Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 10:30 AM

1,781 posts, read 1,207,649 times

Advertisements

I was at the nursery expressing my desire for a SMALL tree and the owner said well you can keep it 4 feet high if you want just trim it.

I was like ???? I always heard that adjusting the height of a tree would kill it.

(It was an orange tree if it matters).

I do not actually want a tree at all due to lack of space but HOA requires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 10:50 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Why not just buy a dwarf tree to start with, given the height requirement.

I should further state that you can go to a nursery and tell them the exposure, soil type and height that you wish the tree to be.

Old 09-20-2020, 10:52 AM

130,305 posts, read 12,105,905 times
We toured a fig tree orchard & the owner said they keep them from growing too tall, so they can be picked without ladders. But you might need an arborist to do it correctly. so I like nuts idea of a dwarf tree.

Old 09-20-2020, 11:00 AM

4,190 posts, read 2,509,475 times
Depends on the tree. The power company does it without killing them, though they don't do it for aesthetic reasons. Its not unusual for a new "leader" to be chosen on a tree after a storm.

Keeping a tall tree smaller is an art and its work. It also means more open wounds to heal and risk infesting with critters and disease before they heal. As mentioned above, dwarf trees and semi-dwarf trees might be a better option.

I'm not familiar with orange trees, but I have seen them kept in greenhouses rather small, but those folks who have greenhouses are usually very skilled.

I sort of look at it this way: gardening is fun, you win some, you loose some, but I will admit that it is possible to get attached to a tree. (I have an indoor bonsai that is over 30 years old; I would not like something to happen to it now.)

Last edited by webster; 09-20-2020 at 11:10 AM..

Old 09-20-2020, 11:01 AM

1,156 posts, read 941,458 times
People top trees all the time, but the trees grow those fast growing vertical branches to compensate that look terrible and do not grow normal branches. Eventually they end up with a tragic looking mess of a tree.

Old 09-20-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Why not just buy a dwarf tree to start with, given the height requirement..

Because none of the nurseries I have been to sell them. Even the nursery that ONLY sells citrus. Most of my neighbors buy unsuitable trees for the space then they have to remove and replace evey 5-7 years. I didn't want to do that. . . (It doesn't literally have to be 4 feet tall but max maybe 8 which would be short for a tree).

Last edited by ihatetodust; 09-20-2020 at 11:46 AM..

Old 09-20-2020, 12:16 PM

6 posts, read 2,207 times
Of all things, I have two camphor trees that randomly sprouted in my front yard and I have been trimming them for many years now to maintain a round shape to them. They're only about 10' high or so and they actually look pretty nice. I also have a lemon tree that I do this to. I've let it run its own course over several years and it wasn't until I began trimming it that I started getting good quality lemons out of it.

Old 09-20-2020, 01:04 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
I trim the top of my trees just fine, never an issue. I have a variety of tropical type fruit trees. Never heard an issue from it, the professional growers keep their trees trimmed at certain sizes for optimal fruiting and harvesting.

Old 09-20-2020, 01:43 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
I was at the nursery expressing my desire for a SMALL tree and the owner said well you can keep it 4 feet high if you want just trim it.

I was like ???? I always heard that adjusting the height of a tree would kill it.

(It was an orange tree if it matters).

I do not actually want a tree at all due to lack of space but HOA requires.
Yes, you can keep many types of trees trimmed back so they stay small and sculpted without dying, but for some kinds of trees it's an art form that requires a lot of skill and patience and good knowledge about sculpting trees.

If you have to get a tree because the HOA requires it, and if an orange tree strikes your fancy, you could get yourself a nice little calamondin tree. They are super easy for a novice to keep pruned back and nicely shaped and they don't grow into huge trees anyways even if they're never pruned. https://www.google.ca/search?q=matur...w=1346&bih=678

There are other kinds of dwarf trees that you could consider too, if you don't want to fuss with keeping a tree pruned back. If nurseries around you don't have them on the premises you could ask to have what you want specially ordered in for you. Any good nursery worth it's salt and good reputation that wants to keep repeat customers will go to the effort of having what you want shipped in for you.

Old 09-20-2020, 03:01 PM

Thanks, all. I didn't get a real good impression of the nurseries I have visited so far. They are naturally more interested in the big ticket 2k trees than the smaller ones I was interested. The one I used to go to who had people that actually seemed to like plants went bankrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden