Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 09:11 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,217 times

Advertisements

Iris are perhaps my favorite perennials. A native of the world, it is at home in many different climates and soils. Most important it's gorgeous both in form and color: the name "iris" comes from the Greek word for rainbow. And indeed it does come in a wide range of colors from white to blue to purple to ruby red to yellow. The velvet texture of its petals is incredibly attractive. You want to caress it! One of the first plants to flower in the spring, its culture is very easy.

Perhaps my favorite iris is a native American: the Louisiana iris - a large size bloom of lovely shape and spectacular colors. This plant grows in garden soil, water or on the margins of a pond or lake. Look at it at Wayside Gardens website.
Wayside Gardens: Iris louisiana 'Black Gamecock' - A Louisiana Iris with huge purple-black blooms highlighted in gold; very vigorous in wet, boggy soils. (http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10151& langId=-1&mainPage=LGprodview&ItemId=49797&cid=wpp000089 - broken link)

How about the rest of you? What’s your favorite perennial. Anybody with me about iris? If so, which is your favorite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 10:42 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,420,754 times
The Iris is my favorite too -- but I never thought about planting any in my yard because I thought they were too delicate. Thanks SO much for the link. Omygosh, that Black Gamecock is stunning! I'm going to order some and give it a try!!

Old 05-03-2008, 01:48 PM

Heavens, no. They are not the least bit delicate and some kinds (Japanese Iris e.g.) seed themselves. The one thing you do have to be careful of with the bearded iris is letting the roots rot. You have to have decent drainage - not super drainage - but decent drainage.

Last edited by BarbJ; 05-03-2008 at 02:02 PM..

Old 05-03-2008, 03:26 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
At our last home I had the most beautiful irises, several varieties, in different gardens. In this house, after 11 years, I cannot get any irises to bloom! I will occasionally get one to bloom, but rarely. I am at a loss as to what the problem is. They look so healthy, but they just sit there. And they are in several different locations, ranging from part to full sun. Not buried too deeply, or overcrowded. I'm going to divide one clump soon that was given to me about 8 years ago; I think in all those years I've seen one bloom. It's odd, I think this house is cursed since I had the most beautiful irises at our last house.

One of my favorite perrenials is the tiny "corydalis". I started with one, and they are everywhere here now. They start blooming heavily in early spring, and don't stop until the first frost. Ihave the yellow variety, more yellow than in this pic. They grow to about 10" tall and wide, and are in constant bloom:

Corydalis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also love Evening Primrose, they do well here, if I spray against the deer:
Oenothera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-03-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
At our last home I had the most beautiful irises, several varieties, in different gardens. In this house, after 11 years, I cannot get any irises to bloom! I will occasionally get one to bloom, but rarely. I am at a loss as to what the problem is. They look so healthy, but they just sit there. And they are in several different locations, ranging from part to full sun. Not buried too deeply, or overcrowded. I'm going to divide one clump soon that was given to me about 8 years ago; I think in all those years I've seen one bloom. It's odd, I think this house is cursed since I had the most beautiful irises at our last house.

One of my favorite perrenials is the tiny "corydalis". I started with one, and they are everywhere here now. They start blooming heavily in early spring, and don't stop until the first frost. I have the yellow variety, more yellow than in this pic. They grow to about 10" tall and wide, and are in constant bloom:

Corydalis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also love Evening Primrose, they do well here, if I spray against the deer:
Oenothera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I assume that you are fertilizing your iris and that they are growing them in the correct planting zone. If so, I can't imagine what might be wrong. Do you belong to Dave's Garden? If you do, why don't you ask the question of some other SW Connecticut folks on their forum? They are usually very knowledgeable.

I've never seen a corydalis before. What a lovely flower. I wonder if they grow here in Charlotte. The yellow evening primrose has long been one of my favorites. I took many from the garden in my Minneapolis birthplace before we sold the house. They grew beautifully here in the SE until the city of Charlotte tore up my garden several years ago for a storm water sewer and I have been able to find them again. I now have the pink variety, but would love to have the yellow again.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:09 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
Yep, same zone, they should be fine here. Our current house is only a half hour away from the old one. In fact, some of the irises I brought from our last house.

I have never heard of Dave's Garden, but I looked it up. What a great site, thanks!

Old 05-04-2008, 06:50 AM

342 posts, read 1,793,256 times
I too love Iris. I have alot around my patio, and in my pond as well. They do so well on the shelf ledge around the pond.

I do not know if I have a favorite perennial, there are so many. I do love creeping phlox in the spring. Of course, I wish the blooms would last longer. I am a fan of Daylilies as well. To tough to choose!

Old 05-04-2008, 08:49 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,153,431 times
Black eyed Susan. Shasta Daisy.

I've tried raising them from seed this year. I'm having very little luck. I just planted a whole new batch of seeds outside in trays. I hope they make it better than those I started inside in March.

Old 05-04-2008, 10:06 AM

HC, I hope that your seeds do well too. I keep planting seeds year after year and year after year get scrawny little plants in return for my efforts. I'm going to try cosmos and black susans again this year - one last try! The only seed successes I seems to have are with tomatoes and basil.

I too love daylilies. Last year at this time ( fickle?) I may have posted daylilies as my favorites. Perhaps, my current love affair with iris is because mine are so gorgeous right now. They are overwhelming me with their beauty. I'm out there first thing in the morning to admire them.

HC, which iris do you have in water?

Old 05-04-2008, 10:08 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,679,616 times
Here's another excellent gardening (and quite bit of other stuff) web site. I have found many answers there.

GardenWeb - The Internet's Garden Community

Hostas, Regal Lilies, Iris. Sorry, can't pick just one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden