Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 07:50 AM

2,026 posts, read 2,773,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
DH and I took out 16 trees on our property ourselves some 30 feet. We had 4 professional removed as two were Curley Willows and too close to the house. The other two were 35 foot maples. The former owner never met a tree he didn't like.
I like trees a lot, but I think this is too much.

Here is a zoom out, showing all the front side trees:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 08:11 AM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,636 times
It really boils down to what you like. I would not be too concerned about a storm if you keep them pruned well. The house is still standing after30 years. Cut down what you want to as its your house and enjoy it.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:15 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
I like trees, I like privacy. Personally unless the trees were threatening foundation or sidewalks, or they created an unbearable gloom in the house, I'd keep them. I'd trim that shrub on the right though!

Old 08-29-2020, 08:26 AM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
The issue I see is they are so close to the house they will drop too much litter and debris on the roof, clogging gutters and give a pathway for insects and rodents.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:43 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
OP lives in Florida? You need to plant more trees.

Every winter here I want to take down the 10 trees I have near my house. Every summer I am grateful I don't.

PLANT MORE. My neighbor regrets taking his down. He said his house is so much warmer now and the A/C runs more than before with the trees.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:46 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
I think a rain garden in your ditch would look good.

Old 08-29-2020, 12:15 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,773,866 times
When I am standing at the front door, those 2 willow trees give a really nice feel to the place. But when I'm looking at my house from the road, it looks like a pile of brick behind some bush. That is why I was thinking on pruning (with a chainsaw) the top off. The issue is the leafy branches start above the gutter line, and it might look weird after pruning, cut branches sticking upwards. So pruning might not be possible.

I'm also worried that in high winds the willows would bang on the roof and the gutter, poking a hole on the roof causing water damage.

I just pruned the juniper bush on the right to about half size, with a hand saw.

Old 08-29-2020, 02:45 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,681,636 times
Prune or remove anything that can contact the house. If it is that close, remove it as it will lead to eventual damage as well as insects getting into the house.
Personally, I love the privacy and shade tress give. But when too close to the house, they must be cut back.

Old 08-29-2020, 04:32 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
I prefer the third picture where the darkly looming trees flanking the front entrance have been eliminated. Their removal shows off the front entrance to better and brighter advantage and the whole front of the house just looks neater, tidier, more spacious, more welcoming and better taken care of.

Last edited by Zoisite; 08-29-2020 at 05:17 PM..

Old 08-29-2020, 04:47 PM

37,096 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
When I am standing at the front door, those 2 willow trees give a really nice feel to the place. But when I'm looking at my house from the road, it looks like a pile of brick behind some bush. That is why I was thinking on pruning (with a chainsaw) the top off. The issue is the leafy branches start above the gutter line, and it might look weird after pruning, cut branches sticking upwards. So pruning might not be possible.

I'm also worried that in high winds the willows would bang on the roof and the gutter, poking a hole on the roof causing water damage.

I just pruned the juniper bush on the right to about half size, with a hand saw.
I live on nine acres of mostly trees. The aerial view of our house during summer barely shows the roof. We have only removed trees that were dead or dying.

Therefore I think your house looks beautiful just the way it is. I suspect the trees in front of the windows were planted to provide privacy so drapes can be open and people on the street cannot see in.

You might want to consider getting some guidance about pruning. Trees rarely take well to having their tops lopped off. Do not do that.

Shrubs do better when selectively pruned to let light get into the interior so inside branches can leaf out. Junipers are tricky.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...er-pruning.htm

A consultation with a landscape professional would help you resolve your concerns.

However, those who say do what pleases you are correct. If you would be happier taking out some of the trees, do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden