Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 11:57 AM

3 posts, read 12,208 times

Advertisements

We saw one this summer (June/July) on our deck in St. Peters, MO.
Every year I plant mini-petunias and they seem to be attracted to them. Have had a bird feeder up for them but not this year - they prefer the feeder! Not many seen this year because of the lack of a feeder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 01:02 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
We have dozens at our house in Birmingham. Of course, we have a hummingbird feeder. The little buggers are mean, too. They'll run each other off, even though there's plenty of places at the feeder.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:26 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,921 times
Dear fellow hummingbird lovers,
I have an incredible link for you. It's the birth of a hummingbird! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Hummer Nest '05

Old 08-11-2008, 03:51 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Sunnydee, thanks so much for the precious look into this hummers' nest..a rare treat!

I like your rules, too, and rep'd you already.

Old 08-11-2008, 04:04 PM

673 posts, read 2,266,617 times
I rep'd you too. What great photos -- thanks for sharing!

I really appreciated the penny to use to see the scale of the nest... As I was viewing the pictures, I was thinking "walnut shell, the nest is the size of a walnut shell," so the penny was great!

Old 08-12-2008, 08:55 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
My neighbor in CA had a couple of hummingbird nests in her orange trees. I never did go and see them and now I'm sad I didn't. I'm sure with all the hummers I have here in NC there must be some nests nearby but my guess is that they wouldn't be easy to spot. And since I have cats they would probably be in the areas a little farther from our house or way up in the top of a tree where I would not be able to see it. I do keep looking though......
A lovely share Sunnydee! Thanks.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:06 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Sunnydee--I loved that link.
What an intricate, darling little nest, not to mention the cute babies and industrious parenting.

As I said in the other thread, the hummers love my tubular pink flowers, they were just here sampling.
But they don't like my feeder.
I changed out the food, I did everything I thought I should do, but they just leave it be.
Oh well, I do have a good time watching those little guys buzzing about.
At least I have the right flowers.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:50 AM

1,075 posts, read 4,310,497 times
Blue, it's great that you have the right flowers, so much better for them.

I keep changing my feeders also, but find they are preferring the flowers these days.

Seems they need the feeders more in the spring and fall just before migrating south for the winter.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:57 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
There aren't many flowers blooming right now in our immediate area so the hummers are attacking my feeder--literally! I went through a one cup feeder in a matter of hours today. Infact the little buggers were watching me thorough the kitchen window to see if I was preparing their next feeder mix!! I'm nearly out of sugar, 3 lbs, and it's only been a couple of weeks! I guess they are preparing for their long winter flights! Maybe time to put up another feeder!!
Maybe it's the new youngins' coming to eat??!!

Old 08-13-2008, 03:32 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,135,388 times
I have been able to sit on the front porch to enjoy my coffee in Cincinnati the past few weeks due to our odd cool august weather (55 at night--upper 70s during the day and all sun...)and the finches and hummingbirds are all over my front flower bed. I planted a great bed about 3 years ago along sidewalk up to my front porch and it was the best thing we ever did. We get comments all the time on that bed and it is packed it plants. The finches love the cone flowers (we have the common pink/purple and white and some newer yellow and orange ones) and the humming birds love the bee balm. They are so pretty to watch. I have a regular visitor who is a beautiful green. My parents have humming bird feeders along their wrap around porch in eastern ohio and they are much braver out there...it doesnt matter how big the family gathering, the humming birds come out to enjoy the party too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden