Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2020, 06:54 PM

482 posts, read 901,468 times

Advertisements

I would like to plant raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries in containers. I have lots of sun and mild climate. Would love some advice from successful berry growers. How long before I can expect some berries?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 02:35 PM

489 posts, read 1,210,463 times
How about strawberries? They do very well in containers and here in Wisconsin will produce all summer until frost. They will produce fruit generally 5-6 weeks after planting bare root stock.
I would think in the California climate they would do well.

Old 08-29-2020, 05:43 AM

489 posts, read 1,210,463 times
I didn't get to finish my post above so will continue. The strawberries I am referring to are called Day Neutral. They are a form of Everbearing but the Day Neutral produce all summer long (not just in Spring and Fall) and really take off in August. I'm getting 2 quarts every other day from 60 plants. I have my plants in 4'x4 containers (5 containers containing 12 plants each) about 3' off the ground, so weeding and picking is enjoyable and the critters (except birds) don't bother them.

The kind of Day Neutral I am growing are called Sea Scape. My neighbor, after seeing my berries took some of my runners and is going to grow them this winter, hydroponically, in his greenhouse.
And you treat these Day Neutral's like an annual and plant new ones each Spring.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:22 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,186,164 times
Raspberries probably won't do well in containers. The plant bears fruit on it's second year then dies, or can do more but short lived. What keeps you in berries are the new shoots that could me up then produce on their second year. Pruning out old shoots as they die.

Old 08-29-2020, 01:38 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
Raspberries are pest, you want them in containers, I have not been successful with strawberries, something always eat them, but have lots of blueberries and blackberries, they ate huge and. Dry tasty.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:49 PM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
You can grow blueberries in a large container. They're very well behaved.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:58 PM

482 posts, read 901,468 times
Thanks for everyone's input. I have grown strawberries before but want to branch out to other berries. Any special soil utilized for containers? Do you fertilize? I planted some thornless blackberries and it looks like they are growing very quickly. Wasn't sure if they grow bushy or grow up a trellis so I decided on a trellis hanging on my fence.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:50 PM

1,154 posts, read 366,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
I didn't get to finish my post above so will continue. The strawberries I am referring to are called Day Neutral. They are a form of Everbearing but the Day Neutral produce all summer long (not just in Spring and Fall) and really take off in August. I'm getting 2 quarts every other day from 60 plants. I have my plants in 4'x4 containers (5 containers containing 12 plants each) about 3' off the ground, so weeding and picking is enjoyable and the critters (except birds) don't bother them.

The kind of Day Neutral I am growing are called Sea Scape. My neighbor, after seeing my berries took some of my runners and is going to grow them this winter, hydroponically, in his greenhouse.
And you treat these Day Neutral's like an annual and plant new ones each Spring.
Oh wow, I am envious! The squirrels decimate my strawberries every year. I’ve pretty much given up on harvesting any to eat myself.

Op, I’ve had some success growing thornless raspberries in a raised bed, but I do have to keep an eye out for runners and pull them before they can establish.

Old 09-06-2020, 03:04 AM

7,235 posts, read 5,114,062 times
While I certainly understand the drive to grow things, I feel sorry for people with such limited space and soil that they need to turn to container gardening for food plants--They can hardly expect to have enough containers to get more than a few servings at most....Is it worth it?

Blueberries, being a bush, would need a fairly large container, but at least each plant can produce many fruits. Raspberries & blackberries don't root deeply, but each can only produces a handful of berries.

All of those are highly dependent on pollinators. If you're located in a condo in Manhattan, your balcony garden may prove disappointing. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...ollination.htm

https://entomology.ces.ncsu.edu/smal...y-pollinators/

https://the-natural-web.org/2017/05/...ees-and-birds/

Blueberries need a second, different variety nearby for best pollination.

All three of those plants need acidic soil (pH ~5) to do well.

I wouldn't count on a crop the first year after planting. Some varieties of raspberries produce on the first year cane, some on the second year cane.

Old 09-09-2020, 11:31 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
While I certainly understand the drive to grow things, I feel sorry for people with such limited space and soil that they need to turn to container gardening for food plants--They can hardly expect to have enough containers to get more than a few servings at most....Is it worth it?

Blueberries, being a bush, would need a fairly large container, but at least each plant can produce many fruits. Raspberries & blackberries don't root deeply, but each can only produces a handful of berries.

All of those are highly dependent on pollinators. If you're located in a condo in Manhattan, your balcony garden may prove disappointing. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...ollination.htm

https://entomology.ces.ncsu.edu/smal...y-pollinators/

https://the-natural-web.org/2017/05/...ees-and-birds/

Blueberries need a second, different variety nearby for best pollination.

All three of those plants need acidic soil (pH ~5) to do well.

I wouldn't count on a crop the first year after planting. Some varieties of raspberries produce on the first year cane, some on the second year cane.
Pay attention to this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden