U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 03:33 PM

11,783 posts, read 5,403,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
You just taught me something new, thank you. I never heard of these before, and at "up to 40" long", would not want to run across one myself. There's a reason Madison WI named it's football team the "Badgers", those things can be nasty - I went near a badger enclosure in a wildlife park in IL a few years ago, and the resident gave me Hell, I've never been so glad for chain link fence in my life. My guess is that Fisher Cats are a relative.
Yep. Fisher cats (more commonly referred to simply as fishers) are Mustelids (weasels, otters, wolverines, martens). So are badgers.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
What did birds eat before humans started putting out feeders?
Plenty. All you are really doing is adding your feeder to their daily foraging route.

Old 08-17-2020, 03:46 PM

8,708 posts, read 4,034,247 times
Fill in your hole with anything you want.

There is no way to keep seeds from sprouting under a birdfeeder - so mow frequently. Don't put a birdfeeder over a surface where you can't keep it trimmed short.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:14 PM

9,787 posts, read 8,085,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzui View Post
What kind of dirt can I buy from Home Depot or Lowe's that is not toxic for birds to eat and will not cause anything to grow there? I have to cover a hole under the bird feeder but want to do it only safely.
I have a wonderful idea. At least, if I was a bird I would think it is wonderful!!!

I think you should fill the hole with sand and then put a really wide, shallow bird bath full of water right on the ground directly under the feeder. It will be multi-purpose because it will catch falling seeds and all the birds and everything on the ground can get a drink of water, including insects and other animals besides birds, and all can take a bath too or wash their food in the water and more things will eat the water-softened seeds that fell from above into the bath. You might even get a frog or toad staying nearby. It will be exciting for you to see all that animal activity.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:21 PM

402 posts, read 107,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I have a wonderful idea. At least, if I was a bird I would think it is wonderful!!!

I think you should fill the hole with sand and then put a really wide, shallow bird bath full of water right on the ground directly under the feeder. It will be multi-purpose because it will catch falling seeds and all the birds and everything on the ground can get a drink of water, including insects and other animals besides birds, and all can take a bath too or wash their food in the water and more things will eat the water-softened seeds that fell from above into the bath. You might even get a frog or toad staying nearby. It will be exciting for you to see all that animal activity.

Birds can get sick and die if they eat sand. I wouldn't put a bird bath because then it's going to be running water which will increase the water bill a lot and it won't even be cold since it gets hot in the summer. I already have a water cooler that hangs on the bird feeder they can drink from but it only works during the spring and fall. The water gets hot very fast in the summer. I know because I tried so every 30 minutes I had to add cold water on the top but can't do that and don't have time for that. In the winter it turns into ice.

Old 08-17-2020, 04:32 PM

402 posts, read 107,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

This is what I found on a sand they sell at home depot and this is play sand for kids.

May cause cancer through chronic inhalation

May cause respiratory irritation

Causes damage to lungs through prolonged or repeated inhalation

Causes eye irritation if particles or dust get in eye

Old 08-17-2020, 05:49 PM

2,070 posts, read 634,531 times
Quote:
This is what I found on a sand they sell at home depot and this is play sand for kids.

May cause cancer through chronic inhalation

May cause respiratory irritation

Causes damage to lungs through prolonged or repeated inhalation

Causes eye irritation if particles or dust get in eye
I'm pretty sure the same thing is true of common beach sand, it's the "dust" that fouls your lungs. If Mother Nature was required to label everything in Her domain that's harmful to humans, we'd never leave the house.

Old 08-17-2020, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Birds can get sick and die if they eat sand. I wouldn't put a bird bath because then it's going to be running water which will increase the water bill a lot and it won't even be cold since it gets hot in the summer. I already have a water cooler that hangs on the bird feeder they can drink from but it only works during the spring and fall. The water gets hot very fast in the summer. I know because I tried so every 30 minutes I had to add cold water on the top but can't do that and don't have time for that. In the winter it turns into ice.
Don't know where you got that one. Many species of birds routinely eat small amounts of sand or grit that helps their gizzard grind up harder seed foods. A healthy wild bird isn't going to overindulge on sand!

I wouldn't put a bird bath directly under a feeder. Sure, some seed could end up dropped in the water, but guess what else will end up there? Digested seed from the birds at the feeder...ie poop. It will just sit there and breed bacteria/parasites depending on how warm the weather gets. It would be a big hassle to keep that water clean. Not that wild birds demand sterile water, but still, it would be a chore.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-17-2020 at 06:04 PM..

Old 08-17-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the same thing is true of common beach sand, it's the "dust" that fouls your lungs. If Mother Nature was required to label everything in Her domain that's harmful to humans, we'd never leave the house.
Yes. Inhaling dust from sand might be a problem if you did so for hours every day for months or years. Hence the warning language prolonged repeated exposure. Not applicable to a free roaming wild bird visiting an outdoor feeder periodically. OP IMHO you are going off the deep end over all this.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:42 PM

9,787 posts, read 8,085,970 times
Quote:

Birds can get sick and die if they eat sand.
I don't know where you heard that but it's absolute nonsense. It does not make them sick and die to eat sand, it would make them sick and die if they do not eat sand. All birds need sand and grit in order to survive. All birds. Sand is a daily and vitally essential part of all birds diets and believe me, birds know what they're doing when they choose to eat sand and grit and they're selective about what they swallow. The sand and grit becomes grinding stones, it takes the place of the teeth that birds don't have to chew food with, plus they extract vital minerals out of the sand and grit.

The sand and grit and small stones and gravel that they select to swallow goes into their gizzard which is a very tough, leathery muscled organ and the sand and grit grinds up all the food they eat into tiny little bits (just like you chewing with your teeth grinds up the food you eat). Then when it's ground up everything exits the gizzard and enters the stomach, liver, kidneys etc. to be digested. If it wasn't first ground up in the gizzard like that the birds wouldn't be able to digest their food and get nutrients from the food. When ground up sand gets too pulverized and small like fine powder and useless to do any more good at grinding up food then it exits the gizzard and gets passed through the birds digestive system and they poop it out. That is why all bird poop has a thick, pasty, gritty texture to it, it's because of all the finely ground up sand that has turned into powder in the gizzard.

Even tiny little hummingbirds eat bits of fine sand to grind up the tiny insects that they eat.

Some birds, like seagulls, turkeys, ostriches, geese, will eat stones the size of marbles to go into their gizzards to work as grinding stones. Seagulls and other marine birds will also swallow large bits of sea shells to grind up the food they eat.

BTW - I was joking about putting a bird bath under the feeder. I guess my attempt at humour was a failure. Birds might like it but it would be a lot of work to keep it clean every day.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-17-2020 at 06:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or