Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2020, 07:56 AM

2,373 posts, read 1,911,170 times

Advertisements

Wondering about strong reflected light and heat in that setting.

Nitrogen deficiency? Drainage? Drainage isn't unintentionally getting blocked, is it?

A friend told me about Bronze Orange bug that feeds on the sap of young shoots causing wilt.

Keep us updated on how things go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2020, 09:17 AM

195 posts, read 273,925 times
ok thanks all, embarassing that I've been watering a weed for the past 6-months...but I am no gardener...Into the trash it goes, not risking any poisonous plants with dogs and kids around. Off to HD to get a dwarf lemon and be done with it. Just thought it would be fun to plant it from a seed...

Old 09-24-2020, 10:48 AM

14,735 posts, read 15,020,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ps2cho View Post
ok thanks all, embarassing that I've been watering a weed for the past 6-months...but I am no gardener...Into the trash it goes, not risking any poisonous plants with dogs and kids around. Off to HD to get a dwarf lemon and be done with it. Just thought it would be fun to plant it from a seed...
Don't feel embarrassed, it can happen more often than you might think, even to seasoned gardeners.

As DKM suggested, look for a Meyer lemon plant when you go shopping.

I like your turquoise coloured plant pot.

Old 09-24-2020, 05:53 PM

1,462 posts, read 972,162 times
Quote:
We're trying the same thing at our house, but with mandarin oranges. I have 3 sprouting up about 3" so far. The kids like it and hopefully they are mandarin oranges.

Good luck with your HD purchase.

Old 09-24-2020, 09:47 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times
Keep in mind that cheap dwarf lemon may take a while to produce any fruit. Like years... So if you want faster fruit get the slightly thicker stem kind that is like 100 bucks instead of 35. Remember when shopping for citrus you can tell the age but the thickness of the stem and not the height of the tree. For me I enjoy the growing phase so years ago I got a cheap young one that will take over for my old sickly lemon tree soon.

Old 09-25-2020, 07:07 AM

83,502 posts, read 75,260,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Definitely not lemons. I suspect that the seeds did not germinate, and instead, you got a couple of volunteer plants, probably weeds from some seeds that were in the soil.

This is what lemon leaves look like:

They are stiff, thick, and very glossy. Also, you can tear a leaf and sniff it, there is a distinctive citrus aroma.

Agree. That's what I was going to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Does not look like a lemon to me either. A lemon would never grow to 3' in 3-4 months.

Regards
Gemstone1
Agree.

Old 09-25-2020, 09:37 AM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
We've probably all done something similar; I planted passion fruit from seeds, and got citrus trees! Never did figure out what kind of citrus or where the seeds came from. The trees were 12' tall when I sold the house, but had never fruited or even bloomed.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:35 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,584,054 times
Most citrus cultivars are grafted onto trifoliate orange root stock. If you try to grow a tree from the seeds, the seedlings likely will not be like the parent tree, and there's no telling what type of fruit it will produce.

Same thing with apples, if you plant the seeds from a red delicious apple, the seedling is likely to end up producing small inedible apples, or even crabapples. It's a very slim chance you'll get something desirable.

Old 09-26-2020, 07:43 AM

24,488 posts, read 10,815,620 times
A leggy tomatoe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden