Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 10:35 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,402,111 times

Advertisements

Sad to say , I don't see the hummers anymore since I moved to Sweden. I guess the bitter cold climate keeps them away.

However, just for everyones benefit, when I lived in the mountains above Palm Springs, California for 24 years , I did everything to attract them. It was'nt till I got a tip from one of the issues of 'Birds and Blooms' magazine, for using a few drops of pure 'Orange Extract' when I made up the sugar water , that I had literally hundreds on my property. I had seven feeders going this one spring all around my covered porch deck and a friend and I counted over 70 in my porch around those feeders. It was crazy , because that count was just around the feeders themselves. There were more hovering around the property just waiting their turn. I gave the same feeder tip to others up there and they also attracted many than before , but not as many as I got that one spring.

It was really cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 07:13 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,334,641 times
I have never heard of that---adding orange extract. It's all natural right? If so, then I would think it would be safe unlike the red dye some people use.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I have never heard of that---adding orange extract. It's all natural right? If so, then I would think it would be safe unlike the red dye some people use.
Yes , 'Orange Exract' is safe because it's not a food colouring , it's an actual extract from the fruit for flavouring. So yes the birds love it.

Old 06-08-2008, 01:46 PM

What a great idea! I'll have to give it a try----not that I don't already have plenty of hummers here already but why not give them a treat?? Thanks....

Old 06-08-2008, 03:41 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,714,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
The red dye is in every hummer food that I can find. How harmful is it to the birds, and if it's not good for them, why do the manufacturers (who supposedly KNOW birds) use it?

Old 06-08-2008, 03:44 PM

I haven't an answer for you. Perhaps they use a different red dye. I make my own syrup for my hummers. They seem to prefer homemade. To be honest the manufactures are probably more interested in their sales and money then the poor hummers health! I have found that the hummers don't care if it's red or not--they will find it anyhow!! I won't use any red dye in mine.

Old 06-08-2008, 04:02 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,206,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
The red dye is in every hummer food that I can find. How harmful is it to the birds, and if it's not good for them, why do the manufacturers (who supposedly KNOW birds) use it?
Because probably way back in time some "professional doing an expense study" on humming birds decided they were attracted to the color red. So we (the public) got programmed into believing their food had to be red. Manufacturers probably felt they could get more money from their red product as opposed to clear.

I make my own with the recipe I posted earlier in this thread and for years my hummers have no problem finding my feeders and they drink it up! It is cheaper to make your own just like it is cheaper to cook at home.

BTW in this heat check your feeders mine were gummed up today and I just refilled them 2 days ago. Next trip to town I will get some orange extract to try for a treat for my hummers! I will put it in one and not the other to see if I see a difference and let ya all. Thanks for sharing that which ever poster did.

Old 06-08-2008, 07:13 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,684,987 times
I saw my first hummingbird yesterday. It buzzed the feeder, but did not drink - weird!

Old 06-09-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Okay , this is extremely important. You DO NOT have to have ANY RED DYE to attract Hummingbirds. If you have one of those simple Humming Bird feeders with the typical 4 RED FLOWERS with the Yellow screen in the center of the flower to keep the bees out , then that is simply enough to attract the birds. I have never used the the pre-manufactured sugar water with red dye ever. The colour of the fake feeder flowers is enough to attract them. Once they taste , they'll never forget. Others then will take notice and come around as well.

Then just sit back and be entertained by all those antics of them chasing each other and trying to lay claim to the territory. I remember one year there was a tough little Hummer who guarded 4 of my feeders. There were these two Hummers ( I called them 'The Brothers' ) who worked as a team to distracted the little tough Hummer guard , while the other took a quick feed. I know they worked together because I would see them take a break and rest side by side on a far away branch from the feeders.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:32 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,714,059 times
Sunflower, thanks for giving us a link to such beautiful pictures!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden