Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2020, 05:03 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,849,658 times

Advertisements

Can someone give me a recommendation of Apple tree type with great red or yellow leaves in fall.

I like Yellow delicious because of its bright yellow fruit. How is the leaf in fall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2020, 02:06 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,171,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Can someone give me a recommendation of Apple tree type with great red or yellow leaves in fall.

I like Yellow delicious because of its bright yellow fruit. How is the leaf in fall?
I’d imagine they’d turn yellow or brown...........but, I don’t know that for sure since I personally don’t have a yellow delicious apple tree. I’m sure eventually someone on here will see your question and answer as best they can

Old 10-15-2020, 11:07 PM

14,634 posts, read 14,725,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post

Depends on whether or not you care about the edibility, nutritional value and size of the fruits. It's been generally found that the varieties of cultivated apple trees that produce bright coloured autumn foliage usually produce smaller fruits often of lower nutritional quality than apple varieties that don't get showy autumn foliage.

If a colourful apple tree type is desirable just for show you could consider some of the crabapple species. There are some that put on a good foliage display through the seasons, some have red leaves from spring to autumn, plus many produce nice fruits that are suitable for making ciders, putting up preserves, jellies, sauces and sweet spiced pickled crabapples (my favourite). For example, the variety Callaway comes highly recommended and it produces larger sized fruits than most other crabapples:

13 best crabapples:
Quote:
https://www.bhg.com/gardening/trees-...ed%20in%20fall.

The large red fruits of 'Callaway' crabapples trees are good for making a tart jelly as well as attracting birds to the garden. The tree blooms in spring with single white fragrant flowers. Its leaves emerge green, then they turn shades of yellow, orange, and red in fall. It is one of the best crabapple trees for Southern areas because it has a low-chill requirement for flowering and fruiting. It also has excellent resistance to scab, fire blight, powdery mildew, and cedar-apple rust, even through hot, humid summer conditions.

Form: Oval, rounded

Season of Bloom: Mid-spring

Size: Up to 25 feet tall and 20 feet wide

Zones: 5-8
There are some more colourful crabapple types listed here: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/orn...-varieties.htm

Old 10-16-2020, 11:00 PM

32,482 posts, read 47,415,214 times
I've had a bunch of apple varieties and they all have yellow fall foliage, and not a spectacular display.

If you want apples choose by what you like to eat and what wI'll grow in your area. If foliage is your primary desire, pick something else besides apples.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden