Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2020, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 734 times

Advertisements

It is time to transplant my gardenia, which is currently in a 5-gallon clay pot. I am considering transplanting it to a fabric pot (smart pot, spring pot, etc.) but am concerned as I have been told gardenias like to be slightly rootbound. The fabric pots are supposed to prevent plants becoming rootbound.

Has anyone grown a gardenia in a fabric pot? Any gardenia experts have an opinion? I don't want to kill my plant. It is a Frost Proof gardenia plant that is about 3 years old and very healthy at this point.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 05:57 PM

14,666 posts, read 14,763,640 times
I haven't used them, but if I was going to try them I'd want to trial them and experiment first with less valuable plants that have similar growing requirements as gardenia, but which are less "precious" to me than an already well established, healthy gardenia.

From the reading I've been doing about the fabric pots it's pretty clear that due to transpiration of both air and moisture through the fabric the soil in them will dry out a way lot faster than it will in a container with solid walls. Plus it air-prunes the roots of plants, (the roots dry out and shrivel up when they make contact with the fabric) and that is how it stops plants from getting root bound in circles. I don't want my plant's roots drying out and shriveling up. Also the fabric will not provide the same kind of insulation from cold and cold triggered dehydration that a solid walled container will.

So I think I would not want to put a gardenia in one of them. With a plant like that which has more value to me I'm going to stick with what I already know is tried and true.

But I would certainly be willing to try the fabric pots with other plants whose roots would be more resistant to the drying effects of air circulating more freely through the soil.

Old 09-12-2020, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 734 times
Thanks for your input. It is happy where it is. In the Spring, I may just put it end the ground.

Old 09-12-2020, 02:12 PM

32,503 posts, read 47,500,455 times
I agree with Zoisite. I don't know anything about fabric pots, but I don't experiment with my precious valuable plants.

Try the pots with a tomato plant first. If it doesn't work, you aren't out too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden