Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 11:01 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,140,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
It's her way getting back at him for refusing to sweep the leaves.

One thing we have not ask the OP: is the man capable of operating mechanical machinery?

He's in his prime in his 30s yet he pays someone $110 a month to mow his "pretty small yard"?

He maybe in a greater challenge than we realized

There is 60 homes in this development and i only seen 2 people mow their own grass. Everyone else hires lawn service.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2020, 11:21 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
There is 60 homes in this development and i only seen 2 people mow their own grass. Everyone else hires lawn service.
What does that have to do with anything? If your lawn takes 5 minutes to mow, it seems silly to pay someone else to do it. In my area most people have larger lots and most people mow their own lawns. There are some with a service, but I’ve even seen people with large yards doing their own aeration and over seeding (which I paid someone to do although I mow myself as a fortysomething female next to two other houses with women around my age who also do their own mowing).

Old 11-03-2020, 12:10 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,140,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
What does that have to do with anything? If your lawn takes 5 minutes to mow, it seems silly to pay someone else to do it. In my area most people have larger lots and most people mow their own lawns. There are some with a service, but I’ve even seen people with large yards doing their own aeration and over seeding (which I paid someone to do although I mow myself as a fortysomething female next to two other houses with women around my age who also do their own mowing).

I guess it's the culture. Not sure how to explain it. Homeowners just don't seem to want to do their own lawn maintenance once they have the money to purchase the property. Unless you purchased house over 15 years ago, you're paying 1 mil+ in this area.

Old 11-03-2020, 04:25 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Same here except now with the new generation moving in who wouldn't be caught dead doing a man's job (I thought that mentality vanished a long time ago - well it's back) the 2 other single women on my block have started hiring it done because they were pretty much shamed into it. What? Go ahead and try to shame me into it. I can afford to hire it done (that's what it's all about - people like to think if you do your own you can't afford to hire it) but I prefer to do my own. I use to hire it out but then you have to deal with them not showing up or it's raining and when are you coming - I have dogs so I needed to know when to have the gate unlocked and the yard cleaned up, etc... It got to be more work than just doing it myself.

Old 11-04-2020, 03:42 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Thanks for everyone suggestion, I told wife i will get the recommendation not that I would agree to drop lawn service In all seriousness we got new neighbor and they are having their kids do it. At the end of the day if boss absolutely wants me to drop the service, i will have no choice
That's what happens when you marry for money.

Old 11-04-2020, 07:19 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,652,303 times
LOL, I am retired and mowing lawn is sort of mindless, yet productive work. Small sense of accomplishment. As kid I remember mowing lawns for $4, BIG lawns.. with my push 3.5hp mower and gas. Now fairly small modest lawn where I live is around $30. And some want $100 or such for size lawn I mowed for $4 as a kid. Yea unless I become physically unable to mow, not be hiring it done. If its too big for me to mow, then I need a smaller lawn..... or a four foot finishing mower behind a tractor. I saw posting somewhere showing a rather cool homemade one. Instead of deck spindles and belts and larger engine, he used three lawn mower engines mounted side by side by side. Ran them off a common gas tank. Pulled it with 4 wheeler I think. Anyway it was thinking outside the box, for price of three cheap mowers off Craigslist. Rather that than some crazy expensive riding mower.

Old 11-04-2020, 07:41 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,315,790 times
Well, I'm physically robust and more than capable of mowing my own yard, yet I pay more than OP per month to have a guy do all the mowing and edging (1/5 acre, so a standard smallish city lot). Right now in my life my time is worth more than my money; I find mowing and edging to be very boring; and what time I have available for yard work I'd rather spend on the things I find more enjoyable - trimming bushes, planting flowers, fertilizing, and so on. It also means I'm not spending time wrestling with small IC engines, and I don't have to make room for a lawn mower.

After retirement I fully expect to take up mowing and edging the yard myself.

For me there's nothing status-symbol about hiring someone to mow the yard; I can't speak for my millennial neighbors.

Old 11-08-2020, 07:02 AM

30,431 posts, read 21,241,024 times
My EGO is so much better than gas las. I would never pay anyone since they never show up and run over planets grant.

Old 11-08-2020, 06:29 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,835,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
My EGO is so much better than gas las. I would never pay anyone since they never show up and run over planets grant.
Please explain how they are able to run over the plants if they don't show up.

Pup.

Old 11-08-2020, 06:53 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Please explain how they are able to run over the plants if they don't show up.

Pup.
Probably when they do show up.

Here's one for ya - I had one guy run over a bag of mulch. "I wonder what will happen if I run over this bag" I think that's the day I ordered my mower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden