Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 10:34 AM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times

Advertisements

It's amazing that the forests survived for eons without maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2020, 10:57 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's amazing that the forests survived for eons without maintenance.
Forests as a whole? Sure. Forests as your yard? Not so simple.

For eons, forests would burn every 15 years or so, naturally in small chunks. That's not desirable in a yard. Furthermore we've prevented it as a society for a century and a half.

Old 09-25-2020, 11:48 AM

8,573 posts, read 12,400,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Many states have "master gardener programs" through their extension service. Some states also have a master naturist program which trains the public on how to maintain their natural areas whether they are woods, swamps, meadows and so forth. It might be worth a shot to call your local extension office to see if there is such a program where you live. If so, part of the program might include a trained volunteer coming out to your property.

About three weeks ago, I met with an agronomist through a state program. She walked my property, made many helpful suggestions on land and water management and in the process saved me a lot of $.
Some of the naturist programs can be pretty eye-opening.

Old 09-25-2020, 01:46 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,424,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Some of the naturist programs can be pretty eye-opening.
Yeah, I didn't have the heart to correct that poster. It's Master Naturalist.

Old 09-25-2020, 01:56 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Yeah, I didn't have the heart to correct that poster. It's Master Naturalist.
LOL. But you just did, so you must have had a change of heart.

Now, do you care to explain the difference?

BTW, there are also programs and courses offered in Naturism too.

Old 09-25-2020, 02:05 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Reminds me of the time my wife and I took a group of Boy Scouts on a back packing trip on the Appalachian Trail. We were doing warm-up trips for a 14 day trip to Philmont Scout ranch in NM (a hiking camp).

Coming in the opposite direction was a group of 20-something backpackers- all naked.

Couldn't shield all their eyes, lol. They said it was 'Naked Hiking Day'.

Old 09-25-2020, 03:20 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
Reminds me of the time my wife and I took a group of Boy Scouts on a back packing trip on the Appalachian Trail. We were doing warm-up trips for a 14 day trip to Philmont Scout ranch in NM (a hiking camp).

Coming in the opposite direction was a group of 20-something backpackers- all naked.

One thought that image brings to mind is chafing...

Old 09-25-2020, 04:14 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post

One of my nephews was supposed to go to Philmont this year and last. Last year there were fires. This year, of course, it was closed in June. "If" he gets to go next year, I'll warn him about naked hikers

Old 09-25-2020, 04:36 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
One of my nephews was supposed to go to Philmont this year and last. Last year there were fires. This year, of course, it was closed in June. "If" he gets to go next year, I'll warn him about naked hikers
It's a fun time. Has he told you what type of trek they're planning? It used to be 'easy, moderate, strenuous and super strenuous'. We did strenuous.

The hike wasn't tough, but 14 days with 8 teenagers was strenuous, lol.

Old 09-25-2020, 05:02 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,383,237 times
I understand you would like it to look more park-like. But as others have mentioned here; by removing the fallen branches you are removing habitat for animals and insects and preventing the rotting wood from fertilizing the soil. Moving debris to the side might disturb but not destruct.

If you feel you have to move it out there are people who would use it for fireplaces; or chips for their garden beds; or carve it. Some one in your community would love to collect it and use it in their own home.

When I was a young thing, I lived in a house without utilities and was always scavenging for firewood.

You mentioned white pine. Its wood is highly desired and in Ontario, Canada, it is protected as an endangered species. I don't know if it is the same where you live. Just thought I should mention it.

Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden