U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2020, 10:30 PM

9,769 posts, read 8,075,783 times

Advertisements

Are there any peanut growers here? Does anyone know if peanut plants can be grown indoors as houseplants in containers?

When I was working in the garden today I found a couple of 6 inch tall peanut plants growing side by side that had grown from a single peanut pod that a squirrel buried in one of the raised flower beds. An elderly neighbour feeds peanuts to the squirrels every day and the squirrels immediately bury them in my flower beds. I'm always finding them in the soil but this is the first time I have ever seen any of them germinate and grow. First time in my life I've seen a living peanut plant, period.

So I lifted them out and transplanted them into a container for the time being until I decide what I want to do with them, i.e. keep them indoors over the winter (whether they go dormant or not, I don't know) or just throw them out on the compost pile?

I did some research online and found out that peanut plants are actually perennials but they are grown as annuals so if it's actually a perennial I'm wondering if it would be possible to keep these two plants alive indoors in pots over the winter. I don't think there's any way they could survive outdoors during the winter here in the PNW even if it is zone 9B in my specific location.

The reason I'm asking is I'd kind of like to try to keep them alive as houseplants and then give them to my neighbour as a joke in the spring. He was complaining and singing the blues at me the other day about how he can't keep plants alive and can't work in the garden and now he's got nothing better to do with himself except spend his last days on earth stuffing himself with food and stuffing peanuts into the squirrels. I thought he might get a kick out of peanut plants as houseplants that got started because of him (in our climate of all places!) because he's now so devoted to feeding the squirrels.

So what do you think? Is it worth trying? Any advice or suggestions?

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2020, 07:12 AM

14,431 posts, read 17,056,176 times
My wife and I successfully grew peanuts over 20 years ago when we lived in WV. Most varieties require a long growing season and we simply lucked out that one year. I just looked them up and most varieties require 130-140 frost free days. Most require a sandy soil or super organic soil as well. It may be helpful to know which variety they are in order to determine growing.

You can try to grow them in a pot but you're going to need a HUGE pot- the peanuts grow underground. Keep it moist and when time to harvest let the soil dry out. You then have to gently brush the soil off the peanuts and roots and hang them somewhere to dry. We used an old screen door elevated on sawhorses in our shed. We also hung some from the rafters. You can expect 50-100 peanuts off one plant. We planted maybe a dozen to 2 dozen plants and we had peanuts for a loooong time, lol.

All I can say is the flavor of home grown Virginia peanuts is memorable. We LOVE boiled peanuts, Southern style.

Last edited by Threerun; 08-25-2020 at 07:34 AM..

Old 08-25-2020, 10:32 AM

Thanks Threerun. So I have another question, do you recall how big just the root system alone gets on the mature plants, and how big is the above ground height/spread of the plants?

Old 08-25-2020, 10:43 AM

Those peanuts grew down at least a foot and AND we had to hill a bit of soil up on peanuts that were peeking out. I'd the tuber system was easy 2' or more in diameter. They were grown in really rich soil- I could literally stick my hand down to near my elbow with little effort.

Old 08-25-2020, 11:36 AM

Okay, thanks again. So it sounds like just the plants themselves could get to be as big as potato plants, with or without the peanuts growing from them. If these two survive the winter in containers indoors I don't plan to let them produce peanut pods in the ground next year. After (if) they flower next year, I will cut off the pegs that would ordinarily grow down into the ground once the flower petals expire so no pods can grow on them. It will be an experiment.

Old 08-25-2020, 01:18 PM

You may want to do some research into whether peanuts can be container grown. Man if they can- I'd fill some of my shop area with grow lights, keep the heat on raise some peanuts! I'm sure a neighbor might call the cops on me thinking I had a pot operation, but boy wouldn't that be funny to be served with a warrant for them to find out I'm growing peanuts.

Report back!

Old 08-25-2020, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
You may want to do some research into whether peanuts can be container grown. Man if they can- I'd fill some of my shop area with grow lights, keep the heat on raise some peanuts! I'm sure a neighbor might call the cops on me thinking I had a pot operation, but boy wouldn't that be funny to be served with a warrant for them to find out I'm growing peanuts.

Report back!
I had read up about that last night. You can grow them in containers. There's some good information here:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...or%20so%20deep.

It's just another one of my crazy ideas but it occurs to me that a peanut plant being saved as a perennial under lights in a container of adequate size for the roots alone could be sunk into the middle of a much larger container full of soil that would accommodate just the pegs and pods. When it comes time to harvest just the pods out of that soil you loosen the soil a bit, lift the smaller contained plant straight up out of the surrounding soil without causing damage to the plant's foliage and roots, remove the pods from plants or soil to dry on their own on wire racks, and replace the intact potted plant (without pods now) back into the soil in the larger container.

What comes to mind for example is something like individual contained plants that get sunk into raised beds, or into the middles of half barrels of soil, or on a floor maybe a kiddies' 2-3 feet deep backyard wading pool filled with soil and with several smaller containers of potted plants sunk 18 inches apart into the soil in the pool. (an instant Sea Of Green) Hang up some reflective mylar sheets around the whole pool and install the appropriate grow lights on a timer above it all. And a fan.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-25-2020 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-25-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I had read up about that last night. You can grow them in containers. There's some good information here:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edi...or%20so%20deep.

It's just another one of my crazy ideas but it occurs to me that a peanut plant being saved as a perennial under lights in a container of adequate size for the roots alone could be sunk into the middle of a much larger container full of soil that would accommodate just the pegs and pods. When it comes time to harvest just the pods out of that soil you loosen the soil a bit, lift the smaller contained plant straight up out of the surrounding soil without causing damage to the plant's foliage and roots, remove the pods from plants or soil to dry on their own on wire racks, and replace the intact potted plant (without pods now) back into the soil in the larger container.

What comes to mind for example is something like individual contained plants that get sunk into raised beds, or into the middles of half barrels of soil, or on a floor maybe a kiddies' 2-3 feet deep backyard wading pool filled with soil and with several smaller containers of potted plants sunk 18 inches apart into the soil in the pool. (an instant Sea Of Green) Hang up some reflective mylar sheets around the whole pool and install the appropriate grow lights on a timer above it all. And a fan.

I think they thrive in humid environments too. You'd have to create that 75% humidity or more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden