Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 10:33 PM

404 posts, read 765,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
If you want to make friends with a neighbor that will be living next to you, which is more important, good will for a decade, or a few hundred bucks? Be a mench and sell the shed for $5 just to make it legal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
if that's not on your property, just give it to your neighbor or let them do what they want with it?
I think these are the best suggestions - it's not on your property, you don't think it's likely to survive a move (and may not be worth the expense of moving), and the neighbor apparently wants it.

Give it to him, or sell for $1/$5/$10 if there is a concern over legality of gifting, and you'll have a happy neighbor and no worries about the property line issue.

I am curious though - I would assume (probably incorrectly) that the doors face your property - is it so far off your property that the doors can open and stuff can be loaded/unloaded without encroaching on your property? Otherwise, it might need to be moved or re-oriented regardless...

On the other hand, if you want to start the relationship with your new neighbor on the wrong foot, tell him you're filing for adverse possession since it's been there for 15 years...

(please don't actually do that)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2020, 05:15 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
I try to get along with neighbors and I want to be reasonable with them.

I just wanted to a "fair" price. A lower price than I initially thought of is fair. Depending on how they are when I meet them, I might just give it to them. Those suggestions are appreciated as well.

The shed's front does not point to my house and in fact, it sits kinda far away, it would be more convenient for the future neighbors to use it. I'd have to clear trees in order to move it onto my property and I thought if it costs around 300 to move and a few hundred more to clear trees + preparing the place for it to sit, it probably is not worth it. Most of the property is very hilly, so earth would have to be leveled out for the shed.

Ooops, I used the word "tiles" for shingles in the earlier posts. Sorry about that.

Anyway, thanks again for all the comments and feedback.

Old 10-09-2020, 08:23 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
So if the property line was "off by a few feet", doesn't that mean most of the shed is still in your side? Seems either way one of you will have to move it.

If it's built on skids it's not that hard to do, just jack it up and put posts under it for it to roll onto. I just moved my 12x12 recently using that method.

Old 10-09-2020, 01:02 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,769,824 times
The shed literally sits about 2-3 feet from my property. So if I kept it, I would have to move it.

Old 10-10-2020, 09:13 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
How did you end up owning a shed that is on someone else's [property?

Old 10-10-2020, 11:45 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
The shed literally sits about 2-3 feet from my property. So if I kept it, I would have to move it.
So it's not on your property at all?

If that's the case I'd feel inclined to just give it to the neighbor. If they don't want it then it's your responsibility to move it.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:17 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
If you have it empty and you have a long board (Like a 2X4X8) and another person to help, you might be able to raise it. Use the board and a fulcrum, like a log or rock, to lift and have another person shove in a logs underneath. If you have a pickup with a trailer hitch, you could screw in two large hooks into heavy floor joist on each side and attach chains or heavy rope to your truck. Most 4-wheel drive trucks should be able to skid that shed. Especially if you keep shoving in logs for it to roll on. Heck, it the logs are round and the ground is level and hard, you might be able to move it by hand. Just move it slowly and keep putting more logs in front as the first logs get close to the half way point in the shed.

Old 10-16-2020, 07:30 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
if he doesn't want it, get his permission to burn it down, will make disposal much easier.

Old 10-17-2020, 06:38 AM

8,313 posts, read 3,922,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
I try to get along with neighbors and I want to be reasonable with them.

I just wanted to a "fair" price. A lower price than I initially thought of is fair. Depending on how they are when I meet them, I might just give it to them. Those suggestions are appreciated as well.

The shed's front does not point to my house and in fact, it sits kinda far away, it would be more convenient for the future neighbors to use it. I'd have to clear trees in order to move it onto my property and I thought if it costs around 300 to move and a few hundred more to clear trees + preparing the place for it to sit, it probably is not worth it. Most of the property is very hilly, so earth would have to be leveled out for the shed.

Ooops, I used the word "tiles" for shingles in the earlier posts. Sorry about that.

Anyway, thanks again for all the comments and feedback.
Give it to them regardless of how they are. If they are nice people, great. If they are going to be problem neighbors, it's worth having this good will in the bank when you need it. It's well worth it since you will be living next to these people for a long time. TBH I would be shocked at a neighbor asking me to pay $1200 for an old deteriorating shed.

Old 10-17-2020, 10:18 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
All these people wanting to tear the shed down or burn it. Those things cost a couple thousand dollars and that one looks in pretty good shape.

OP still hasn't told us why he owns a shed that is on the neighbor's property. It sounds a lot to me like the shed actually belongs to the neighbor because it is on the neighbor's property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden