Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2020, 04:02 PM

525 posts, read 332,796 times

Advertisements

Is it safe to use pine straw under a bird feeder? What is the difference between using wheat straw and pine straw? Right now I am using natural wheat straw but the problem is that it gets dirty fast especially after a week of rain then something grows out of it that looks like fungus or mold. What I do is every week I add a noticeable higher layer of wheat straw on top of the old so the birds can't eat from the old wheat straw and do this every week for a month then clean all of it and replace it with new wheat straw. The bad thing about this is that the natural wheat straw can be expensive. I found a place that sells pine straw which costs way less. They say it's natural pine straw. Do most places sell natural pine straw with no chemicals added to it? And why don't they advertise it as natural pine straw? Will mold or fungus also grow from the pine straw? Can pine straw cause plants, grass, or weeds to grow? The pine straw costs way less but I have to make sure it's 100% safe and really natural pine straw. This is why I am asking these questions here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2020, 04:19 PM

19,363 posts, read 22,309,954 times
Wheat straw will inevitably give you a wheat grass. Lot's of it. I use straw as a last resort or as an insulator to garden plants in cold weather- but we're pulling grass left and right when we do use it. We have pine trees so I rake and save my pine straw for general mulch. No seedlings sprout.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:37 PM

9,337 posts, read 13,912,847 times
The names are perhaps confusing you. Wheat straw is cut from wheat plants that have been dried from wheat grass after the seed has been harvested. Trouble is, there is sometimes a little bit of seed that escapes and then can germinate later.

Meanwhile pine straw is simply pine needles that dried on the pine tree then fell on the ground and were raked up. No seed. Well dried. Full of tannins that inhibit mold.

You would be happier with pine straw.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
The names are perhaps confusing you. Wheat straw is cut from wheat plants that have been dried from wheat grass after the seed has been harvested. Trouble is, there is sometimes a little bit of seed that escapes and then can germinate later.

Meanwhile pine straw is simply pine needles that dried on the pine tree then fell on the ground and were raked up. No seed. Well dried. Full of tannins that inhibit mold.

You would be happier with pine straw.

Is it safe for birds to eat from pine straw and possibly even eat it? Birds eat from wheat straw. Also, is there a way to know if pine straw is really natural and doesn't contain chemicals? I don't know why companies don't advertise it as natural if it is.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:53 PM

22,807 posts, read 18,101,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzui View Post
Is it safe for birds to eat from pine straw and possibly even eat it? Birds eat from wheat straw. Also, is there a way to know if pine straw is really natural and doesn't contain chemicals? I don't know why companies don't advertise it as natural if it is.
Pine needles are pine needles. Shouldn't hurt any birds. The grass around the area you spread them won't like them.

Old 08-31-2020, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Pine needles are pine needles. Shouldn't hurt any birds. The grass around the area you spread them won't like them.

why?

Old 09-01-2020, 09:40 AM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
Quote:
Birds are everywhere in pine forests, they will even use the straw to build nests.

Pine straw baling is a big business in my area, and there are normally no chemicals used. It's usually either Longleaf pine or Slash pine. They simply rake up the straw, pack it into a baler, and tie it up. Some people do roll it up, rather than make square bales.

I suppose it's possible some glyphosate may get used in some areas to control weeds (landscapers hate weeds in their straw), but by the time the straw is baled it's likely all gone.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:44 AM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
Quote:
why?
Pine needles are acidic, which is why acid loving plants like azaleas, rhodies, and blueberries grow better around pine trees. Some grass may not care for the acidity, but for our grasses here in the South (centipede and St Augustine) it's doesn't bother them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden