Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 03:47 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,076,286 times

Advertisements

I also agree that it just looks too busy.
I don’t really care about the curb appeal but it just seems off a bit.

Trees close to a house cause all sorts of problems.
Damage due to falling on the house.
Roof and gutter issues.
And one of my favorites... trenching through roots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 08:32 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,068,206 times
I love trees. But mostly when they're far enough from the house such that when their branches fall and hit it in a storm, the damage is mostly cosmetic, not structural. I also want trees far enough away that they don't drop bugs on you when you're walking in, don't drop sap and bird poop on your car, don't fill your gutters with leaves, don't allow squirrels and raccoons easy access to your roof, and don't destroy your sewer and other utility lines with their roots. Beyond those parameters, they're great and make neighborhoods seem much more welcoming, pleasant, and shady.

Old 08-30-2020, 08:33 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
Looks GORGEOUS, just as it is!!!! Your house probably outclasses the neighboring homes. Your trees are artfully limbed-up, and give the house a much more classy vibe than would the architecture on its own.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:26 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
I like it as it is but realize some trimming needs to be done. Seeing the remarks of the OP it's clear they have the ability to perform the work but not the knowledge to do it properly. That's exactly where I'd be so I'd get an arborist to come give an evaluation and either have the arborist do the work or follow their instructions. This is not a job to be done by the guy who mows the lawn.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:05 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I love trees but I agree you have too many. I like the last picture the best.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:23 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
No, never enough trees. I am planting more trees on my lot, my house has deep woods surrounding it with many varieties of trees, several hundred on my 0.75 acre lot. The biggest issue is managing the buffer area between the grassy area and the woods as lots of invasive species like that area. Wildlife is quite numerous, and my roof gets plenty of shade in the summer, lowering my utility bills substantially- while the ignorant other neighbors have their houses being broiled by the sun. I have a very large pine tree that is over 80 ft tall that is nearly on top of the foundation, but it seems to be far enough away and is well over 40 years old. I will have to trim it a bit next year to remove some dead branches.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:27 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,575,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
I love trees. But mostly when they're far enough from the house such that when their branches fall and hit it in a storm, the damage is mostly cosmetic, not structural. I also want trees far enough away that they don't drop bugs on you when you're walking in, don't drop sap and bird poop on your car, don't fill your gutters with leaves, don't allow squirrels and raccoons easy access to your roof, and don't destroy your sewer and other utility lines with their roots. Beyond those parameters, they're great and make neighborhoods seem much more welcoming, pleasant, and shady.
Further to the south, and you'll understand very quickly why people like as many trees as possible, even closer to the house. It's called broiling heat, humidity, and torrid sun, and any shade mitigates the nastiness, including shading the roof of your house and lowering utility bills substantially. Yes, you do have to continually trim and maintain the trees a bit away from the roof, but they add a massive value compared to houses that have the inferior landscaping that is non existent.

Old 08-31-2020, 11:19 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
Since I live in a hurricane prone state, my concern would be having large trees so close to the house and having them falling on the house. I know someone who was killed by a falling tree during Hurricane Andrew. All my large trees are a minimum of 20 feet away from the house.

Old 08-31-2020, 11:28 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
There should be no trees blocking the view of the house from the street (unless you want there to be)

Old 08-31-2020, 11:31 AM

291 posts, read 109,297 times
i just let em grow, they are a necessity if you are working with gasoline and stuff all the time, they are natures air cleaners ya know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden