones are Pretty and in bloom at the end of summer, but beware that they spread and are very hard to contain.

Old 08-20-2020, 12:23 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,753,298 times
Tall Phlox is peaking at this time of year. You can choose earlier- and later-blooming varieties to stretch out the blooming season. Jerusalem artichokes are just starting to bloom here in 6a so they would probably be in full bloom in 7a. Black- and Brown-Eyed Susans are in full bloom as are coneflowers. Four O'Clocks are in full bloom too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden