U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 12:19 AM

599 posts, read 568,846 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been experiencing problems with plant production in their gardens in the last few years? I have been a Master gardener for over 38 years with lots of expeience in Nurseries, Greenhouses and field crops. Something has caused crop failures and poor production for the last 3 to 4 years in our area. Its not disease, fertility based or water related. Its either the seed or something has changed with the soil components. Ag services in our state refuse to test for anything other than the normal N.P.K and ph, which raises questions as to why they refuse. We have noticed stunted growth in many wild species of berries and fruits. Anyone else having simular problems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 04:53 AM

167 posts, read 200,216 times
Haven't noticed that in VA. This year has been phenomenal for everything from blackberries to hydrangeas. Here the standard soil test includes calcium, magnesium, organic matter and so forth.

If your state's agricultural services refuse to provide information, it most likely is available under your state's Freedom of Information Act (FOIA). In my state, for example, it is done by Virginia Tech. They will have a FOIA compliance officer.

Old Today, 11:25 AM

9,456 posts, read 7,932,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistoftime View Post

...... Something has caused crop failures and poor production for the last 3 to 4 years in our area. .....
What's your location?

Old Today, 01:08 PM

11,392 posts, read 5,204,782 times
I've pretty much given up trying to grow a veggie garden here. Even the lawn starts looking unusually ragged by late summer. The difference is, I have a pretty good idea what the problem is. The only solution is a heavy duty, 10' solid board fence which plays havoc with the view!
Attached Thumbnails
Recent Gardening Problems-bros2-2-.jpg  

Last edited by Parnassia; Today at 01:22 PM..

Old Today, 02:21 PM

166 posts, read 36,565 times
Everything grows well where we are in Michigan. We have rich black soil here, and much of it loamy soils. What climate zone are you in and what state?

We planted everything suggested by a landscqpe architect and all is thriving. It was $700 well spent to know where to plant what on our 1/2 acre lot. Bumper crop of mushrooms every October as well. Are you planting items known to grow well in your area?

Here in Michigan, it rains on regular basis too, so no need to water often. We have so many different kinds of flowers throughout the neighborhoods here. In Texas, where I grew up and in CA where lived 25 years, had to drag the hose around a lot since never enough regular rain. In Texas, I grew every kind of rose available, tomatoes galore, watermelons and cantaloupes; in California, I grew mint, basil, cilantro, lemon and pear trees, and lots of geraniums and brugmansias. I miss having my Brugmansia trees the most - not suitable for zone 5B. The deer and the wild turkeys come through a lot, so not trying to grow hostas or vegetables. I keep my herb garden close to the kitchen growing in interior patio area.

You may want to have someone out to do some consulting if struggling. One thought is that our climate zones are constantly changing, so what had grown well before may not now. So much RoundUp in the soil or so much chlorine in the tap water could also be an issue. Do you use municipal water to water plants, or well water? I'm thinking about to re-activating a capped well we have on our land just for plant watering purposes.

Last edited by PacificaViews; Today at 02:32 PM..

Old Today, 08:12 PM

8,104 posts, read 19,879,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaViews View Post

We planted everything suggested by a landscqpe architect and all is thriving. It was $700 well spent to know where to plant what on our 1/2 acre lot. Bumper crop of mushrooms every October as well. Are you planting items known to grow well in your area?
I would LOVE to find something like this in Northern VA. I have been gardening for a long time but I am stuck, or lazy or tired of experimenting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or